The par-3 fifth hole at Black Lake Golf Club features a waste bunker from tee to green

Style Traditional
Black Lake Golf Club

Fairways Pennlinks & Providence
Greens Providence
Golf Season April - October
Architect Rees Jones (2000) Greg Muirhead (2000)

Golf School Academy Yes - "Mc's Golf Academy"

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, MC, AMEX
Metal Spikes Allowed Soft spikes only
Dress code Proper golf attire required.

Bar, Snacks, Grill

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities, Lockers

Dinner 6
A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 10

Beautiful and challenging!

Absolutely beautiful! The natural landscape is awesome. Bring your A-game, it's long with some tight fairways and unforgiving roughs; it's a championship course. The staff was very friendly and the carts with gps tablets was a nice touch. I can't wait to play again next year. Highly recommended.

Black Lake reaffirms appreciation

On my anniversary trip, I revisited Black Lake Gold Club to play 18 holes. The town of Onaway, UAW Lodge and Black Lake Golf Club have reaffirmed my appreciation! The Clubhouse, staff, restaurant, links, Pro shop and amenities exceed expectations and do not disappoint! The patrons are friendly and welcoming and allowed me (a single) to join their 3-piece and we shared laughs and tips and clubs the whole day thru. The links are beautiful and provide and incredible habitat for the animals that occupy this lush forested location. This is one of my favorite courses in the country and I'd recommend anyone play here at least once! Be sure to try the delicious margaritas and best of luck on that long 18th hole!

Black Lake is totally worth the drive!!

First time here. Course is so great!! Cant say enough about it. Cut out of the woods - no houses on this bad mother! Clean and mean with elevation changes babbling brooks running thru it and dear and turkey out and about. Starters were so cool and very informative. Cart had perfect GPS system too. Most impressive was it was early in the morning and they let my broken down 84 year old Dad ride along in the cart with me for no charge! Unforgettable experience for both of us!! Big Thanks!! Don’t miss this place.

Absolute Gem

It’s been a long time since I’ve played this course, and it was better than I remember (I was maybe 16 the first time I played). Very challenging and plays longer than listed. if you don’t hit the fairways, you’ll be in trouble. But there are also a fair share of inviting fairways. Greens were quick, and some had multiple tiers but very well kept. Sand traps had fine sand, not dirt with rocks in it like other courses. Layout was beautiful; tough to beat the pine trees lining every fairway with multiple small ponds and ravines. Beautiful spring Saturday am and the course wasn’t crowded at all. Will be returning.

Boober 97

Staff was awesomel! Course in beautiful condition! $$ was vey affordable!

Excellent course

Challenging, yet very playable. Great layout. Awesome GPS in carts. Probably can't find a better course for the money. Will return many times.

Beautiful golf course during fall foliage

It is a beautiful course, especially during fall foliage season. Friendly staff. Strongly recommended.

The pace was excruciating.

1 :30 hour pace through the first seven holes, Forty minutes to play 8 and 9. When made the turn, there were literally 5 groups at the tenth tee box. There wasn't a starter to get play moving or even an explanation. This resulted in a 6+ hour round and we played the last hole in the dark.
With all of the different courses to choose from in the surrounding areas, it's not worth the extra forty minute drive....I'm just saying

Course nice, lacking customer service and ...

Found the course in good condition.
When we paid no receipt was provided, and person in pro shop disinterested.
We were charged gratuity to have our golf bags placed on the golf cart, this was not optional. The individual did not wear gloves or appear to use a hand sanitizer. Also disinterested
The Starter was the shining moment in customer service, he offered some course incite, and wished us a good round.
The GPS on the cart was not always helpful. While driving on the paved cart path the GPS would stop showing the selected hole and ask us to return to the cart path, annoying! And the GPS stopped at the beginning of the 17th hole, I found this annoying as the score card does not show pictures of each hole, thus the last two holes we were hitting blind.
Two of the sand traps were difficult to physically enter and exit from, and I fell during one attempt.
When leaving the course again limited COVID, no gloves yet they instist on handling your golf bag, remember they include their gratuity as a separate charge. When making Tee Time all fees especially mandatory gratuity should be shared to a customer.

Amazing hidden gem!

After playing many courses both collegiate my and professionally, this course is a very strong track. Great design and condition. One of the most hidden courses I’ve played which intrigued me. When I saw Reese Jones designed it, I wanted to give it a go. Played long when I played as it was wet. Great practice facility, clubhouse and restaurant. I highly recommend.

A Northern Michigan Gem!

An experience you can only get in Northern Michigan. The course is beautiful and in excellent condition. Greens were very soft in the morning hours and they never quite rolled like i expected. Otherwise, well worth the trip.

Must Play

Played this course twice in a weekend on a golf trip. Worth the drive to the middle of nowhere. Beautiful clubhouse, go inside and check it out. Only thing I didn’t care for was the additional charge for bag handling and I put the bag on the cart myself. Very tough course, it’s going to test every club in your bag. Rough is thick, and the greens roll fast and true. Each hole feels like it’s by itself - you don’t have people from other holes hitting into you ever. We will be back for sure.

A gem in the north woods

Played this course for the 2nd time in 3 years. At one time if you were not allied with the UAW, you could not play it. Outstanding layout in the middle of nowhere Michigan (Onaway). I will defiantly play this again !

Onaway, Michigan
Cheboygan, Michigan
Mullett Lake, Michigan
Indian River, Michigan
Wolverine, Michigan
Cheboygan, Michigan
Vanderbilt, Michigan
Savor the marvelous destination that is Northern Michigan and enjoy up to 36 holes a day during the long summer days! Our Boyne golf package features exceptional flexibility and selection thanks to two of the state's finest multi-course golf resorts.
KOHLER, WI | Enjoy 2 nights’ accommodations at The American Club or Inn at Woodlake, and 3 rounds of golf at Blackwolf Run and Whistling Straits courses.
KOHLER, WI | Enjoy 3 nights’ accommodations at The American Club or Inn at Woodlake, and 4 rounds of golf at Blackwolf Run and Whistling Straits courses.
LAKE GENEVA, WI | Discover Lake Geneva’s premier must-visit destination at Geneva National Resort & Club. Located off the wooded slopes and shores of Lake Como, the semi-private Geneva National presents 54 holes of legendary golf designed by Arnold Palmer, Gary Player and Lee Trevino, along with on-course lodging at the Cottages & Suites at Geneva National.
NIAGARA FALLS, CAN | Enjoy 2 nights' accommodations at your choice of two hotels and 3 rounds of golf at Legends on the Niagara Battlefield and Usher's Creek courses, and Whirlpool.