Cape May National Golf Club, also known as simply the National, is a favorite among both New Jersey natives and visitors. The club has roots that date back to the 1800s when it was known as Cape May Country Club. The peacefully secluded golf course is nestled amidst mature woodlands, surrounding one of the largest private bird sanctuaries in New Jersey. The scenery is beautiful but don't let that distract you. There are plenty of challenges to keep you on your toes, including tree-lined fairways, strategically placed bunkers, and several water hazards. There are a few blind shots that make Cape May National Golf Club especially tricky if playing it for the first time. The classic design is a fair test but it's player-friendly enough for a wide range of skill levels.

Year Built 1991

Single Allowed No
Dress code Proper golf attire.

Nice Course

I played a round while
Visiting Cape May and enjoyed it immensely. Very challenging greens but a good solid and pretty layout. Only issue was I started at 430 and due to slow pace of play only completed 16 holes.

Incentivized Review

Never Tired

I have been playing this course for 20 years, and I never get tired of it. The co-architect also designed Emirates Golf Club in Dubai, where I was also a member from 2005 to 2010; and there are unique similarities with that world famous course.

Favorite Course at the Shore

I am always excited to play at Cape May National. We go down at least 2 times a year and we just love it. Great course, great town! The City of Cape May is the best kept guys getaway going. Great Fall rates in town and on the courses.

Crabgrass National

Change the name to crabgrass national. Greens heavily marked with unattended divots. Fairways with many divots. No sand in carts to fill divots. This is a course we played once and will not return unless the conditions get much better.

A nice course

A nice course that has many challenging holes. It IS NOT an easy course to walk. The distance from #9 green to #10 Tee is ridiculous. Not much of a dining area and pro shop is small. BUT if you are looking for a good track this is a nice one, however they tend to be a little pricey.

Lots of fun

I love getting out to play Cape May National. The course was in beautiful shape. Really looked natural, greens were rolling smoothly and everyone was very welcoming. Cant wait till next time.

Never a bad round at Cape May National

This is still one of my favorite courses down the shore. I try to play here a couple time a month during the summer. With all of the traffic this course has during the summer I think they keep it in good shape. It's a shame kids beat up the 15th green a little a night though. One of my favorite course layouts down the shore. Will definitely play a few more rounds before summer is over here.

Great layout.

We called the day before for a tee time and were not informed that the greens had been punched recently. For $89 plus $6 for balls that was aggravating.
Bag drop gentleman and woman in pro shop less than friendly bordering on rude. We definitely didn't feel welcomed.
Pro shop and facility is run down. Bring your own coffee and food.
Also bring bug spray you will be eaten alive without it.

As for the course it's clear this is a great design and layout. Very interesting layout lots of fun holes. It's also clear that this course condition is not what it most likely once was. Lots of crabgrass and an unkept look.

It rained 2 days before we played. This course has terrible drainage. Bunkers filled with water and mud and puddles everywhere.

This place has great potential but it's clear the folks that work here could care less. It's a shame. I probably would try other courses in the area before returning.

Commented on 08/24/2017

You will never find a course giving discounted rates down the shore even after they punch there greens. They have a short window to charge full rate before the season is over. Cape May is on the cheaper side compared to other courses down there shore. There are only so many courses which also drives the cost up.

Great Day

Great day, perfect weather. Course was in great shape getting ready for the full season. Will be back again.

Philly Advisor

Another morning at the Cape

Great morning AM at the Cape. I don't mind driving the full hour and a half to play this beauty. For me personally I love the layout hole after hole. More then a few holes here I can actually say would be up there on my favorite holes list I'v played in our state.

Good weather

Beautiful Day

Really a beautiful day all the way around. Course was in very nice condition, greens were rolling quickly and true. The effort of the maintenance staff was easy to see. Natural beauty is everywhere here. If even remotely interested in birds its a real treat. Staff was friendly- bag drop was friendly, to the point, good info, beverage cart girl was fun and nice. Overall fun, friendly atmosphere with a great golf course & great weather. Whats not to love?

Great course anytime of year

I love this course. I play here at least once a year. 3 times this year. I like to play different courses. When I got there was told front 9 was closed and would have 2 play back 9 twice because of aeration. Took about 2 hours to play first 9, by the time I hit the turn they reopened front 9. Great I flew through first 6 holes then caught up with group. I love the layout, each hole is different and course is well kept. Everybody is always courteous each time I play. Never get tired of this course.

Fair weather

Surprised! at conditions

Tees plugged today;greens spiked recently;FEES NOT DISCOUNTED nor was told of conditions at signing in; that's not v.g. PR!!
will not play there again w/o a GOLF NOW rate that's reasonable
chas6567

Fair course

You want to stay out of trouble if possible. I hit it long and tried to cut the corner on a couple of holes only to remember they dont allow it as I turned the corner to find hazard. lol Play what the course gives you and you should have fun. Excellent layout

Late season golf

Course was very good , front being aerifed, played back 9 twice.

Average weather

Pretty nice and good value

2 of us played 18, the day after alot of rain. The course was soggy and still had some debris, but not bad. Greens were in good condition and fairways were fine. Cloudy with A few big wind gusts and lots of breezes made for a few lost balls. But all in all it was a good value, we had a fun round and our scores werent too bad. I'd go again.

Poor Experience

After fees we paid almost $45 to play after 3:00. Let's star by saying we barely finished in the dark. A 5 hour round. Began when we drove to the tee box and 2 "members" had jumped in front of us saying the clubhouse told them to squeeze them in. We were now delayed 15 minutes to start. We made the staff aware of the very slow play at the turn but nothing was done. We watched several times as the foursome ahead hit multiple balls from the same spot. When we arrived at the clubhouse after
18 it was dark and locked. They closed before we even finished our round. No drink, no bathroom, no food available. Now on to the course. Not terrible but just not worth the price. Greens were bumpy and could not get a true roll. Rough was bad but with the dry weather I can excuse that. The fatwa it's had several spots where repairs were needed. Again not very true. Hole number 4 is a joke. For a first timer on the course it was unfair. Hit a perfect drive over trees that drew towards the green. I learn as I get to the ball that there is only a 20 yard landing area before a pond. The only other option was an iron off the tee but how can you be forced to play an iron on a par 5? This was not the only time it happened. 3 of the 4 par 5's made you lay up on the tee. I could get over the course of the other factors were not there. The slow pace and member issue is inexcusable. Closing before the customer finishes is plain unprofessional.

Poor weather

Nice

Ice melted quickly! gave us issues about getting more ice. Should allow coolers when over 95 degrees

Excellent weather

This course is in great condition

Great condition, the greens are great ,the fairways are in good condition, I only wish they would have a ranger for the course to speed up slow play other than that I highly recommend playing tdhis course.

Great Round

We played at 3:00 on Friday... Course was in Great shape and quick pace of Play. Would definitely come back!

Rio Grande, New Jersey