Type Semi-Private/Resort
Rams Hill Golf Club

Year Built 1983
Architect Ted Robinson, Sr. (1983) Tom Fazio (2007) Dennis Wise (2007) Jackson Kahn Design (2013)

Golf Simulator Yes

Beverage Carts

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 36

My favorite CA desert course

This course is beautiful, challenging, and lots of fun. There are many wonderful courses in the Palm Desert area, where we stay on our annual CA trip. Rams Hill is an hour and half drive, but so good we always make the trip.

Great course.

Upon arriving at the first tee as a single I was told I would be grouped with someone another two some. They didn't show and I went off as a single. Very windy at first and no one behind me I didn't push the group ahead. The wind stopped and temp warmed up. Had a great time, course is in excellent shape nice lay out and somewhat forgiving fairways. Definitely will be back!

Yikes!

What has happened to my favorite course? This course usually has 0 dry grass anywhere and the entire fairways were dry or with no grass today. Course conditions are going down and prices keep going up? How does that work? Smh

Commented on 03/09/2021

Dear u618964340,
Rams Hill takes great pride in the awards we have won over the years for our course conditioning. Unfortunately, this fall right after we mowed our newly planted ryegrass, unseasonably hot and humid weather brought with it a fungus called Grey Leaf Spot that attacks the crown of the ryegrass plant and is very destructive. Fortunately, we caught and treated the disease immediately and contained the damage to just some of our fairways. This particular disease attacked us as well as some courses in the Coachella Valley that overseeded in the same window as we did. Fortunately, our greens, tees and roughs are all very good and have not been affected. The fairways will heal later this month when warmer weather allows our bermudagrass base to awaken from winter dormancy and we should return to the conditioning we and our guests have come to expect and appreciate.

COO/GM Rams Hill

Rams Hill review

I have played this course every year for ten years. It is in the poorest condition I have seen. The rates were the highest in ten years while the condition the poorest. Greens putted fine but were inconsistent as to firmness and acceptability to good golf shots.
I heard from local friends they overseeded earlier than usual and this maybe contributed to the dead area in fairways and spotty conditions of the greens.
I love the layout and atmosphere of Rams Hill. If the conditions next year are what was the norm of years past than the greens fees would be appropriate. The present condition of the course I would compare to a decent public course in the 60 dollar range.

Commented on 03/02/2021

Dear mstevnw, First let me thank you for being a longtime fan of Rams Hill.I am very sorry you were disappointed in your recent round. Rams Hill has built its reputation on having the best playing conditions in Southern California, currently, Rams Hill's fairways fall short of our high expectations. Due to the unseasonal heat and humidity in October and November Rams Hill contracted a turf fungus that has left 5-6 of our fairways with thinning ryegrass. The greens and the remainder of the course however remain in excellent condition. We expect our fairways to heal completely this month when warmer ground temperatures return. I hope you will give us another opportunity to show you why we have been so fortunate to win the awards we have for course conditioning. I would love to have you reach out to me to discuss further. I hope to hear from you.
harry@ramshill.com

Rams Hill GC review

This was the second time we played Rams Hill GC. We enjoyed it so much the first time we came back even though its so remote. The course conditions were (fairways in some spots were in poor condition), while most greens were in good condition. The staff and the food is excellent!

Fairways were very thin not much grass have played the last five years and this is the first time the Fairways were like this

A MUST play golf course!

My first time playing here. Its a spectacular Tom Fazio course and has an awesome layout and "postcard" views on most every hole. The greens and tee boxes are spectacular. Being a Fazio course, most of the greens are multi-tiered. Most of the fairways are very good but some areas are nearly bear on a couple fairways. They are probably about 80% back to ideal conditions but still suffering a bit from a serious winter draught.

Our foursome finished in four hours. We were never rushed from behind and only had to wait on the group in front of us a few times .

Beware that many greens have elevated approaches and being just a little short will roll back from a few feet to as much as 25 feet or more and into the water on some holes.

It's a 2 hour drive from Hemet (where I live) or from Palm Springs but worth the drive at LEAST once.

Layout was great, condition was not worth what we had to pay.

