Minnechaug Golf Course

Year Built 1959

Carts Yes - $9

Credit Cards Accepted VISA, MasterCard, Discover Accepted

9-Hole Rounds 21

Interesting course, but needs some sprucing up

The course itself was very interesting, many different holes, with many different ways to attack each hole. The problem was, I was more concerned about my golf clubs being damaged by the conditions of the course, then by my swing or overuse. Many patches of grass missing, greens had a yellowish tint, and clearly struggling to keep up with reseeding and supporting the fairways. I was hoping for a better condition, given the community it is located in, but it is what it is. I'm hoping to return in the summer and see the course more spruced up.

Great 9 Hole Course

We’ve been playing here for years and really enjoy it. Small course, but fun and enjoyable. Walk or ride.

golf carts

fun course, great staff and green are in great shape

Solid

Great course for the money. Fathers day outing was fun. Laid back, great atmosphere

Good value

Greens are In good shape fairways alittle rough, final 2 holes are really fun and with the hot deal in themselves!

Great bang for your buck!

Course was in great shape, considering it’s November. Can’t beat the price. I would definitely play again

Connecticut Advisor

A Return to Health

Minnechaug, a clever nine-holer by Geoffrey Cornish, is not an especially rugged course, although there are a few sizeable hills to climb or descend on the longer holes. But even these mainly flow over and through the wooded terrain here, fitting quite naturally into the landscape (there are a few humps and hillocks that were added, artificially). After a relatively easy beginning at the first—a drive-and-pitch par four—you’ll need accuracy off the tee to meet the challenge of the next four holes: two par-fours; two fives. These comprise the core of Minnechaug, as there are enough trees throughout this stretch to snag errant shots. The best hole among these is arguably the second, a short four-par with a tight landing area. Survive the drive—and its threatening landing zone—and you’ll be rewarded with a short iron or wedge into a plateau green. The two five-par 5’s also add some spice because both can be reached by longer hitters, assuming they are also straight hitters.

The course doesn’t let up much on six, an excellent mid-length par-three to a narrow green. But your tee shot must miss the right side marsh. The last three holes all present birdie opportunities, though the least likely will be at the ninth, where a forced water carry that should land on a table green is no easy task. From the tips, the ninth plays over 190. The eighth green, on the other hand, is surrounded by water—Minnechaug’s signature island hole, though a tad more forgiving than most of its type. In my experience playing the eighth, at least one ball per foursome will go swimming.

True to Cornish’s design philosophy, there is a generally Scottish feel that informs how the terrain rolls here on the par-fours and fives. Every one of these holes has some significant ground movement that makes playing at Minnechaug interesting. Examples are the big falloff on the left side of green one, the abrupt and very large embankment preceding green two (which defends this green), or the big hump at the corner of the dogleg at seven, in which is embedded a massive—and of course strategically placed—cloverleaf bunker. The latter often plays havoc with overly aggressive shots hit from tee seven.

What you get in this smaller-than-average package is a strong nine-holer, falling somewhere between an executive layout and the typical track. It’s perfect for less experienced golfers, but mid and lower handicappers will enjoy the challenges here just as much, especially if they want to play a quick nine.

Other notes, comments, and opinions:

A) Conditioning has made a pleasant recovery, overall, since the summer drought. Most notable are the truly outstanding greens here, which run velvety smooth and fast. They’re virtually perfect, as good as any I’ve played over the past three months. Chipping/pitching areas around the greens are average, and the fairways need some work, still, but only in places. They’ll likely recover fully by mid-late spring of 2021. The tees, however, are much better than when I played here two months ago.
B) A ranger (a friendly and personable gentleman) was patrolling the course today. Hosanna! Pace of play was pretty good, though it could have been a bit faster. Staffers that I met in the pro shop today were both conversational and pleasant. I’ve always liked the atmosphere here.
C) Played with a group of three young gentleman from hole three onward. All were avid golfers, which means, as you may guess, that we enjoyed each other’s company. Minnechaug was also putting on a teaching clinic for very young junior golfers today. Nice to see!

Nice 9-Hole course

I’ve played Minnechaug for over 25 years and have seen a lot of changes over the years. The current management is doing an excellent job in maintaining the course under the conditions we have faced This season!

Good value for money

The conditions on the course have deteriorated over the past weeks. Too many bare spots in fairways. Senior tee boxes on holes 8 and 9 have no grass.

Commented on 10/16/2020

Hi, Chris! Thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is important to us. Please know the current conditions are by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We will continue to work towards a 5-star experience and we hope to see you back!

Greens in great shape!

The greens here are in great shape and roll nicely! The fairways though show the effects of a very dry year. Hope they come back nicely for next year.

Commented on 09/29/2020

Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We see you rated the course 2-stars and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit. We take customer feedback very seriously at our course. Please reach out to our team in the golf shop and tell us what's on your mind. Thank you for playing Minnechaug Golf Course.

Commented on 09/29/2020

Thank you for reviewing us! We see you rated the course 3-stars and are interested in learning what we can do to improve before your next round. Feel free to comment on this review or reach out to the team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing Minnechaug Golf Course, and we hope to see you again soon.

nut bad but not for me

not fond of the course but for $13 dea,l 9 w/cart. figured a bargain to work on my game...not a dificult course, some holes leave you scratching ones head trying to understand why they were designed the way they were, short course, finishing with 2 par 3;s one a fun island hole and the 9th over a pond, both fairly easy finishing holes. Greens in decent shape but fast, again not my preference.

Commented on 09/22/2020

Hi, thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is important to us. Please know that the current conditions are by no means the standard we strive to achieve. We will continue to work towards a 5-star experience and we hope to see you back!

Manchester, Connecticut