Timber Lakes Golf Course

Year Built 1999

Walking Allowed Yes, on weekdays

Amazing course

Absolutely amazing course, the tee boxes and greens are equally cared for. One of the best courses in southern illinois

The most poorly designed course I have ever played.

I golf a lot. I'm a scratch golfer who plays from the tips. The front 9 is a joke. It is ridiculously easy. The back nine is "home to the hardest closing holes in golf" they don't tell you why though. From the tips there are two 630 yard par 5s. Long holes but doable. What they fail to mention on the scorecard or the hole layout plaque next to the hole Is there's a lake in the middle of the blind fairway. This lake is about 150 yards long and I can easily reach it with a 5 iron. I hit a driver dead in the middle of said lake since I had no way of knowing it's there. Okay whatever, drop a ball and try to make up the remaining 350 yards to go. Hit a hybrid and have a chip shot in. Except, you guessed it. There's another blind lake in the fairway. This lake is 200 yards long and stops about 10 yards short of the green. The other par five is basically the same with the second lake being smaller. Back 9. Full of blind shots, blind lakes, Tiny greens, and several 8somes who couldn't keep the ball in play either.

Nice Course...Don’t make plans for the rest of the day!

I travel frequently and have passed this course numerous times. I finally decided to play. It’s a little off the interstate, but it’s easy to find with a little GPS assistance. No one was in what I would call the Pro Shop, so I had to wait at the bar. Two employees were there and they were friendly. One mentioned the pace being slow to the other employee, and that’s where they left it. I knew I was in for a long day, and this was a random Tuesday morning. I was a solo golfer stuck behind two foursomes and a threesome that was not keeping pace that was ultimately the problem. There were four groups waiting to tee off on a single hole at one point. Finally, made the turn at the 2 hour mark (when unhindered, I play 1:15-1:30Ish). The foursome directly in front of me sent two to the tee box while the others when to the clubhouse. They begrudgingly let me play through. To be fair, I didn’t give them much of a choice, because I was already annoyed by the pace. At one point I got to be 3 holes ahead of them. Pace was better on the back because those groups had some etiquette. Unfortunately, no one was to be found in the clubhouse once I was done to bring up the pace. Overall, the course is in good shape. The greens were consistent and not beat death. It was a little wet, but there was recently a lot of rain. The layout is cumbersome. Cart paths cross over a lot and you have to wait for people on the next tee box before you can clear the hole your on. The front is where you score. The back is significantly more of a challenge. I would play this course again, but only if I had time. There is nothing timely about a round on it.

Great layout, good course.

Was a good course to play. Could use better cart paths and more yardage markers, but the layout of the course was great, and worth the cost.

Golf gem

Front nine was a good warm up for a back nine that is spectacular and challenging! Wish it were closer to home.

4.5122 stars

The back nine will likely destroy you... but I love this place! Very nice greens! CAUTION: hole 16 is very tricky!!! ...still not sure which club to use or tee box I belong playing from on this par 5.

They should be on Golfnow!?

for the money, best value this side of the river.

Love this course. I think just a little out of the way from more populated areas. Always surprised there is not more people on the course. For the money, course is amazing. Always well taken care of. Greens are true. You can score on the front. The back is a real challenge. They used to have "two for tuesday". Two people play for the price of one. Heck of a deal.

Staunton, Illinois