2.1
2 reviews
2 reviews

Year Built 1995
Architect John Harbottle III

Dress code Proper golf attire required. Collared shirts or mock turtlenecks. No T-shirts, cut-off jeans (or ragged jeans), halter tops or tank tops allowed.

Bar

Thick Rough 12

Not very enjoyable

Made two tee times starting at 8;50. When we arrived it was obvious there was a tournament scheduled. When we checked in we were told our tee times were placed in the middle of a men's club tourney. Also was informed there were no range balls available because their picker was down. Also was told cart path only. This course is not conducive to cart path only, especially for the physically challenged. We teed off on #1 and was ready to put out when the ranger said we were being moved to the back nine. We picked up our balls and went over to the back nine and teed off. We then realized the course was being watered on most all holes. Very hard to enjoy a round of golf while dodging sprinklers all day. Couldn't they water at night? I guess they are under water restrictions, but paying $62 I expected better. On #1 my ball went off the fairway to the right. The cart path is on the left. While facing hip replacement surgery a few days after this round, i chose to ride down the service road on the right to expedite my next shot instead of walking 150 yards across the fairway to my ball. I am not very familiar with this course, and could not find my way back to the cart path except to scoot across the fairway. I understand cart path only, but it looked like my only observation. Our group was very careful the previous nine holes with the cart path regulations. When I reached the cart path, the ranger came speeding up to me and told me cart path only. I exclaimed to him the predicament I had been in and my impending surgery. He would hear nothing of my problems and again retorted cart path only in an unfriendly tone. I again told him I was aware of the rule, and again he informed me cart path only. I shot back he didn't have to keep repeating himself, told him I was sorry and it wouldn't happen again. As he was driving away he yelled at me he has had hip surgery, What does that have to do with anything? I will not recommend this course to anyone and will not play there again until they have some obvious course and staff issues resolved!.

Don't play here unless you're in triathlon training

We had 24 players drive to Shining Mountain from out of town and when we made the reservation no one told us it was cart path only.
What a terrible experience it was!
We were not able to drive to the ball to see the lie and position to select a club so we'd park on the path and walk over with a wedge, 6 iron, rescue club while leaving your partner to fend for advancing the cart down the the dirty and dusty paths. There was dust all over the carts and our bags when we finished and we won't be back.
It was a beautiful setting and unique holes but using a lame excuse that water restrictions will cause the course to be overwhelmed by the carts. They also offered medical flags for the carts and golfers that had health challenges but then they found that the cart paths were roped off that they had to stay on the cart paths anyway and couldn't get any closer to the fairways or greens.
Most mountain courses get rain every afternoon especially ones at elevation 8400', like Shining Mountain

MTS Golf

Cart Path only, the cart paths were dirt , that had serious erosion issues. Everything in the cart was loaded w/ lots of dust.
People were friendly but no one inside the building were wearing masks. I thought they had too.
We won't return.

Commented on 09/09/2020

Hi u727757511. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass on your feedback to the teams in charge so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting Shining Mountain Golf Club. We hope to see you again in the future.

Commented on 09/09/2020

Hi u355140756. Thank you so much for the great review. We are glad you had an incredible time, and we hope to see you again soon! Thanks for choosing Shining Mountain Golf Club.

Cart Path Only!

Be aware - CART PATH ONLY! Not really sure why, whereas all the other courses I've played this summer (including other mountain courses) allowed carts in the fairway. I was not aware of this restriction when I booked the tee time, otherwise I probably would not have chosen to play this course.

Commented on 09/04/2020

Hi richramey! Thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is important to us. We will make note and we hope to see you back!

Commented on 09/01/2020

Thank you for your review, u854039319. We will pass along your positive experience to our team at Shining Mountain Golf Club. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Cart Path only makes this course unplayable

This course absolutely sucks - they require cart-path only on a hilly long mountainous course. It is ridiculous to have cart path only. Who knows who their customer base is, but it isn't for anyone older than 30. The course has a weird layout to begin with and to have this ridiculous rule makes the course just another worthless course that we can't play in the southern colorado area.

Commented on 08/31/2020

Hi, u00000213470. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We see you rated the course 1 star and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit. We take single star feedback very seriously at our course. You are welcome to comment further or reach out to our team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing Shining Mountain Golf Club.

Nice day of playing!

Even though the smoke from the fires hampered our view of Pikes Peak, the course was very enjoyable. Loved the layout!

Commented on 08/25/2020

Your feedback is important to us, u314160106340. Thank you for sharing your 5-star experience. We look forward to seeing you again at the course soon! Thanks for choosing Shining Mountain Golf Club.

Fairways in rough shape, greens really slow

The good, course layout is a fun challenge. The fairways are in bad shape. The greens are really slow. Cart path only. Overpriced green fees.

