Winnapaug Golf & Country Club

Year Built 1922
Architect Donald Ross (1922)

Clubhouse, Meeting Facilities, Banquet Facilities

Great course especially for the money.

The course was in great shape. We played 9 with a cart and paid $30. I’ll definitely be back.

Westerly golf course

The course needs a lot of work. Conditions on some holes were very bad Catt paths were bad as well. Heard they are planning on doing a lot of work so would try again. When completed

Good Public Course!!

I’m glad I didn’t follow the prior reviews!
I was told when I checked in that this course was sold recently and being updated and it appears they are working very hard to do this!!
I only played 9 holes and it was easy to walk! I hope others give this course a chance!

Commented on 06/03/2022

Hello, u953862455. Thank you for visiting us at Winnapaug Golf Course. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

1922 Classic

100 year old Donald Ross classic rolling through the hills in Westerly down to the salt marsh. Not lush but still plays the way it was built in 1922. Worth the trip for glimpse back in time.

Commented on 04/26/2022

Hello, Nrtrei. We appreciate the review. You rated us 3-stars which means there is room to improve on your recent experience at Winnapaug Golf Course. Let us know, in the comments, how and where you would like to see changes from the course. Thanks for the feedback!

Awesome course

Course was an awesome mix of challenges. Tons of fun to play and for a reasonable price.

Commented on 03/30/2022

Hello, mierzwamike. Thank you for visiting us at Winnapaug Golf Course. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

First Timer

Solid course for the price. Some renovations being done on the course, but it played well and the staff in the spot shop were friendly. Definitely plan on coming back.

Commented on 04/26/2022

Thank you for taking the time to review us, bucs28. Your feedback is valuable, and we look forward to delivering you excellent service again soon. Winnapaug Golf Course thanks you!

Below standard

Pace was 5 hours due to no ranger pushing the bad golfers hitting 3-4 balls a hole. Course was in dis-repair on many holes. Fairways were overgrown. Greens were bumpy and needed to be cut. At $50 with cart, not worth the bad clientele or long round. I played this course many times, and have never seen it this bad. I won’t be back.

Commented on 04/25/2022

Hello, u000006227617. Thank you for reviewing the course. We would like to apologize for your recent experience.

We're sorry to hear you were less than satisfied during your round. We pride ourselves on our providing great service and the high-quality standards we maintain.

We would like to make things right. Please reach out to our management team at the pro shop.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Commented on 04/15/2022

Hello, shanyoung05. We appreciate the review. You rated us 3-stars which means there is room to improve on your recent experience at Winnapaug Golf Course. Let us know, in the comments, how and where you would like to see changes from the course. Thanks for the feedback!

Commented on 03/16/2022

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating, jmartaz88! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Winnapaug Golf Course!

Greens

The finest putting surfaces I've putted on in years, super job by maintenance.

Commented on 11/22/2021

Thank you for your review, No3PuttsPaul. We will pass along your positive experience to our team at Winnapaug Golf Course. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Commented on 10/18/2021

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating, hondarider4893! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Winnapaug Golf Course!

Slow

Very slow 5.5 hour round. Not a bad first few holes, but back up on 3 all the way through 18. Behind very slow groups. Marshall did nothing.

Commented on 10/12/2021

Hello u314159382671, thank you for taking the time to review us, and for the 3 stars. We're sorry to hear the course may not have been in the best shape on the day of your round. We appreciate your feedback as we work to make any necessary improvements. Thank you for choosing to golf with us, and we look forward to seeing you again soon at Winnapaug Golf Course.

Great Sunday Round

Teed off at 8, finished at 1130- greens were as good as anywhere I have played this year- tee boxes were a bit unlevel in spots- course played beautifully.

Commented on 09/20/2021

Hi, bcrookes. Thank you so much for the great review. We are glad you had an incredible time, and we hope to see you again soon! Thanks for choosing Winnapaug Golf Course.

Course conditions!!

Greens & surrounds were in great shape . Love the layout ! Will play again !

