Type Public/Resort
Style Desert

The Cholla golf course at We-Ko-Pa Golf Club, open since 2001, receives distinctions: The course, created over 7,225 yards by Scott Miller, made Sports Illustrated's list of the 10 best new public courses when it debuted. Other honors include the 2006-07 Zagat Survey's highest rating in Arizona and Golfweek's No. 2 best Arizona public course in 2006. The golf club sits near Scottsdale and Fountain Hills, on the Fort McDowell Yavapai Nation's territory, and runs through some of the Sonora Desert that sill remains intact, as yet untouched by the surrounding commercial and residential developments. We-Ko-Pa means "Four Peaks" in the Yavapai language.

A round of golf on the Cholla Course at the We-Ko-Pa Golf Club kicks off on a par-4 hole that measures 351 yards from the Tournament tees. Things get crazy long on the 18th hole, a par 5 that plays to 605 yards from the Tournament tees.

A round of golf on the Cholla Course at the We-Ko-Pa Golf Club concludes on a relatively short par 4 that measures 432 yards.

Year Built 2001
Greens TiffDwarf Grass
Architect Scott Miller (2001)

Credit Cards Accepted Yes
Dress code Proper golf attire, no denim.

Clubhouse, Conference Facilities, Banquet Facilities

Golf Advisor

Renovated Cholla back open for 15th anniversary

The original course at We-Ko-Pa, the Cholla, is back open after a summer under the knife. With the exception of the 8th hole, there really isn't all that much of a noticeable difference besides about 7 acres of turf removed (all in areas where balls don't normally go - like around tee boxes and behind greens). New sand and greens were installed as well as a brand new irrigation system. Also worth mentioning, the golf carts for both courses now have GPS and USB plug-ins.

The Cholla is indisputably among the ten best public courses in the valley, and when you consider that peak rates are closer to $200 than $300, it is very good relative value. I like the Saguaro more for a few reasons, most notably the pace of play. Cholla seems to have a few more bottlenecks on it, particularly early on. That said, there are as many candidates for signature hole on Cholla, like the 8th and 17th holes among many others, as on Saguaro. It would be silly to come here and play one and not the other.

Great course with great scenery.. If you play, there is no water on the course. They gave you 1 bottle of water in your cooler and thankfully the starter gave us an extra. Cart girl came around on our 1st and 9th hole.. conditions otherwise were excellent.

Just a Great Great Golf Course

This is a beautiful, scenic, aesthetically well designed just outstanding venue. Course conditions were impeccable. Most of the holes would be the signature holes in other places. Top ten golf course I have played.

AMAZING!

This course is amazing. The conditions right not are spectacular for summer in AZ. Food at the turn was great as well! I would highly recommend going to check this place out if you are in the area!

California Advisor

Bring Your "A" Game

This track is quite a contrast from the sister Saguaro course. Cholla is shorter but requires more precise shots and club selection. Course knowledge is very helpful here. Both tracks are in very good condition and greens rolled true. All in all, both tracks are well worth the play and expect 2 different playing experiences, both very entertaining.

Incentivized Review

Great resort course

Course is in great condition. Pace of play was 4 hours which is not too bad. The course layout is fun with great views.

Incentivized Review

Favorite AZ course

I've played here numerous times. It is actually my favorite Arizona course. The great thing about the course is the diversity of holes. Every hole is like a signature hole. It's great to play a course with no houses .
If you cant make it to Bandon, this is a great alternative. Enjoy

Truly Spectacular

From the moment you pull up to the bag drop you know this is going to be special. Everyone we came in contact with at We-Ko-Pa was great to deal with. As for the course, the layout is one of the best I have seen in all of Arizona. And the views, wow the views, my camera couldn’t keep up with all of the scenic shots from the course. The layout itself is fair but challenging in spots. Some holes have some very tight landing areas and the greens were well bunkered. The elevation changes, though not dramatic like other courses in the area, still make you think over the ball. The greens were a tiny bit slow but they were consistent throughout. This is a must play for your buddy trip itineraries in AZ.

