Style Links

Year Built 1909
Architect Seymour Dunn (1909) Graham Cooke (2007)

Scenic track

When I did research for where to golf on my Lake Placid trip I had a hard time finding good reviews and that's why I wanted to write me own.

I played by myself on a family vacation, and was the first golfer on the course. I was by myself for almost the entire round, and that in itself was a very cool experience. Almost every hole has a view of the high peaks which is fantastic, and made for a very relaxing round. This was one of the most scenic courses I have ever played.

The layout of the course is pretty good, it plays like a links course with a few blind shots and large fairways and greens. Each hole has a little tidbit about famous people who have played the course which I also found interesting. I wouldn't call the course overly challenging, but it isn't easy either. The conditions were a bit dry and patchy in spots. I've never played there before so I don't know if those were typical conditions or not.

I would like to try the Mountain course as there are differing opinions as to which course is best, but I did enjoy my round at the links course. At the time of this writing the course is a 2.2 which is very low in my opinion. The is easily a 3+ star course, if not higher.

Dandelions

What a joke as the tees and fairways had dandelions all over them. Even funnier was we played behind a group that had picked a bunch of the dandelions and used them as tee markers for their group. There was also grub damage in several places and when we peeled back some of the ground the grubs were there by the thousands. They only mow the greens on one course a day and when I asked why one of the workers told me the owner was trying to save money. When I asked why I wasn’t told of this when I paid greens fees I was told the owner told us specifically not to tell people. Next day we went to Craigwood and it was like night and day. No dandelions and fast mowed greens.

Incentivized Review

A wonderful wander thru the hills

A great way to spend a hour or so looking at great views of the high peaks of the Adirondacks.

Course is a modified par 3 with on par 4. When you don't have the time for a full round this is the place for you.

Golf Advisor

Super quirky, super fun

I'm probably in the minority here, but I like the Mountain better than The Links. The ties to Mackenzie are nice, but it's just the variety of the looks and uniqueness of the holes that stand out. With five par 3s and only three par 5s (including back to back 600-plus-yard holes at 10-11), there's a lot going on.

The 242-yard, par-4 14th would just be another monster par 3 at most TPC courses, but here, in this historic setting, it's a birdie hole where both my partner and I drove it in to the woods on the left, making bogey or worse! Blind par 3s at no. 15 (as good a Dell hole as I've seen beyond the original in Ireland) and no. 17 throw more curve balls at you.

Ray Brook, New York