2.3
1.8
2.2

River Downs Golf Course

Year Built 1995
Architect Arthur Hills (1995)

Worth the price !

Greens are good but slow. Some fairways and tee boxes are in poor shape, while others are fine. Course layout is amazing and tough. I enjoy a quick round here at least once a month. It's getting better as we get to summer.

Commented on 06/21/2022

Hi, u314159833192! Thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is important to us. We will make note and we hope to see you back at River Downs Golfers' Club!

DO NOT PLAY HERE

This course is trash. Do not play here. Most of the fairways and greens are dirt with some unmown weeds. It is a shame too because the course layout is really interesting.

Rough, full summer rate for a course that isn’t even summer ready

I’ve played this course around 10 times the last couple years. Sadly the 2 times I played in the late winter/early spring the course was in better shape. Charging full price for greens that were half aerated and on some holes there were sand filled divots as if someone hit a wedge off the green, and the green on 17 had a square foot cut out of it filled with straw, tee box’s that we either mostly dirt or too thick of grass. Charging full summer rates for these conditions was a slap in the face since I know how much potential this course has.

Commented on 05/16/2022

Hi there! We actually have Bermuda grass and I'm assuming it was still dormant (or at least coming out dormancy) during your visit, This past week, it has really come on. Give us a try again, we promise the greens look a lot better!

Commented on 05/16/2022

Course in rough shape

Fairways are in very rough shape, the cart paths will beat you up! Very rough. I played ok though and had a great time with my friends and son.

Commented on 05/02/2022

We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us, Tim2466405. We are going to pass on your feedback to the team. Thanks for visiting River Downs Golfers' Club, and we hope to see you again in the future.

A very challenging, value play

River Downs is my favorite course to "see how my game is progressing". It is a very challenging, hilly course with a guarantee for a breeze. The White tees consistantly test the precision of your tee shots.

The clubhouse is updated and gorgeous.

The staff is amazing and they just rolled out new golf carts. The course condition is improving each time we play and they are committed to turning the course into one of the better in the area.

The price beats most others in the area and you can see the money put back into the course.

Currently, this is not a course that will wow you with conditions but it is a beautiful, challenging layout. Supporting this course is an easy decision. Everytime we come back, something is better than it was last time.

Commented on 04/25/2022

Thank you for your review, siani27. We will pass along your positive experience to our team at River Downs Golfers' Club. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Not a good start

Arrived 15 mins before tee time. Informed that one other golfer booking with a "Hot Deal" from GolfNow would be joining me. Which is perfectly fine and expected. However I would not get the Cart Key until the other person arrived. Very Weird. First time that has ever happen in my 7 plus years as a Golfnow Plus member. The guy at the pro shop said I could load up my clubs in the cart if I wish. Really ? what is the point? Give me the keys I am HERE. If you aren't handing me the keys why would I load up. I lingered until my exact tee-time ( the other golfer was a non-show at that time) , before I was given the keys at the exact tee-time. . I teed up 8 minutes later., not in the right frame of mind.to start a round.
The no-show was later driven out to where I was on the 2nd hole by the same guy. There was an apparent dissatisfying escalated conversation between them as well , I will not comment on my conclusion and what happened, as I did not witness the entire altercation beforehand, but I agree with the upset golfer that this guy treated "GolfNow" bookers as 2nd class golfers. Incidentally this guy at Rivers Down claimed to be the owner. I will hand it to the owner, he did offer a refund to the other upset golfer. There is more to this, but enough of that BS.
The greens are in pretty good shape, not bad at all. Better than a few other courses in the area.
The old sand bunkers from times-past, need TLC and reseeding. Very Bad. The tee box and fairway grass is still in hibernation stage , so the course can't be judged too harshly just coming off winter. This is not a walking course due to the elevation , terrain and layout. Only one scary short par 4 that has a high-potential of hitting a house if you are a right-handed slicer off the tee-box . ( swinging out to in) .. In the past I have played here 2 or 3 times a year ( I even bought a golf-shirt at one time & still have it) and not always booking thru GolfNow because I have other friends play and the tee-time is more important. than the price.
For now, I will sleep on this place for awhile. Did not enjoy having issues before the start of my round . Can't say if it affected my play from the start, as I had a mix of good/bad shoots,. But before the round was over I found my grove. Played in 3 hours by myself, skipping a few holes to get around bottleneck hackers, but playing 2 balls on Par 3s to make up for the skipped holes. Overall a good place to practice shots that require something other than grip-it and rip-it. Don't think this course will be what it was 30 year ago again when building lots were in the selling stage.
I looked then, but bought and built a house elsewhere. Leave it at that.

Conditions not worth the cost.

Course condition was rough at best. Nice club house and friendly staff, but the course needs work. There was more "grass" in some of the bunkers then there was on the fairways. I know that it's the beginning of the season but was charged as if it was peak.

Commented on 04/12/2022

We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us, NedBatch. We are going to pass on your feedback to the team. Thanks for visiting River Downs Golfers' Club, and we hope to see you again in the future.

Commented on 02/15/2022

Hello, u314161066797. We appreciate the review. You rated us 3-stars which means there is room to improve on your recent experience at River Downs Golfers' Club. Let us know, in the comments, how and where you would like to see changes from the course. Thanks for the feedback!

Cart path needs significant improvement

Extensive parts of the cart path require significant improvement. Can't remember the holes but many holes cart paths are so steep and hilly and they are very slippery especially when it's wet. Even during a dry day, the cart wheels would just spin smoking for several seconds trying to move upward. I think the cart would slide down if the path were wet a little. They need to resurface and groove those hilly cart path to prevent any accidents. Not recommended especially during wet season.

