1.5
2 reviews
2.2

The oldest course at Palmetto Dunes and is a long-time favorite on the island. This facility features an extensive lagoon system which winds through the course impacting play on eleven holes. Add some of Jones' seemingly patented bunkers and large, well-bunkered greens and you've got plenty of good golf ahead of you here.

This Palmetto Dunes Resort course is well-known for its many views of the ocean. The finest is found at the 10th hole, a par-5 on the card of 540 yards. Its green is set out by the ocean, and it takes three good shots to reach it when the wind is blowing in your face

Year Built 1970

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 Most Improved U.S. Golf Courses (2020 #14)
  • Golf Advisor: Top Courses in South Carolina (2017 #14) (2015 #3)

not worth the money

nice but not magnificent course but not value for the price. conditioning was average at best. Greens were ok but slow. The scenery is nice but not what one would expect for ocean course. bunkers were quite tough but well maintained.

Connecticut Advisor

Way, way too expensive!!

Green fees $185
Range balls $15

There was NOTHING about this facility that justifies this level of gouging. Nothing.

Greens were sandy and bumpy. No rakes in the bunkers. No ball washers. Range is covered (big whoop). Staff was okay…certainly nothing noteworthy.

Bottom line is that this was way, way too much to pay for vacation golf.

Commented on 11/07/2021

I 100% agree. just played there Nov 4 and course was TERRIBLE . was told due to overseeding and they are still at $185.

I'm from Alabama and play and familiar with RTJ courses here in Alabama. They are absolutely great to play at a great value. I used a short vacation to go to HILTON HEAD SC , to play at the place everyone in golf has heard of or would like to play. I looked on your site and it was rated very high, in the top 10 to play, so I booked it. I took a good friend with me. I have never been so disappointed in a course except the one we played the next day for the VALUE in my life. The cost was very high for a course that was ok at it's best. You might want to reevaluate this course. It is not a top 10 course and the value was not there. Thanks Wesley Rich

This is an amazing course, I went out and played with some buddies and it was great.

Great Course!

I have heard a lot about this course and everything was pretty much true. Great course layout, conditions were really good, and you can score here. People were friendly and they even gave us a replay for $20 each. Great day! Started had good advice - take an extra club on approach shots. Almost every green was elevated with some protected by water or bunkers so the extra club was good advice.

Such a disappointment!

We were super excited to play the Jones course at Palmetto Dunes while visiting Hilton Head. When we booked, we were absolutely comfortable with the greens fees given it is considered a "must play" in South Carolina. Checking in, the golf shop staff was mildly friendly, and the starter was exceptionally warm and personable. The course, however, was in wretched condition, and we are talking well beyond seasonal weather considerations. The grass on the tee boxes was so high and weedy that it was higher than my ball on my tee. The fairways were a sea of un-attended divots and the greens were topdressed in a thick layer of sand, which we were not informed about until the first tee. One of the bathrooms on the course was out of service, which we were not warned about, and the clubhouse "dining" option is a glorified snack bar. We were stunned about how poorly this golf course was maintained, which is such a shame given the amazing bones of this layout. It could be the crown jewel of the Hilton Head golf options, and it just feels neglected and left to die. For the same price that we paid here, we played Atlantic Dunes at Sea Pines and there is zero point zero comparison (their conditions, clubhouse and staff far surpassed Palmetto Dunes). I hope that something changes with management and this potential gem of a course comes back to life.

Nice course, a bit overpriced

Overall had a nice day on the RTJ course. Staff was friendly, conditions were great, and the majority of the course is beautiful.

The pace was a bit on the slow side, I was a single that was paired with another, so I know we move quicker, but at times we were at a standstill.

Four or five holes run parallel to the major road/highway on the island. The road noise is not avoidable, but not something you expect at that price point. I feel for the money, there are better options.

Fantastic Track

Fantastic track! Would love to play it again! Much more difficult than anticipated as the course plays tight, especially when contending with the breeze off the ocean. Gee to green I’m great shape, including bunkers. Friendly staff, great selection in the clubhouse.

Scenic course-play off hours because it is $$$$

This is my rotation of courses to play on HHI. It has some great shot making holes including a 180 par three all carry over water with a skinny green . A signature hole that takes you out to the ocean and a finishing hole that is a lot of fun.

Fairways for the most part are very generous and so are the greens

Try to play after 11 or in the afternoon as the morning rate is expensive but you must give this track a chance

Great Couse

All around, a great course with excellent conditions and layout... beautiful views.

Georgia Advisor

Fun Course in Excellent Condition

I have played this course several times. Each time I play the course, I always leave having a great experience and love the course and the great conditions. Staff was great from the moment we arrived. Friendly staff taking our bags an loading them on carts. Starter was very helpful, and friendly explaining everything about course and the GPS on the carts.

Practice range is not great at all. You have to hit of mats at the range and cannot hit from the grass. No short game practice area other than a putting green. I would expect a higher end course like this would have a grass area to hit range balls.

Due to COVID-19, the course has plenty of coolers and ice to put on the carts, but to get a cooler with ice you have to request one. They no longer automatically put a cooler, ice as well as towels on each cart. Whey you pay over $100 per round you would expect to at least have a cooler with ice, especially when the temperature was 95 degrees with high humidity. Thank goodness the beverage cart person was great and we saw the beverage cart five times during the round.

The course, as always, was in very good condition. Typically of Robert Trent Jones courses, there are lots of large, deep bunkers. The greens are very large and it is easy to three putt if you are not near the hole. The greens have lots of humps, slopes and undulations.

The course is always very well taken care of. The best and also the signature hole is hole #10 where you have a excellent view of the ocean while on the green. The course provides a variety of fun and challenges. All in all, it is a great course and lots of fun.

