Tapawingo National Golf Club

Year Built 1994
Architect Gary Player (1994)

Not worth the price

This is a very beautiful course, the tee boxes and fairways were in great condition. Greens were very bumpy. Pace of play was horrible- why have a starter if you’re not going to have a Marshall going around to monitor play? Greens keepers will drive their gators right by you when hitting- water the greens while you are putting. It’s a great course but not ran how it should be for the price.

Missouri Advisor

Good Greens, Tee Boxes In Desperate Need Of Attention

Tapawingo National has three nine-hole courses. We always try to include the Woodlands nine because this is the most picturesque nine. We played the Woodlands/Prairie nines. It has many moguls on sides of fairways and greens. Difficult to walk when it is carts on path and you can fall if the grass is wet and going downhill.

Let’s first talk about the good things about the course.

The greens were fast, firm, and smooth. I think the fastest I’ve ever seen them. They do have a mixture of bent and poa annua grasses on the greens. Right now, the poa annua grasses have a yellowish color to them.

I saw the beverage cart at least 5 times which will be more important on the warmer summer days.

It has a large and beautiful clubhouse. The pro shop is very appealing to the eye. They also have the best hot dog in town. They split an all-beef hot dog, grill it, and then placed it in a toasted hoagie style bun. Delicious!

They had two people in the pro shop helping players pay for their green fees. Rarely seen.

Now, let’s talk about the issues with the course.

The tee boxes are in desperate need of attention. Almost every tee box had bare spots and the worst being the tee boxes on the par 3, 6th hole on the Woodlands. There are also numerous bare spots throughout the course – near hills and some greens.

The price of $72 on a Saturday morning is too high considering the shape of the tee boxes. You can play two better designed golf courses, which are in better shape in the area for the same price. Annbriar ($70) & Gateway National ($75). I have not played Spencer T. Olin yet this year, usually in great shape and an even better green fee rate.

I think the course needs a starter with more of a pleasant personality. Overly obsessed with the cart numbers of the carts, instead of saying “Welcome to Tapawingo – hope you enjoy your round.”

I’ve always felt the zoysia fairways have always been on the thin side when compared to other courses with zoysia.

Our pace of play was not good. We waited about 5 minutes on every shot. There was a course ranger, but I don’t think he was doing anything about it. I saw a five-some on the course with the 5th person standing and riding on the back of the cart. Something, I don’t want to see when pace of play is an issue.

The course has a large population of Canadian geese which have had numerous babies. With the parents hissing at you when you pass. They do have a fake coyote on the 8th hole of the Prairie nine which seemed to help because there were no geese in that pond. Maybe they need more fake coyotes or dogs to chase them away.

In summary, there are better choices in the area to play that are in the $70-$75 price point.

a good time

Course was challenging but couldn't appreciate because I got behind 4 women that wouldn't let me p[ay through

Cool Sunday Morning

I arrived at 7:45 am shortly before tee off. The staff is great, filled me in on conditions, got the bag to the cart and to my suppose there was someone with a cart to take me back to the clubhouse once I parked. Finished under 3.5 hrs. Greens are fairly fast and the rough and fairways in good condition. Sant traps were the only inconsistent thing I count. Some hard packed from ? Others perfect. Great well stocked pro shop!

Slow play and aerated greens

We tee’d off at 9:15 on a Saturday morning and didn’t finish until 2:30.... painfully slow. The group in front of us was looking in the wood for balls on almost every hole. Also, as far as I know, we paid normal weekend rates and had newly aerated greens on many holes, which were almost impossible to get a true roll on any putt less than 10 feet. I don’t spring golf with aeration, but 1) I want to know in advance it was done, and 2) I’d expect to pay less since I’m losing 1-2 shots per hole without putting on good greens.

I liked the Woodlands 9

The Meramec 9 was flat with water in play on 7 holes. Water off the tee is hidden on holes 4 & 7. The greens on this 9 had recently been aerified, which would have been nice to know. The Woodlands was a much better 9, imo. The holes were more interesting, and had more elevation changes. The greens on this 9 were not aerified, but had bad poa annua infestation on a number of greens. Course was soaking wet due to recent rain, which led to cart path only and a grinding pace of play. I'd play it again, if I could be guaranteed Woodlands/Prairie 9s, but I don't think golfnow lets you know which 9s you'll play.

Especially the woodlands has very interesting and challenging holes

Very Disappointed

Even the Hot Deal price was too much for the conditions of this course. The greens were spotty and bumpy, and the fairways and rough were overgrown and in need of TLC. Obviously not enough help on the greens keeping staff. We play a lot of courses in the area that charge a lot less for a better experience. We are not in a hurry to return anytime soon.

Nice course, greens aerated

Course was wet from two days of rain. Charged full price when greens were aerated, they never told you at booking this was the case. Tee boxes were okay, for early in season. Pace was slow. Had foursome twosome foursome then twosome. Doesn’t make sense to me.

Fenton, Missouri
Fenton, Missouri
Kirkwood, Missouri
High Ridge, Missouri
Saint Louis, Missouri

LAKE OZARK, MO | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at The Lodge of Four Seasons and 2 rounds of golf at The Cove and The Ridge at The Lodge of Four Seasons.