The Bog in Saukville has consistently been ranked as one of the top 10 golf courses in Wisconsin. At 7,110 yards from the back tees, it is a course that will test both your distance and accuracy. The course takes no time in introducing its challenges. It opens with an uphill par 5 that requires a straight tee shot in order to avoid the bunkers that line both sides of the fairway. There are also at least 12 bunkers within 100 yards of the greens just waiting to swallow up errant shots. The golf course also provides a scenic round with mature trees and lush landscaping enclosing most of the holes. It can be a tough test but different sets of tees make it more approachable. The Bog is also a popular place for its practice facility, which includes a driving range and short game area.

The Bog

Year Built 1995
Architect Arnold Palmer (1995) Ed Seay (1995)

Dress code Proper attire is required. Collared Shirts & No Denim/Jeans. Dress Code will be enforced May - October

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Wisconsin (2015 #11)

Entertaining Clients 20

Needs a little TLC

I'm guessing this was once a great course. The greens and most of the fairways were in pretty good shape, several of the tee boxes were severely lacking in green grass. They had done a little bit of aerating to try and bring them back, but it is going to take a bit more than that. The pro shop staff couldn't have cared less if we were there. Thankfully the cart girl was pleasant. At $75 it was worth it, but not sure how much more I'd spend than that as there are other courses I'd rather play for the money (i.e. Wild Rock, U-Ridge to name a couple). I'd give some of the conditions a pass after what was probably a very heavy couple of weeks with Ryder Cup traffic. I don't think the King would be happy to see how it looks now though.

Disappointing

There was an outing scheduled before us that slowed down play considerably. I would choose not to golf behind an outing again in the future and would appreciate knowing about it so I can make the choice. Also, I was stuck several times unable to move forward with my cart because I was "too close to a restricted area." It would be nice to know where the restricted areas are before I get stuck in them. I was not too close to the greens in my opinion. I was driving single and the other 2 in my group did not have the same trouble with their cart. It was very aggravating. And finally, the women's tee boxes were set up poorly. Whoever placed the markers put them very close together and facing toward the bushes in several instances. I finally moved the marked myself to a more realistic position. I shouldn't have tried to tee off from within the original locations on several holes! Overall, for these reasons, we found our day at the Bog disappointing. And it was my husbands birthday too!

Play this course.

My review starts with the two negatives, because everything else about the course warrants 5 stars. The cart paths are farther from the fairways, tee boxes and greens than I am familiar with. By itself, not a big problem. However, the gps tracked golf carts had an annoying habit of shutting down and requiring.one to reverse (literally) when one approached greens, sand traps and the like. It felt cumbersome regards the flow of our game. Perhaps some kind of ground signage could identify these limits, or the carts could allow one to simply turn a quick circle to leave those areas. Otherwise a really nice challenging but fair course to play.

The Bog was a Bust

I’ve never played an unenjoyable Arnold Palmer-designed golf course until I played the Bog. I played 11 rounds in Wisconsin last week, and the Bog had the most disappointing course conditions. While there were recognizable AP features (bunkers), there were just too many blind shots.

Then there was pace of play. It took 20 minutes to play the first hole, and proceeded to wait on most shots for the remainder of the round. I waited less during all of my rounds in Kohler.

I was hoping for more, but I left disappointed.

Amazing time

This was an awesome time. I wish I had more time at this course. I will definitely be coming back. Thank you.

Great must play course

This was a great day of golf. Great bag drop and pro shop check in. Starter was very friendly and helpful. Cart girls were friendly cute and often seen. Food was good and great golf. I will play again soon.
Great layout and conditions. Play the Bog

Challenging track

Always enjoy a round at the bog. Dry summer has been tough on the course, but did not impact play.

Bog = A blast

One of our favorite courses in the state. Well-maintained with a beautiful secluded layout. Each hole is unique challenging all aspects of your game. Staff is always top notch. Looking forward to our next chance to play The Bog.

Just OK. Not special

Course layout is nice. Conditions were so so. Course seems beat up and tee were really bad shape. Staff is prickly and makes you feel like you are bothering them. I wouldn’t pay standard rack rate that’s for sure. Probably max it’s worth is maybe $75. All in all there’s probably better choices but it’s something worth playing once.

Good not great

Not worth the rack rate when you look at it overall, would recommend a play if you can get a cart for a deal of $40-55. Course was in average condition, carts don’t have gps which is a bummer for a course that has a nice layout.

The Bog

Overall it was very nice. I was very pleased with the pace of play for 2 two some, 4 hrs. .Played this course many times. Make sure you play the correct tees for your handicap because the slope does mean something.

Great!

Great track. Friendly staff, course in lovely condition.

A gem hiding in a small Wisconsin town!

This course will challenge you on every hole, and outright frustrate you on a few! I have to think Palmer was having a bad day when he designed a few of these holes. Nice folks, good food and drink. A class facility with a touch of a small town feel. Don't miss it!

I’ve course, worth the trip

Very nice course layout and condition. Helps to have a good GPS to help route around some holes.

Great layout and condition

The Bog (an Arnold Palmer signature design) is a fun course to play and in excellent condition. Beautiful rural Wisconsin setting a half hour north of Milwaukee with gently rolling fairways, plenty of trees and shrubs at the perimeter but mostly not in play. Generous fairways on the front give way to tighter driving areas on the back. Some sharp doglegs add interest. A few forced carries off the tee and a few blind shots, but not overly stressful for the mid-length hitter playing from appropriate tees (6300 yards). The rough is cut down to modest length, making the course much more playable, especially because drives starting down the middle can easily tumble a few yards into the rough on some holes. Greens are in great shape, not too undulating; highly receptive to irons shots but still fairly quick putting. The somewhat skeletal staff on the Tuesday we played was friendly and not intrusive. This is not Erin Hills or Whistling Straits (thankfully); the course is beautiful but playable, and the green fees are quite reasonable for the quality of the experience. Worth the drive from Chicago’s northern suburbs.

I played with a member & his son who were both perfect gentleman.

Fairways and greens were in great shape for a brisk, Fall morning. Minimal leaf cover. Some bunkers were under repairs, but understandable.
Paid a great rate, which made the outing more enjoyable.

Grafton, Wisconsin
Cedarburg, Wisconsin
West Bend, Wisconsin
Mequon, Wisconsin
Mequon, Wisconsin
KOHLER, WI | Enjoy 2 nights’ accommodations at The American Club or Inn at Woodlake, and 3 rounds of golf at Blackwolf Run and Whistling Straits courses.
KOHLER, WI | Enjoy 3 nights’ accommodations at The American Club or Inn at Woodlake, and 4 rounds of golf at Blackwolf Run and Whistling Straits courses.
LAKE GENEVA, WI | Discover Lake Geneva’s premier must-visit destination at Geneva National Resort & Club. Located off the wooded slopes and shores of Lake Como, the semi-private Geneva National presents 54 holes of legendary golf designed by Arnold Palmer, Gary Player and Lee Trevino, along with on-course lodging at the Cottages & Suites at Geneva National.
STEVENS POINT, WI | Enjoy 1 nights' accommodation at Holiday Inn Express and 2 rounds of golf at SentryWorld Golf Course.
Savor the marvelous destination that is Northern Michigan and enjoy up to 36 holes a day during the long summer days! Our Boyne golf package features exceptional flexibility and selection thanks to two of the state's finest multi-course golf resorts.