Poor Customer Service

Coming from Cincinnati for our annual guys golf trip (4 years running), we played 6 courses in 6 days.  Cupp course on Plantation Hall, RTJ, Arthur Hills, Hilton Head National, CC of Hilton Head and Oyster Reef.
Our experience at RTJ was the worst of the week.  I don't mind paying a lot of money to play a good golf course and the course was in good shape, but with an expensive round, I expect great customer service like we received at the other courses.  Our round started with the cart guy sitting in a cart on his cell phone not willing to get up and help us when we pulled around until an older gentleman working told him to get up.   We then asked for a second cart if possible because myself and the guy with me weren't playing together.  He said ok but then just put the clubs on the same cart.  Not that big of a deal.  We go in the pro shop to pay to find out we have to pay extra for range balls.  I think its ridiculous that you guys charge for range balls.  We didn't have to pay for them at any of the other courses.  Near $150 round and you're charging range balls off turf, not even grass?  We go get breakfast in the bar and we are greeted by a women who loudly asks us "what do you want?"  It was rude and poor service.  We go out to play our round and with near 100 degree temps, we find the entire round (minus the snack house-which is cash only) to not have any drinking water on the course.  How are there no Igloo coolers full of water in a place where its so hot.  Every other course in the country has them...It was almost pass out hot.  We saw the cart girl 1 time in 18 holes.  We saw 1 drinking fountain that didn't work.  We got back at the end of our round frustrated only to have one of our guys complain and he received more poor customer service in the attitude he received in the pro shop.  The cart boys at the end told us there should've been water in our coolers for us.  There wasn't.  We should've had towels in our cart, there wasn't.

My favorite course on HHI

It was a crazy hot day and RTJ @ PD didn’t leave you to swelter. They provided free bottled water and a cooler full of ice, and recommended placing on of their towels in the ice then putting around your neck, definitely helped! Course was in excellent shape. My only complaint was the hardness of the greens. They were fast and it was difficult to get your ball to stick. The layout is excellent and each hole was unique.

Plays Once a year

Great Expirience

First class from start to finish. Staff was great from the moment we arrived. Friendly staff taking our bags an loading them on carts. Starter explaining everything about course and carts. The course was meticulously taken care of. Everything was well trimmed from sand traps to greens. Beautiful views and best golf experience ever. Worth every penny. Highly recommend.

Very Warm Day at Robert Trent Jones

This golf course provides a variety of challenges. There are multiple bunkers on every hole and water on most of the back nine. I enjoyed the back nine a lot more than the front. The course was in great shape. The range was very nice as well. I would most likely play it again if I had the chance. Is it worth $79? Probably not. But it’s still a great course to play if you’re at Hilton Head. My only advice would be to play in the morning or late afternoon if you go in the summer. It was very hot on us and we played in the afternoon.

Visited Hilton Head on a guys weekend and played Robert Trent Jones. Out of the 3 courses at Palmetto Dunes, Robert Trent seemed to be a little easier with some wide fairways and bigger greens. #10 has a great view of the ocean! The greens rolled true all weekend on all the courses. Definitely plan on coming back in the future!!

Beautiful Course

Beautiful golf course that was in great shape. Greens rolled smoothly and tough to find a bad lie in the fairway. Very scenic course with #10 being the signature hole finishing right by the ocean. Had some open fairways if you sprayed the driver a little, while still having great character throughout every hole. Great staff as well as a delicious restaurant attached to the clubhouse. Would definitely come back to play again.

No sweatpants allowed

You can’t wear sweats at the golf range even though this is not mentioned in the course dress code. If you do show up in sweat pants you will be told this is not “proper golf attire” and kicked off the premises.

Disgusted by the Lack of Respect Shown to Golfers

The grounds crew followed us from hole #9 through #18 continuously working on the bunkers while we played. They ran their equipment and bounced from bunker to bunker while we were hitting. I've never seen that lack of respect for golfers from a grounds crew ever.

acd9ec6e-4574-5cc7-b6ae-0c3c58bf8fe4
Commented on 07/27/2018

Hello u000006234332,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and concerns about your recent golfing experience at Robert Trent Jones. We strive to provide a memorable experience for all guests and apologize that your expectations were not met. While our golf course maintenance teams are working diligently to improve and maintain our course, they should also be doing so within the etiquette and courtesy of our guests.

I'd like to connect with you directly to discuss your experience further to ensure your concerns are addressed. I may be reached at (843) 785-1131 or you can email your contact information to csinclair@palmettodunes.com and I will reach out as soon as possible. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future to provide you a rejuvenating round at one of our three courses.

Warm regards,

Clark Sinclair, Palmetto Dunes Oceanfront Resort - Director of Golf

Hilton Head Island, South Carolina
HILTON HEAD ISLAND, SC | Enjoy up to 5 nights' accommodations at The Westin Hilton Head Island Resort & Spa and and up to 4 rounds of golf at Palmetto Dunes Golf Club (Fazio, Hills & Jones Courses) and the Country Club of Hilton Head.
KIAWAH ISLAND, SC | Enjoy 5 nights' accommodations in a Resort Class Villa at Kiawah Island Golf Resort and play 4 rounds of golf at Osprey Point, Turtle Point, Cougar Point and Ocean Course.
CHARLESTON, SC | Enjoy 5 nights' accommodations at The Francis Marion Hotel and play 4 rounds of golf at the Links at Stono Ferry, Dunes West GC, Charleston National Country Club & Rivertowne Country Club.
SEA ISLAND, GA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at The Inn at Sea Island and 3 rounds at Sea Island Seaside, Plantation & Retreat Courses.