Great conditions

Tee’d off around 1130 and played in 2.5 hours as a single....did not catch up to anyone until hole 16. Not the most difficult course even though I hit a few tee shots out of bounds. All were poor shots and not due to lack of familiarity as the in-cart GPS made getting around the foreign course Pretty straightforward. Greens were perfect . $38 bucks as a AZ resident was a heck of deal. Overall fun course!

One of the Best I've Played

I loved We-Ko-Pa. Played 36 holes. Greens were perfect! So were the bunkers and fairways. Hats off to the groundskeepers and course designer here. In addition to pristine conditions the views are breathtaking. Maybe Saguaro has slightly better views. I don't think I could ask much more out of the quality of a course or conditions. Cart staff were friendly, pro shop front staff were OK. GPS on carts, free driving range and practice area. We ate at the clubhouse, the food was awesome but the service was bad / slow. Very expensive for a blue collar guy like me, but I really, really enjoyed it. Got a more reasonable twilight rate for the second 18.

I’ve Definitely Had Better Experiences

Ok, the layout is great, with breathtaking views. The course condition was also great. But when I’m paying a premium price at a course besides layout and condition I expect service, to be treated like they’re happy that I chose their course, over the many other options.. I’ve been to many courses, in the area where as soon as i pull up right through to when I am leaving I feel like I’ve been treated like a valued guest. I shouldn’t be feeling like it is I who should be gratefully to playing at their facility.
The person at bag drop, did ask how I was, but after that it seemed like she rather be somewhere else. No direction was given and after numerous minutes I tracked down my clubs. The pro shop person definitely gave me the impression that I should be grateful to be there. The only friendly person I encountered was the starter. Rarely saw a marshal, pace of play was terrible for this caliber and cost of course, 4 hours 45 minutes to play 18.
Supposedly we-ko-pa is rated as one of the top places to play, I say this is because of the layout/conditions, not the staff.
Been there done it.
I wouldn’t recommend this course.

A great round of golf

Although I didn't play close to my usual round of golf, our foursome represented themselves well. 4 Seniors (60's and 70's) handicaps from 6 to 20.
Staff - As good as I have ever experienced across the board. Friendly and helpful to a fault
Course - Wow, a thinking persons golf course. Every hole unique and a challenge, but fair. As well designed a golf course as I have ever played
Conditions - Greens excellent condition, relatively fast but not unmanageable
Fairways - close cut, perfect
Tee boxes - ditto fairways, clean as a whistle
Negatives - no ball cleaners on the course as they are on each golf cart. Our cart had no water in the ball cleaner. A few bunkers had almost no sand in their low spots.
I'll be back......often

Missouri Advisor

Played During Waste Management Open Week

Played during 2016 Waste Management Open week- the course was very expensive as all local courses are that week due to the influx of golfers (supply and demand I guess) - that would be my only complaint. The course was fantastic and super fun and in good condition - I would love to come back!

One of the best I've played

Going into the round, I knew the course would be great. But the pictures do not do it justice.

I spent weeks planning which 2 courses to play in the Phoenix area for my first taste of golf in the area. And choose according to my tastes.

So we played this and Quintero. Quintero was great, but Cholla has 0 bad holes on it. 18 gems.

I've played well over 100 courses all over the world, and this is right up there with the best I've played.

Phenomenal condition (greens slower due to overseed, which was the only downside), incredible layout/design.

I know many prefer Saguaro, which I have not played. But I don't see how it could beat Cholla.

I'll be back to Phoenix to play more golf in the future.

