2.4

The public, 18-hole Applewood Golf Course is a popular golf destination for families. The course is 5,992 yards, playing to a par of 71. The course is located in Golden, against the foothills of the Rocky Mountains. The course opened in 1961 and was designed by J. Press Maxwell. Maxwell wanted to maintain the natural beauty of the landscape and he successfully incorporated it into elements of the course. Another trace of Applewood Golf Course's scenic appeal is in the wildlife that is often spotted by golfers. The golf course has slight elevation changes as well as water hazards but it is still suitable for all levels of golfers.

Year Built 1961
Architect Press Maxwell

Carts Yes - $12

Good value, nice setting.

Solid course for the money. I’d give it 3.5 stars if possible, but I was pleasantly surprised after reading some of these reviews beforehand. It’s in decent shape, greens are fast and some interesting holes. I only paid $30 on a Saturday afternoon with the Golf Passport and would definitely play again at that price.

Below average municipal golf course

Applewood is a heavily used golf course that is in need of a face lift. We played 18 holes in 5.5 hours and had to wait on one hole for 3 groups to go off. This was one of my longest rounds of golf I have played and it was really frustrating. Tee boxes are fine, fairways were chewed up (literally because of the geese and their poop) and the greens look like WWII battlefield. I would fix 3-4 marks on nearly every hole and a lot of them were fresh. Also there would be random piles of sand or other debris just laying under a tree, there were not hazards just junk on the course. The other part that bothered us was we were made to do a shotgun start and were not notified of this at the time of our booking. I cannot see myself returning when there are so many more courses in better condition for the same money.

Great Experience - Great Course

I run a tournament every year for 23 continuous years. Other than the first few years, it has always been hosted by Applewood and their wonderful management team - Rob Pfohl, every year, with support from Ashley Van Dissel this year.

Everything about the course, from its difficult to easy holes, its wonderful scenery throughout, the clubhouse, drinks, food, pro shop, etc., makes this an event we all look forward to and discuss throughout the year.

The mgmt team is outstanding at making all of us feel very important and they are continually going far beyond expectations to assure our entire group leaves with a very memorable, fun experience.

I highly recommend Applewood Golf Course for any type of golf, whether for a tournament or a round of golf. I am quite confident you too will leave very satisfied with what Applewood has to offer (especially for the price).

This course isn’t in the best shape but the views are great

This course was very basic and relatively easy. It was one of the first days of spring so it wasn’t the best conditions either. Pace of play was fine but that is probably because it wasn’t very busy. I would recommend this course if you want to drive 30-mins from Denver and be in the Foothills of the Rockies and not pay too much for a round of golf.

Great course conditions for the amount of snow they had over a week ago. Pace of okay was a little slower just due to cart path only and it being 70 outside in March. Overall it was a fantastic day.

Nice layout

Love the layout, don't like the car path only rule in the winter. Defeats the purpose of a golf cart. It was a fun time playing with the 3 older gents especially Hal

Enjoyable experience, decent condition and fun layout

Greens recently punched but almost grown back, rolled true enough. Scenery, layout & friendly staff are all great here

Great Value & fun layout

This course plays fairly short, and the greens are not too tricky. Meaning...get ready to have fun and shoot low! Played 12/2, so it was a blessing just to be on a course this time of year. Staff could not have been more friendly or accommodating. Close to restaurants/bars etc. Take a Coors tour after an impressively quick round at this gem of a course.

Don't wait like I did

Drove past this course quite a few times and always though I should give it a try. After 10 years I did and wish I had not waited so long. The layout is so much fun, nothing boring about it with holes going both directions as well as long and short. I would play it more often if I did not live over an hour away, wish this course was closer. Give it a try and don't wait like I did.

The course was in bad shape the green were just aerated and it wasn't posted when I booked the tee time. When I checked in at the course the guy in the pro shop could care less and didn't even apologize, let alone offer a bucket of balls or a discount on a future round. I will not play there again.

Cow Pasture

Applewood Golf Course is by far the biggest goat track in Denver. There is mass disease on every Fairway and when you don't land in dirt in the middle of the fairway, you're liable to be in deep grass that has not been mowed. The greens are the bumpiest, sandiest & slowest I've ever played; you should never have a straight downhill putt stop 3 feet short of the hole. Don't count on making any putts, you only hope it bounces in. Applewood Golf Course was a cow pasture when I played it back in the seventies, and it still is today, there's absolutely no improvement and I will never return to that place again! DON'T waste your $$$ like I did, I'm EMBARRASSED for that place.

Good weather

Average course, Good greens

Not bad for $40. Club house needs an update. Bathrooms were in serious need of TLC. Carts were older, but worked fine. Driving range was subpar with horrible grass to hit off. Tee boxes need an uplift. Cart path was in need of grading and paving. Had some nice views and a few really great holes.

Applewood

Good value for the money. Course layout was good.

Not what I expected

I didn't realize that it was a short course, 6188 from the back tees with a par of 71. The layout is very open and realitivly flat. There's a few tee boxes elevated but that's about it. Fun little course with very fast greens that roll true. Practice facilities are good with range, putting green and separate chipping green.

Excellent weather

OVERPRICED FOR CONDITIONS

$50 IS WAY TO HIGH FOR THIS COURSE!! CLUBHOUSE IS NICE BUT WAY OVER DUE. IF THEY WOULD JUST DO BETTER AT KEEPING THE GROUNDS CLEANED UP OF DEAD BRANCHES AND THE CART PATH'S THAT WOULD BE A START!!

Save applewood

Applewood is one of my favorite courses in the denver area. It is perfect for walking with an old school design and no houses lining the fairways. And even on a busy Sunday the pace of play was pretty good.
I sincerely hope the "save applewood" effort is successful and we have many more seasons to enjoy this local gem!

Golden, Colorado
Golden, Colorado
Denver, Colorado
Denver, Colorado
Lakewood, Colorado
DENVER, CO | Enjoy 2 nights’ accommodations at TownePlace Suites by Marriott and 2 rounds of golf at The Ridge at Castle Pines North.
DENVER, CO | Enjoy 1 night's accommodation at Sheraton Steamboat Resort Villas and 2 rounds of golf at Rollingstone Ranch Golf Club.