Year Built 1999
Greens G-2 Bent Grass
Architect P. B. Dye (1999)

Credit Cards Accepted VISA, MasterCard, Amex Welcomed, Discover

Bar, Grill, Restaurant

Clubhouse, Meeting Facilities, Banquet Facilities, Internet Access

Great test of your complete game

The course is in fantastic condition and will test every aspect of your game!

Great track but awful pace of play for a Tuesday - no marshals.

Commented on 06/08/2021

Pace of play on most weekdays is 4 hours or less. Anything longer than 4 hours is an exception.

Stay Away - Gone Downhill

I've played PB Dye with buddies for the last 15 years (12 handicap). Usually can get tee-times easily and it's been a nice scenic course. IMO, it's always too tricked out (like putt putt golf), the 3 tier green on the back 9 as an example. I played with 2 friends recently and the experience was horrible. From the 1st tee, the course was back to back. We waited on every single shot on every hole. No ranger. The 2-some behind us kept dangerously hitting into us because almost every hole has blind spots and they were too lazy to drive up and check to see if it was clear. After missing my head by 1 foot, I approached the golfers and explained that everyone on the course is waiting on every shot - knock it off - they were irritated that I called them out. PB Dye put in not just GPS carts, but GPS that controls your cart. One of our carts kept getting error messages that we were driving in a restricted area, when we were on the cart path! It kept shutting down. The 10th time it happened, we left it, called the pro shop and walked several holes until they brought us another cart. After 3 holes of carrying my cart bag, they tried to give us back the same faulty cart - saying "it is ok now". No thanks! Get this tech over reach out of golf - the screen kept flashing "keep up with play" as we looked at 2 deep on every tee box. No longer do courses trust golfers with following rules, PB Dye is programming your every move, watching from the clubhouse and letting the carts STOP for no reason. And the course was chunked out - I know it's spring but other courses in DC area are in decent shape - the grass was patchy and left you with awkward lies. We quit at the turn - all of us passionate golfers but none of us wanted to repeat the experience on the back 9. A Big Waste of time and money - skip this track, it's seen better days, and the management of the course is bad at best. Go to nearby Whiskey Creek and even Falls Road for an infinitely better experience.

Commented on 06/08/2021

To say the course conditions were only "fair" in April 2021 is absurd, the conditions have been nothing but excellent all year.

Commented on 04/20/2021

I've played PB many times and have no idea what this guy is talking about.. Sounds like the course is too hard for him and he was driving the golf cart where he wasn't supposed to. Personally I love this feature. Keeps golfers with no edicate from messing up the course.. Some people should play courses they can handle and not get mad at their poor performance and blame the course.

Excellent Layout; No Marshals Back 9 Very Slow

Love this course. It grows on you. When making the tee time it should have been mentioned that the course was pretty much cart path only. Pace of play was horrendous on the back 9 and this was on a Wednesday with a 9am or so tee time. Greens in good shape and speed was good. My pet peeve is people not fixing their ball marks. We did our part & fixed around 3 or 4 on every hole. Will be back.

Greens too slow to merit a return visit

Hard to believe on a beautiful summer morning greens not cut, rolled or dried off.They were not just slow but incredibly slow which makes you think they are never quick.Can't take a chance to comeback or recommend to fellow die hard golfers because it just not golf when greens do not roll out at all.Nice greens will always get a course a second chance-PB Dye wont get another chance.--Did play Whiskey Creek later same day and their greens were solid.

Commented on 08/16/2020

Hello,

I am the Director of Golf at PB DYE Golf Club. I would like to thank you for your review of our club.

I noticed you played in July of this year. In July and August we are more protective of our greens with the extreme heat, as well as we are one of the very few courses who do not aerate in August. We only aerate in November of each year.

I hope you can come back in the fall and experience the course when it is at its best.

We hope to see you back soon.

great course

Dare to say my favorite course in area. Neck and Neck with Whiskey Creek. Great Conditions, Beautiful/challenging course. Best Bang for Buck course in Area,

great course

Course is always in great condition, beautiful course. Best Bang for your buck Course in Area, would dare say my favorite. Neck and Neck between here and Whiskey Creek

D C Advisor

Either You Love it or Hate It

PB Dye Golf Club - I finally get all the debate about this course. You definitely can walk away either hating or loving it. PB Dye GC is a beautiful golf course designed by the son of the great Pete Dye, PB Dye. The design and routing are very good in general with a lot of touches that Pete Dye would have in his designs but you will find more blind tee shots than you would normally expect which means to truly appreciate you might need to play a few times. The course does have a great GPS system that even has bluetooth and satellite radio built in. The fairways are fairly generous if you choose the right line. The course utilized the great rolling topography of Frederick County very well offering beautiful surroundings and a very challenging course. The greens are incredibly challenging not only to putt but to attack. The greens while generally generous in size have a lot of undulations and if on the wrong tier you can be punished greatly. The course pulled a lot of bunkering from the original design and while the course is more playable their are places the bunkering would have been great to see. PB Dye is a must play for any Maryland Golfer the course is different, challenging and you will definitely leave with an opinion. The course does an excellent job managing the pace of play, have very good customer services and a 19th hole has the best views and food options in Frederick County.

