- 1 each 1/2 young chicken
(3.5# bird,semi boneless, vacuum packaged with lemon grass, Thai basil, young ginger, white onion & salad oil)
- 1oz Canola 75/25 blend oil
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Palm sugar & fish sauce glaze
- Cilantro for garnish
- Green onion for garnish (thinly sliced)
- Thai basil leaves for garnish
- Baby rainbow carrots (blanched)
- Orange-ginger reduction
- Unsalted butter
1) In a medium hot cast iron skillet add the canola oil. When oil is hot add the chicken seasoned with salt & pepper skin side down to the skillet. (Let the chicken brown & develop a golden brown crust before you attempt to turn the product.)
2) Flip the chicken on to the rib bones & place the skillet into a 375F convection oven. Roast the chicken for about 12 minutes. Remove the skillet from the oven & flip the chicken back to skin side. Glaze the chicken with the palm sugar-fish sauce mixture and finish cooking the chicken until the leg juices run clear. (Test the chicken at the leg/thigh joint)
3) When done remove from oven & let the chicken rest.
4) Warm the carrots in a small pan with butter & some water. The water will evaporate & the carrots will become shiny & glazed. Add a small amount of the orange reduction to the carrots to coat them evenly. Keep warm.
5) To finish the dish place the chicken on the plate, add the glazed carrots & serve with steamed Jasmine rice.
6) Garnish the chicken with the herbs & sliced onion. Spoon the pan juices over the chicken.
See this recipe come to life along with many other incredible originals on Fairway to Table