Also known as Lake Barkley “Boots Randolph” Golf Course.

Boots Randolph Golf Course at Lake Barkley State Resort Park

Year Built 1972
Architect Larry Packard (1972)

Dress code Appropriate golf attire

Good State Park Course

Golfers in the Commonwealth of Kentucky need to look no further than their state park system when looking for challenging and affordable golf opportunities. There are three state parks in the southwestern part of the state that could be packaged together as part of a Kentucky State Parks golf outing. Each of these parks has a bevy of lodging and dining options as well as plenty of things to do for the entire family.

Lake Barkley State Resort Park Golf Course in Cadiz, Kentucky is not a course you will find by accident but once you get there you’ll be glad you made the trip. Located in an area referred to as the Land Between the Lakes, the Lake Barkley Lodge is in a class all its own. Designed by Edward Durell Stone, the lodge is constructed from Western Cedar, Douglas Fir, and over 3 and a half acres of glass. For those wanting more space, there are 13 cottages available.

Lake Barkley State Resort Park is home to an 18-hole championship golf course named after Boots Randolph, the great saxophone legend from Paducah, KY. The Boots Randolph Golf Course was designed by Larry Packard and recently underwent a complete greens renovation, the first course renovation in more than 20 years. The course plays along the valley floor and as a result, it’s relatively flat with no blind shots. Most of the fairways are tree-lined, but not with dense strands of trees. You’ll most likely find your ball but will most likely have to maneuver around a tree. There’s a creek that meanders throughout the property and comes into play on about 9 holes, sometimes more than once. The greens are well bunkered and are the most memorable aspect of the course. They all have a lot of undulation and a considerable amount of slope, many have multiple tiers and all are fast.

Number 18 is one of the most challenging holes on the course; if I were to name it, I’d call it “Twice Across the Creek.” You’ll need to hit across it with your tee shot, which shouldn’t be a problem unless you hit it over 260 yards or push it right. The creek crosses the fairway a second time just inside the 150 marker and the green is slightly elevated and well protected. At 395 yards from Tee 2, it takes two well-struck shots. Par is a good score here.

This is just one of the thirteen golf courses that are part of the Kentucky State Parks. They are all beautiful, well maintained, and staffed by friendly, knowledgeable staff. Most offer overnight accommodations as well as restaurants that serve great food in abundant portions.

One of my favorite courses

Beautiful course and greens! Only one piece of advice: Stay in the fairways. The Bermuda rough is tough to hit out of - once you find your ball. LOL

Great course with new greens!

This course was in great condition and I enjoyed playing here. The new greens are a little slow but played the same on every hole.

Great Day

It has been several years since I have played this course. I have always enjoyed playing here. The greens have been changed to Bermuda which I am use to playing on. They were great for new greens. The fairways were in great shape.. The thick Bermuda rough was cut but sometimes it was hard to find the ball. Stay in the fairways. This is a great course to play. I recommend it.

Course condition

The greens and fare ways are in awesome condition.

I never get tired of this course.

My wife and I are blessed to live close to a handful of courses but Boots is our go-to. My wife and I are ok golfers. We play about 15-20 times a year and we both love this course.

Renovations Complete

The course is in fantastic shape. The new greens are only going to get better the more they mature. Fairways were tight and the Bermuda rough is penal. Walk if you can. Be careful though. The local wildlife may sneak up and scare you.

Staff

Two staff keep fallowing me around the course cutting the greens and draging the sand bunkers right after I would finish the hole. Very annoying!

I'm not a great golfer...

but I have played a number of different courses in a handful of states and this is one of my favorites by far. My wife and I used to live in California and we played a bunch of different courses and they all had one thing in common...they were packed with people. Boots Randolf has never been packed and we have played here about 10 times this year. It may get busy but hardly ever do you end up waiting on folks ahead of you and that is something I very much love. It is a wonderful course as well. Challenging but open so even if you hook/slice there's a chance on some holes you could still be able to play your ball. Another local course which is wonderful, Mineral Mounds, isn't as forgiving.
My wife and I love Boots...the course and the staff are top notch. If you have the time and the weather isn't too hot/humid you should walk it but if it is the cart sure makes the heat/humidity easier to deal with.

Wish it was closer I’d play it more often

We made the trip up from Nashville,TN and it did not disappoint one bit. Staff was friendly , excellent layout of the course and the facilities were top notch from the club house , carts, driving range , etc. it’s October and the greens were he best I have ever played on. They even top Gaylord springs and hermitage back at home which are 80$ for 18. Defiantly will be back again, and I’d your hungry when your done make sure to drive down the road to hit the Buffett at The Lodge!!

Challenging but enjoyable

Great staff.....cart pulls up as you pull in. Nice staff! Great value. Interesting holes. Some you need local knowledge. Greens a little too slow for my liking but overall very nice place

Rookie

I have only been playing golf for a few months. I feel like this course is great for beginning golfers like me or golfers with a similar skill level. The course is fairly flat, there are not a lot of elevation changes or slope. Most holes have slight bends both left and right. The course requires you to play solid fundamental golf. Somebody who has been playing for a while or is a better golfer might find that its an easy course, but for a beginner like me its fantastic to take the fundamentals you have been working on at the range and implement them into a round. The course was in great shape, and the staff were fantastic. I will be back, guaranteed.

Rookie

I've only been playing golf for a few months now. I feel like this course is perfect for beginning golfers like me with a similar skill level. The course is mostly flat, there aren't many elevation changes or slope throughout it. Most holes have slight bends both left and right. This course requires you to play solid fundamental golf. Someone who has been playing for a long time and is a pretty good player might find it to be a fairly easy course, but for me it is a perfect course to take what I have been working on at the range and implement into a round. The staff were great. The course was in good shape. I will be back.

Cadiz, Kentucky