Blue Fox Run Golf Club

Year Built 1970
Architect Joseph Brunoli (1970) Stephen Kay (2008) Doug Smith (2008)

Golf School Academy Yes - "Blue Fox Run Golf Academy"

Snacks, Restaurant

9-Hole Rounds 7

Course worth playing

Played on Saturday 7/24 and did not experience the slow pace colemelson described. Maybe he had a bad day? The par 4 on red, before the short par 5 on red is an uphill par 4 with no water anywhere. Conditions overall were excellent, consistent amount of rain in July.
Never waited on the tee except for golfers in front of us to clear. Very pleasant experience and the staff is accommodating and friendly.
The starter made sure your tee time was on time and he was always attentive.
Would go back and enjoy the amenities Blue Fox Run offers.

Played here on a Saturday morning and the pace of play was slow to put it the nicest way possible, waited for about 10 min between each hole, they clearly overbooked and did not spread the tee times out. Then When we got to one hole that last year had a green side bunker is now just a huge standing water area that should not be there, it covered the entire bunker and the front of the green and it was probably the worst course management that I have ever seen. Anyone that has gone recently knows exactly the hole I'm talking about on red right before the short par 5. Highly recommend not going to this course and wasting your money.

Commented on 07/29/2021

Hello, thank you for reviewing the course. We apologize for the delay of play during your round. This is by no means the standard we strive to achieve. With that in mind, we are working to best control pace and allow everyone to finish in a reasonable amount of time. We will continue to look for ways to improve. Thank you for playing and we hope to see you again soon.

Connecticut Advisor

Greener Days for the Blue Fox

Last year conditions at Blue Fox were disappointing; this year they’ve been revived to respectability. That has made all the difference.

The three separate layouts are all well designed, with the White standing out for me as best overall. After a straightforward first, every hole on this somewhat links-like nine impresses, but the par-3 second, along with the par-five fifth and eighth holes, stand out.

Five is one of the best par-5’s in Connecticut, starting with a landing zone that rolls boldly in the fairway, which is guarded by sprawling bunkers, and finishing atop a perched green fronted by a St. Andrews-styled “Road Hole” bunker that demands a precise long-range approach if you hope to avoid it. The eighth, although not as dramatic from tee to green, finishes with a flourish, its green situated on a sizable hill with falloffs all around. Miss this green and your short game will be tested.

The Red is nearly as good, although not as consistent. But two outstanding holes are worth the price of admission: four and seven. Although short at some 300 yards, the fourth sports a terrific green complex set on a plateau rising about three ‘stories’ about the fairway, and putting the green itself presents challenges. And the green at the par-three seventh delivers more magic around its long, narrow and beautifully-contoured surface, with a cleverly tucked, narrow bunker below the green on the right, where invisible from the tee. To the right of the bunker is a pond to catch big misses. A pine tree to the left of the green also spells trouble if you pull your tee shot.

Conditioning today showed that the drought-induced problems of 2020 are now in the rear-view mirror. The greatest improvement has come on the fairways, which now range from average to excellent, although one outlier, the seventh on the White, is only fair. Greens are close to excellent; fringes were mostly good; bunkers good but fringed by weeds; tees acceptable. But the roughs lagged behind all--they’re fair at best. Still, the very significant improvement over what I experienced here last August was undeniable. Kudos to the groundskeeping staff. Best of all, the layout simply looks like a golf course again, which is no small thing.

Service and friendliness here are as professional and responsive as at any course I’ve played. When I experienced a playing issue between the two nines, Jay (the General Manager) responded immediately.

I frequented this course often in the late 80’s/early 90’s when there were two nines here, and the venue was then, in my estimation, one of the state’s premier golf courses, to be mentioned in the same breath with Lyman, Shennecossett, et al. Given the ups and downs of conditioning here over the past few years, Blue Fox hasn’t enjoyed the top-notch status it should have. I’m hopeful that ownership will finish going the extra mile, returning the former luster to this impressive venue.

Lots of water due to weather leading up, staff did a nice job making the course playable,

Course coming back, some areas of concern but over all a good track. look forward to coming back..

$52 cart and play, i have paid more fore worse.

Blue Fox

Fun course to play, greens and fairways usually in great shape. Traps can use some more sand.

Good, but needs some work.

I love how wide open the course is, while there’s trees, there’s not too many woods and allows for mistakes. The pace of play was excellent, with 3 different 9 hole course, nobody is on top of each other. My issue is with the bunkers, there’s a ton of them green side but hardly any had true sand and some of them are extremely deep. Will definitely play again because of the pace, but could definitely use some love.

Commented on 07/06/2021

Hello,

Let us first say that we are so glad to hear you enjoyed your visit. We work hard to create an enjoyable experience so you can focus on enjoying yourself and let us do the rest. We also want to thank you for your honest and constructive criticism of the course.

We are going to escalate your review to our team in charge and do everything we can to improve before your next game.

Thank you for visiting and playing at Blue Fox Run Golf Club - White Nine. We hope to see you again soon!

Getting Better

I played here at the beginning of May and it was pretty bad and although it was the beginning of golf season the Red/White and Blue (especially the Blue) should not have been this bad. It was totally due to no upkeep. Played Red/White in June and it was much much better, Played Red/White last week and it was great. Today I played White/Blue. White was in fantastic shape. The Blue was still in rough condition. Fairways were better but the traps were atrocious and the overgrowth is out of control. Stick to Red/White if playing. Definitely getting better though.

Commented on 07/06/2021

We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass on your feedback to the team. Thanks for visiting Blue Fox Run Golf Club - White Nine, and we hope to see you again in the future.

Great Layout

One of my favorite courses in CT to play compared to 2020 when they had no irrigation the greens and fairways are well kept and it’s got that open linksy feel one of my favorite courses to post good scores and feel good about my game.

Great greens

The course was in good condition, and the greens were in excellent condition. The staff was
Very friendly and informational.

Getting better.

They are trying to improve the course
It is
Somewhat better than it
Was
Greens were fine. Fairways were just ok other areas need work.
This use to be a pristine course. It isn’t any more.

Commented on 06/29/2021

Thank you for taking the time to review us, and for the 3 stars. We're sorry to hear the course may not have been in the best shape on the day of your round, and we appreciate your feedback so may work on any necessary improvements. Thank you for choosing to golf with us, and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

BF RUN

Love the course, very quick play. Only downside a few greens were damaged by disease or over fertilizing. Hope they bounce back

The course conditions have improved over the last 2 years,but have a long way to go. The staff is great. I'll be back.

Commented on 06/24/2021

We appreciate your feedback and leaving a review. We will inform the entire team, so they know their hard work is paying off. We look forward to having you back at Blue Fox Run Golf Club - White Nine!

Great Recovery & Improvements

This course was in poor shape the last time I played it in 2020, but things (traps, greens, tee boxes) were in much better shape. Love the layout and the variety of hole configurations.

The staff that I talked with was very accommodating , and made adjustments to scheduling my tee time under a unique situation. Thankful and greatfull

3.1932235294