Commented on 02/16/2022

Hello, Chingu77. Thank you for taking the time to review and leave your feedback on your recent round with us. It is always our utmost goal to provide our golfers with a fun and enjoyable time and we apologize if we missed the mark. Please feel free to reach out to our staff in the pro shop with any additional concerns. Thanks for choosing River Downs Golfers' Club.

You can’t beat 40$ for Saturday morning golf Although, You can tell they are trying to recover it, but the greens looked like they hadn’t been cut in about 2weeks. There were also an abundant of giant dirt patches in the fairway, some were just astounding with how big they are. Tee boxes were in rough shape, and the traps were rock hard. With all of that said, if I was a beginner or something and didn’t care about conditions, I would come back. The track of the course has So much potential it’s almost sad to see what they’ve done with it. Also the staff is super friendly from what I saw and they did work on the cart path so it’s not bumpy like other people said.

Fairways sux

The coarse looks like crap way all the fairways were dead grass. Looks like they over fertilized it. Some greens has holes that were covered wit straw in the middle of the green. Not worth 50 dollar

Commented on 05/02/2022

Hello, markstr35. Thank you for taking the time to review and leave your feedback on your recent round with us. It is always our utmost goal to provide our golfers with a fun and enjoyable time and we apologize if we missed the mark. Please feel free to reach out to our staff in the pro shop with any additional concerns. Thanks for choosing River Downs Golfers' Club.

Course is cheap for a reason and staff/owner has issues..

Course is in terrible shape. The greens are pretty good but that's it. Tee boxes, fairways even the rough was an issue. Patchs of grass everywhere and hard dirt. Staff wasn't friendly at all. They treat you like your a problem if you get a hot deal. Will never return here and will tell everyone I know not to come. To be honest it's not worth the $35 hot deal even to play some cheaper golf. They way this place is ran reminds me of courses that are no longer open.

Commented on 04/15/2022

u797476945, we’re sorry to hear of your less-than-satisfactory experience and hope you will accept our sincerest apologies. We value our customers' opinions and would like to make things right and determine how we can provide a solution that makes you smile. Please contact us directly at the pro shop at (410) 526-2000 Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

Challenging course

Course was challenging, very difficult terrain, gold tees were placed closer than indicated marker. Greens were in good condition. The fairways need maintenance. The cart path definitely needs maintenance or upgrade. The terrain made cart driving very difficult and bumpy.

Commented on 03/09/2022

Hi thatamericandude,

Let us first say that we are so glad to hear you enjoyed your visit. We work hard to create an enjoyable experience so you can focus on enjoying yourself and let us do the rest. We also want to thank you for your honest and constructive criticism of the course.

We are going to escalate your review to our team in charge and do everything we can to improve before your next game.

Thank you for visiting and playing at River Downs Golfers' Club. We hope to see you again soon!

Commented on 12/20/2021

Hello, davijoe20. Thank you for visiting us at River Downs Golfers' Club. We appreciate your 4-star rating. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Lots of Elevation Change on Fairway

Course condition is getting better and better after years of going down hill. The greens were pretty good for winter conditions. The fairway grass was dormant but in good shape. The course layout is tough if you have never played here before. Lots of elevation changes and a few tee shots that require less club. This course is growing on me, but I would not recommend for a beginner. Cart paths are rough and a few sand traps look to be in early stage of being redone or eliminated.

Commented on 12/13/2021

Hi, elpaso21! Thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is important to us. We will make note and we hope to see you back at River Downs Golfers' Club!

Commented on 11/22/2021

Hello, u314162334262. Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We see you rated the course 2-stars and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit.

We take customer feedback very seriously at our course. Please reach out to our team in the golf shop and tell us what's on your mind.

Commented on 11/12/2021

Hello, Pepaw829. Thank you for visiting us at River Downs Golfers' Club. We appreciate your 4-star rating. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Great greens

The course has a great layout and very challenging. Lots of fun playing the course.

Commented on 11/22/2021

Hello, RGC6FC6705DC963D54C0. Thank you for visiting us at River Downs Golfers' Club. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

I won't come back

I looked past all the negative reviews thinking it can't be that bad, but it was. From the moment we stepped on the putting green and had staff accusing us (wrongly) of not paying in front of other customers to the shoddy condition of the course (looks like they can't afford to pay a proper grounds keeping crew to mow and invest very little in upkeep) to the extreme unfairness of the course set-up (it's bad when perfect shots are penalized unnecessarily) to the slowest greens I have ever played, this course just simply isn't worth your time or mine. It seemed to be worth driving 30 minutes out of my way and giving it a shot with a seemingly very fair weekend price of $40 on GolfNow, but I now see why there are so many negative reviews. I will definitely be taking my business elsewhere, and that's a shame, because it does not have to be that way. It's sad to see so much potential go wasted with a nice piece of property and interesting design. This place really needs to get its act together and think about why customers are so displeased. Repeat business is what will save River Downs. Otherwise, it will continue on its downward trajectory.

Commented on 05/17/2021

Hello, qkRRpeCGCcYMpkKdWN2r. Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for your experience during your round. This is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and we will share your comments with our staff. We hope you'll give us another try in the future.

Reisterstown, Maryland
Owings Mills, Maryland
Hunt Valley, Maryland
Pikesville, Maryland
Lutherville, Maryland
ATLANTIC CITY, NJ | Enjoy 2 nights' accommodations at Seaview, A Dolce Hotel and 2 rounds of golf at Seaview Golf Club - Bay & Pines Courses.