Commented on 09/16/2021

Hello, u000005494053. Thank you for visiting us at Winnapaug Golf Course. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Great greens

Ok so the course is dry
But the greens and some of the layouts are challenging

Commented on 09/22/2021

Hello, u000007918628. Thank you for visiting us at Winnapaug Golf Course. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Lots of Potential

This was our first time playing here and wanted to give it a try before the renovations and improvements happen, we liked it enough to go back the next week and play it again in better weather. We understand there is new ownership and course management and are hopeful that the course will improve. That said, the newly refurbished greens were magnificent, and I understand that the new course superintendent decided to concentrate on the greens first--and glad that he did--like putting on velvet! The rest of the course was a bit rough around the edges, but definitely playable and we are looking forward to the transition over the next year--if the rebuilt greens are any example of the quality of this new superintendent, then this is a course that Donald Ross would be proud of again, in time! A few quick suggestions, that I'm hopeful are on the to-do list:
1. Replace the porta potties with a higher quality model, the one I used was scary! Better yet add a full service bathroom somewhere between 9th and 10th holes (to avoid having to double back to the clubhouse).
2. Even though the restaurant was closed, the patio could have been better maintained, we would've liked to have stayed for a chat and beers but many of the chairs were overturned, the tables were not clean, and there was a lot of debris on the patio floor. We didn't have a beverage cart the Sunday or Friday we played, if that continues, they should encourage a BYOB policy until that service is available again.
3. The ladies’ restroom and pro shop could use some extra attention to cleanliness and some renovations, both were a bit shabby. Women will like this course, it plays well to our handicaps, but the amenities are lacking feminine appeal. IMO.
4. Better markings for yardage/distance from holes, I was always guessing—I haven’t adjusted to GPS yet.
5. Maybe consider (someday) reversing the order of the holes so the ocean holes are on the front nine, that way nine-hole players will have a chance to play the ocean holes—as it is now if you can play just 9 holes, you will miss those holes if only allowed to play the front 9.
6. A practice driving range of any size would be nice to warm up, it doesn’t need to be extensive.
We will be back to play again and monitor the progress of improvements to the tee boxes, fairways, traps and cart paths--all are fixable with an experienced superintendent and enough staff to make it all come together!

We wish you much luck and good fortune with this course, it's begging for better care and attention!

Commented on 11/09/2021

Hi, h5mpya30FxVPeITO97Xz! Thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is important to us. Please know the current conditions are by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We will continue to work towards a 5-star experience and we hope to see you back!

Commented on 09/07/2021

Thank you for reviewing us, Gary6616701. We see you rated the course 3-stars and are interested in learning what we can do to improve before your next round. Feel free to comment on this review or reach out to the team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing Winnapaug Golf Course, and we hope to see you again soon.

Plays Once a year

NEED A REFUND

they would accept the Golf now voucher..so i need to get a refund from Golf now

who do i contact?

Commented on 09/02/2021

Hi, bella0504. Thank you for taking the time to review the course. We take single star feedback very seriously at our course. You are welcome to comment further or reach out to our team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback.

First Time

Only played front nine so can't comment on 10-18. Greens were immaculate. Some of the best all year. Tee boxes not so much and fairways were just so-so. Lot of elevation and some blind spot shots made it more interesting. Will come back and hope to play a full round. Money value rating based on Hot Deal and Golf Now credits but it look to be pretty competitive with other courses in the area.

Commented on 09/01/2021

Hi, ydPmEnrvYMAEL7oIbOcL! Thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is important to us. We will make note and we hope to see you back at Winnapaug Golf Course!

Westerly, Rhode Island
Stonington, Connecticut
Hope Valley, Rhode Island
Fishers Island, New York
Hope Valley, Rhode Island
ATLANTIC CITY, NJ | Enjoy 2 nights' accommodations at Seaview, A Dolce Hotel and 2 rounds of golf at Seaview Golf Club - Bay & Pines Courses.