2.4

Angus Glen Golf Club - South Course

Year Built 1995
Golf Season April - November
Architect Doug Carrick (1995) Martin Ebert (2015) Tom MacKenzie (2015) Ian Andrew

Golf Simulator Yes

Lockers

Disappointed

I am writing this note to give you some feedback regarding our round of golf on Saturday 1st October.
It is the first time my friend and I have played golf in Canada, having travelled over from the UK and we were really looking forward to it.
We deliberately booked the earliest tee time that we could at 7:40am in order to get around quickly. (We have previous experience of playing golf in the US where every game takes 5hours, even with a cart. )
On arrival at the course, all of the staff could not have been more helpful and friendly.
We were teamed up another guy and a young lady who seemed to be a semi-professional player.
We love to meet new players and have met some fun people over the years.
However, adding the extremely gifted player to our group of recreational players actually spoiled the experience for everyone concerned.
I appreciate she needs to get experience on the course she was going to compete on in the following week but she should have been put together in a group of the same standard as herself.
It was basically a gang of 3 of us going around and watching and waiting for her. Oh, wait her mother and other friend walked around with us too.
I am considered by my golfing friends to be a fast player. I have never been accused of holding up play, so to have the course marshall come out and ask us to hurry up as we were holding up play was the final insult.
We were also surprised at the extremely high number of pitch marks on the greens and divot patches on the fairways - for the high cost of the round people should be encouraged more to clean up after themselves.
Finally, I collected a basket full of trash from course - I hate the way people disburse their trash everywhere - it is a modern curse.
So it was a perfect fall morning, tainted by this overall experience - a real shame.
We hope the young lady does well in the competition.

Tough morning

Full supporter of Junior golf but was surprised to be paired up with a junior golfer and to have their mum and swing coach to walk along. The pace was quite awful due to them preparing for a tournament here next week.

To have that many divots on the greens to go along with the price or the round was tough. Seems like many golfers on the south course didn’t even attempt to fix their divots. As we were the second group out I can only imagine they were older ones.

The staff and facility was the highlight of the day.

Dirty and in disrepair

It is clear that over the last years, the club has decided to mass market to corporate events to fill up the course, to the clear detriment of the course as the crowds coming through don’t care and the staff is not looking after the course. We played on a Sunday and it was clear that the tee blocks had not been cleaned/taken care of for days! Divots, chunks of grass and garbage on almost every hole, greens with dozens of ball marks, damaged hole openings, etc. WAY overpriced for what it is. Good food and friendly service in the restaurant though!

Don’t care about their customers

It was very clear from the moment we arrived that the staff didn’t care at all about us or keeping our business. The staff managing check-in and the carts were awful, incredibly rude and reminded more of a valet at an overpriced restaurant than customer service at a golf course. The greens were in horrible shape and really ruined our round, they must have had too many tournaments where the patrons didn’t care about maintaining the course. The halfway house was closed and you could only get a soggy sandwich at the turn. Overall it was an awful experience and we won’t be returning except for a tournament we play in every year. The experience at the course has really slipped since the last time I was there.

WHAT HAPPENED TO YOU ANGUS GLEN???

Whatever happened to the good old days of Angus Glen South? It used to be the one round I looked forward to every year on Labour Day. But it seems like greed has gotten the better of them.They used have reduced rates throughout the day. Prime time was from open until noon for $165 taxes in. Noon until 3-4 $125 taxes in. And twilight $97 taxes in. Now it's $175 taxes in across the board. They used to have shuttles from the parking lot to the clubhouse and vise versa after the rounds. There were never mats on the driving range. And although most of the course is in fantastic condition, the greens were atrocious. For $175, I shouldn't have to putt through unrepaird grass and at least a dozen ball marks on anything outside of 10 feet. Public golfers used to also get a free golf cap or golf shirt with every round. There are at least a dozen other courses in the GTA that are better and much less expensive. And for those that are more expensive like Eagle's Nest, Coppercreek or Wooden Sticks, they are far more superior for marginally more money, and they also offer specials from time to time. We saw the cart girl once on the front 9 and then again as we finished number 9. No point then. The halfway house use to have BBQ items on the menu but no more.I didn't play Angus Glen during the pandemic because of all the services they took away, but were still charging $175. I wanted to enjoy the round so much yesterday, but was very disappointed and felt I was waaaay overcharged. The rest of my foursome and I have decided that was our last round at Angus Glen which is disappointing considering the nostalgia of playing it every Labour Day. But unless things improve, and they either decrease the price or make it worth the money, our very last round of golf at Angus Glen is in the books. For the money, there are so many more places I would recommend..

Save Your Money

The most over price course I've ever played. The greens were absolutely terrible, pitch marks everywhere. The pace of play was 5 hours and 20 mins on a Wednesday afternoon at 2 pm . Check in annoyed when asked where driving range was. The whole time playing the course my playing partner and i couldn't figure out how a Canadian open was hosted here. If you want to play a good course for the same money and go play TPC Toronto, or Eagles Nest. Silver Lakes just down the road is way better and half the price,

Challenging!

Every hall of south course has creek in front of its green which makes it difficult for first player to play.

Good experience

I didn’t actually get to play because it rained but the staff were very friendly and moved my tee off time to sept 12, so looking forward to trying out this course I’ve heard great things about!

Never Again!

Over rated, over Priced, noisy suburban center, poor course conditions, too much low cost public housing around most greens, a low cost apartment building in middle of course!. Fine dining advertised is actually low quality roadhouse menu. . How does a mediocre burger fries and a couple of draft beers for $100 sound? Forget ordering a mediocre steak which starts at $60 for a new York 10 0z,!. Do not recommend this course, unless you get a 50% off voucher, even then, not worth it

overpriced

I am fine playing $192 after tax to play, but would be nice if the greens weren't totally beat up and there was water available on the course at that price point.

Unionville, Ontario
Stouffville, Ontario
TUNKHANNOCK, PA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Shadowbrook Resort and 2 rounds of golf at Shadowbrook Golf Course.