Teed off as a 4 some but we’re really disappointed that they sent out a single right behind us and sent out another single behind the single (made no sense). The course was poorly Maintained and was over priced. Our group was very disappointed.

Commented on 02/25/2021

Dear jimt3t, I am very sorry your group was disappointed in your day. Rams Hill has built its reputation on having the best playing conditions in Southern California, currently, Rams Hill's fairways fall short of our high expectations. Due to the unseasonal heat and humidity in October and November Rams Hill contracted a turf fungus that has left 5-6 of our fairways with thinning ryegrass. The greens and the remainder of the course however remain in excellent condition. We expect our fairways to heal completely in March when warmer ground temperatures return. I hope you will give us another opportunity to show you why we have been so fortunate to win the awards we have for course conditioning. Please feel free to reach out to me to discuss further.
GM/COO
Rams Hill
harry@ramshill.com

Worth the drive. Best spot to play for a weekend

This course is a gem. Quiet, amazing conditions, no one around, it’s just beautiful. Pace of play is 4 hours and everyone is super friendly.

Dry

We play here annually because we’ve come to expect outstanding conditions and don’t mind the “clumsy” amenities. The course itself justified the cost.
Not so this year! It was dry and kinda ugly if you look close. Lots of not-turf that had a greenish color but decent grass is in short supply.
We didn’t feel like the course was worth the cost this year.

Commented on 02/20/2021

Dear u272485255,

First I want to thank you for being a repeat customer of Rams Hill and to also thank you for taking the time to comment. We take great pride in the many awards we win annually for course conditions. This past October, unseasonably hot temperatures and high humidity right after our ryegrass germinated brought with it a fungus that attacked turf on a few of our fairways resulting in thin ryegrass in those areas. We were fortunate that the fungus did not get into our spectacular bent grass greens as they remain immaculate as do the tees, roughs and bunkers. I hope that you and your group will return soon as warm weather will aide the transition from ryegrass to bermudagrass. Thanks again for being a longtime fan of Rams Hill.

COO/GM
Rams Hill

Fun and interesting!

Great layout, pretty holes, fast greens. Look and feel reminded me of Arizona courses. Enjoyed the unique scenery on the drive from Palm Springs. Worth the 1.5 hour drive for something a little different than what we'd been playing around the Coachella valley.

Awesome holes

Each hole has its own characteristics which makes the golf experience special.

Hidden Gem

It was hidden for us, as we traveled 80 miles through rugged looking terrain before we found this CC.
A beautifully laid out course when accuracy is almost required. Since the sloping fairways and moguls might push the ball into 1 of many, many bunkers, it is wise to visualize one's placement before one hits.
Sometimes luck plays and important role as the undulating greens challenged one's eyes and perception. Does it go uphill or does it go downhill? And at a Stimpmeter of 12, one must be very careful or have a bit of luck. Quite exciting to play.

Worth the Trip

Good course and worth the play. Some small issues with course conditions in the fairways but tee boxes and greens were perfect.

Serene & quiet

This course is enjoyable to play very quiet alone in the desert looking forward to play again

Warner Springs, California
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 4 nights' accommodations at La Quinta Resort & Club and 4 rounds of golf at Stadium and Nicklaus Tournament Courses at PGA WEST, and Indian Wells Celebrity Course and Players Courses.
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at La Quinta Resort & Club and 6 rounds of golf at Westin Mission Hills - Pete Dye Course, Mission Hills North - Gary Player Signature Course, Indian Wells Resort courses, PGA WEST Pete Dye Mountain Course, and PGA WEST Pete Dye Dunes Course
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Renaissance Esmeralda Resort & Spa and 2 rounds of golf at Indian Wells Golf Resort - Celebrity & Players courses.
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Renaissance Esmeralda Resort & Spa, and 2 rounds of golf at Indian Wells Golf Resort - Celebrity & Players Courses
PALM SPRINGS, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Westin Mission Hills and 3 rounds of golf at Westin Mission Hills - Pete Dye Course, MIssion Hills North - Gary Player Signature Course, and Indian Wells Resort.