Commented on 08/31/2020

Hi wspgolf! Thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is important to us. We will make note and we hope to see you back!

Good, would play again.

Only complaint would be lack of face masks being worn by pub & pro shop staff. Tough course, good value considering no other public golf for 45 minutes.

Commented on 08/29/2020

They were wearing face masks when they actually had a patron in front of them. Most of us healthy people aren't afraid of a common-sense approach: not breathing, sneezing, or coughing in someone else's space. We believe in freedom more than having to deal with common ordinary risks in real life. I had the virus in Jan. I got over it like every other flu, cold, disease, or injuries etc. Never before in our history did we shut down an entire country. The deaths are mainly from the elderly and those with compromised immunity systems. The virus itself cause of death is about 1/10th of 1% of the population. Much lower than that caused by a 100 or so other causes in real life. The destruction to people's lives caused by the ridiculous shutdown of everything is way more destructive than this temporary interference of a week or two of normal healthy living.
Big crowds in TIGHTLY ENCLOSED PLACES, (no fresh air circulation--or open space), not outdoor sports, restaurants, etc. I have played softball 4 games a week of 12 weeks now with no mask, no social distancing, shaking hands, face to face talking (we did all of the common-sense precautions mentioned above!!) with not one single case of the virus reported out of 150 some players!! Sweden's and some states like S Dakota, positive results of not shutting down their economy are doing just great. Less than 1/100th of 1% deaths, and those were mostly people with bad health problems to begin with! PS: I don't think you were making a big deal, but this is to combat the "Fake News" nonsense that is doing more harm to our country, millions of people's lives and our once thriving economy, etc. than Covid 19 could ever do!!!

Commented on 08/24/2020

Hi agc123. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement especially as it relates to golfer and staff safety. We will pass this along to our management team. Thank you for playing Shining Mountain Golf Club.

Commented on 08/17/2020

Hello, u314160239669. We appreciate the review. You rated us 3-stars which means there is room to improve on your recent experience at Shining Mountain Golf Club. Let us know, in the comments, how and where you would like to see changes from the course. Thanks for the feedback!

Mountain golf

Enjoyed playing this hidden gem. The golf course was challenging from the tips. I had never heard about this course and glad I saw it on Golf Now.

Commented on 08/17/2020

Hi u000006525690. We appreciate you leaving a review and rating us. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back at Shining Mountain Golf Club!

Tight Course with Great Views

Very nice course with tight fairways and tough rough. Course was in good conditions for the most part. Played a two-some and no one behind us to worry about. Great course for the the price.

Commented on 08/10/2020

Hi u314160441644. We appreciate you leaving a review and rating us. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back at Shining Mountain Golf Club!

Commented on 08/17/2020

Thank you for visiting us at Shining Mountain Golf Club. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Challenging course with narrow fairway and unforgiving rough.

Commented on 08/04/2020

u5316993, thank you for your kind words! We hope to see you again at the course very soon for another 5-star experience. Thanks for choosing Shining Mountain Golf Club.

Off my rotation list

Greens were in great shape and rolled well however it was cart path only which slows down play. Fairways in bad shape and cart paths are simply dangerous due to lack of maintenance.

Commented on 08/10/2020

Hi Designsci. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass on your feedback to the teams in charge so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting Shining Mountain Golf Club. We hope to see you again in the future.

Great views, good shape

None of us had played this course in a few years. It was in pretty good shape, tees and fairways are good, greens were reasonably soft just a little slow but not terrible. It is a narrow course so lots of target shots. It was hot down in Colorado Springs that day so nice to be in 75 degree and perfect weather. Fun to play here again and we'll come back again before it gets too much like fall.

Commented on 08/03/2020

Thank you for your review, tedwpost. We will pass along your positive experience to our team at Shining Mountain Golf Club. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Commented on 08/04/2020

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating, u314160489790! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Shining Mountain Golf Club!

cart path only

One of our players is handicapped, so not knowing ahead of reserving tee time that the course is "CART PATH ONLY" was a problem.

Commented on 08/03/2020

Just okay

Been there several times. Good to get out of Colorado Springs, but the front 9 took almost 3 hours. Frankly just ridiculous.

Commented on 08/04/2020

Hi cadossey. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Shining Mountain Golf Club.

Monument, Colorado
Monument, Colorado
Larkspur, Colorado
4.1915
DENVER, CO | Enjoy 2 nights’ accommodations at TownePlace Suites by Marriott and 2 rounds of golf at The Ridge at Castle Pines North.
DENVER, CO | Enjoy 1 night's accommodation at Sheraton Steamboat Resort Villas and 2 rounds of golf at Rollingstone Ranch Golf Club.