But I emplore any visting the area wondering where to play - play Cholla at WeKoPa, it will not disappoint

Worst golf ever

visiting the Scottsdale area for 10 days of golf and was told we had to try We-Ko-Pa when we arrive one course was closed for over seeding and they had already shaved the fairway down to nothing on the Cholla course .I was like playing on cement At the pro shop they gave us a 10 dollar discount of the full price , This was a total rip off and I was so disappointed with the conditions They should have never lets us tee off Shame on them for charging this price for the worst round of golf in Scottsdale that week

need to play here more often

the good news weather perfect for this time of year,courses in very good shape fairways and greens almost perfect first group out have separate ranges for the two courses very friendly staff,bad news G.P.S. is kinda confusing if not used to playing the course lots of blind tee shots due to G.P.S. not giving good information,sand in the bunkers is not the typical "desert"sand kinda the white fluffy stuff have to be able to play a different kind of bunker shot than what is normal for the phoenix desert,beverage cart came around quite often good thing and she was "very friendly and nice" kelly from Cleveland,Oh

Top Choice

Played this course this last weekend with a group of old friends from the East Coast. We played several other very high profile courses in Scottsdale over the weekend, and all agreed without hesitation that this was our favorite. The tee sheet was full, but in the course of our round we saw only brief glimpses of other groups both ahead and behind us. The course was wonderful both aesthetically and from a golf standpoint. Staff was great to work with. Hope to come back soon.

Wisconsin Advisor

Quinessential Desert Golf

I could not make it to We Ko Pa during my fall visit to AZ because the course was closed for overseeding. I was excited when it was in the rotation for my annual buddies trip because I have heard so many good things about it.
Perfect conditions. Carpet like fairways and awesome greens that rolled true and were green. By far the best that we played the entire week during peak season. I know they have an advantage when it comes to watering and they definitely use it.
The course is very playable from the combines tees although shorter hitters may have trouble with some of the forced carries off the tee box. Holes offer a nice variety of doglegs and strategic options and long hitters can blast away on most holes but you must know where to place your tee shots. Great views on the Cholla and I cannot wait to come back.

Great desert golf experience. Scenic, no surrounding developments and wonderful conditions. Fairways are generous but if you miss by much it can be penal. Key to scoring is in the approach—although the greens are large, if missed in regulation or in the wrong spot, scoring is difficult. Greens are undulating and challenging, but very fair. Must play course for the desert experience and challenge.

Massachusetts Advisor

Cholla Was the Perfect Choice for Great Golf

I got to play the Cholla course on a perfect Wednesday while vacationing in AZ. I had played the Saguaro course 2 years ago and loved it, so I had high expectations for Cholla. With temps in the 70's, it was a perfect day to let the ball fly. We played the Composite tees at 6500 yards, and that was right on for us. Every aspect of this course was excellent on this day from tees to fairways to greens and even the hazards. There are 18 clearly unique holes on Cholla that use elevation changes and natural effects to challenge your game. You must be careful to cautious when putting, as some putts can easily get away from you if you are too aggressive. We enjoyed every minute of the 4:20 we spent on Cholla. It was a perfectly paced and well managed round on this deservedly busy golf destination. The only back up was at the halfway house on the 10th tee that we hit at exactly 12:00. I would urge any golfers, regardless of handicap, to get a round or 2 in at We Ko Pa if you are anywhere within 50 miles of it. You will not be disappointed. I assure you that.

Scottsdale, Arizona
Scottsdale, Arizona
Rio Verde, Arizona
PHOENIX/SCOTTSDALE | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at the Scottsdale Plaza Resort and 4 rounds of golf at Ocotillo Golf Club, McDowell Mountain, Papago Golf Club and Eagle Mountain Golf Club.
PHOENIX/SCOTTSDALE | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Four Seasons - Scottsdale and 3 rounds of golf at Troon North Golf Club, Boulders Golf Club and Quintero Golf Club.
$69,750 (USD)
SCOTTSDALE, AZ | This exclusive golf experience includes a 3 nights's stay at Four Seasons Troon North, 2 rounds of golf at Troon North Golf Club and a day with Colin Montgomerie.
PHOENIX/SCOTTSDALE | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Westin Kierland Resort & Spa and 6 rounds of golf at Troon North Golf Club, Whirlwind Golf Club, and Westin Kierland.
PHOENIX/SCOTTSDALE | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Westin Kierland Resort & Spa and 3 rounds of golf at Troon North Golf Club, Westin Kierland Golf Club, & Boulders Golf Club.