Maryland Advisor

Challenging...But Great Condition and Beautiful Layout

My daughter's favorite MD course, so I took her there for her birthday. The course was in excellent condition from tee to green. The layout is challenging, and provides a variety of hole shapes, yardages, and obstacles. There are blind shots, narrow landing areas, environmental carries, close penalty areas, and strategically placed bunkers. The toughest part of this course are the undulating and tiered greens. They are tough, difficult to read, and fast. If you can putt these greens,, I would think you could putt just about any green! This course has beautiful vistas, and is a typical Dye course with railroad ties, extreme bunkering, and narrow landing zones. The staff at PB Dye is exceptional, and very welcoming...from the bag drop to the Pro Shop to the starter and marshal. At a rate of $64/person on a Saturday morning, it was a deal.

Incentivized Review
Golf Channel
Incentivized Review

A gem tucked away in Urbana

This course is maintained Impeccably, the greens are a little fast. The coarse is challenging a blend of long holes a shorter strategic holes. I really enjoyed playing at PB dye with some holes by the water and shots you have to make with limited visibility and over water. The coarse is as tough as it it beautiful.

Slow front 9; Quick back 9. Great course.

Had a great time playing here. Weather was great and the course was in great shape after a couple days of rain. We were cart path only for a few holes, but got cleared to scatter after a few holes. The golf carts were awesome with The Shark Experience included. Huge selection of things to listen to, or connect your phone Bluetooth. And the service also allowed us to get notified remotely of the cart path only restriction being lifted. First time seeing this and it was pretty nice. Also had GPS and that was a big help since there were several blind tee shots. The course was in great shape as well. Some really tough par 4s! Par 5s are definitely reachable with a good tee shot, but a poor tee shot will be penalized. Par 3s were also really cool. Hole 11 especially!
Only gripe is there was a playing lesson or something going on in front of us. It was just the two of us and they still did not let us play through. It took us over 2 hours to play the front 9. Had they let us play through, we would have breezed through and they would have had more time to do what they were doing. We were on top of them right away, and I didn’t see the reason they did not let us through since there was nobody in front of them. Again, just a small thing, but still was a bit of an inconvenience.
The staff was great, and the starter, Chuck, was awesome and very welcoming. The clubhouse had a great view, and good selection of food and drinks. For only $48, we got a great deal.

Great Value and Scenery

The course was in great shape, greens are multi-tiered and tough but thoroughly enjoyed the course. Good views across the course and not too punishing.

Hadn't Played in 10 Years; Will Be Back

Hadn't played in 10 years and I will be back. Course was in great shape. Just have the ball on the correct tier of the green or it's a 3 putt. Greens rolling smooth, fairways excellent as were the bunkers. Nothing bad to say about this course.

Great track, will return

Great and very challenging course. Played at three on a Saturday as that is when it is the cheapest, and it was worth every penny. I'm sure the conditions weren't the best it's ever been as the fairways are a little beat up, but still an excellent course. I will definitely return.

A lot of blind tee shots, and tight fairways so definitely bring your A game.

Didn't use them that day but the practice facilities looked top notch.

Best service ever

First time i've played here in about 10 years. Exceeded my expectations from what i had remembered. Course conditions were excellent. Very interesting layout. The maintenance of the grounds throughout the facility were excellent. The friendliness of the staff was the best i've seen around and I play courses all over Maryland. In fact, when we were called off the course for lightning, a computer glitch delayed the manager in issuing us a rain check so he bought us all a drink. We will certainly be returning.

PB Dye MD

What a golf course, a true test of all your skills right down to your yardage to the pins.
You must play this course a couple of times to get to know where you can and cannot hit to. I’m from out of the area and PBD is already on my list to play when I go back in May.

Fun Day

Everything was great except for a slow foursome that would not allow us to play through. We had to skip around them and miss playing a hole. A great day other than that.

Awesome value

I don't know where else it is possible to play a round of golf at a beautiful private course for $25. The scenery is great. The clubhouse is nice. The staff is friendly. Every hole is interesting. After playing here ten times, it is downright boring to return to the local public courses.

Clarksburg, Maryland