Type Public/Resort
Style Traditional

Although it's only an hour from New York City, the Garrison's secluded location nestled in the Hudson Highlands makes it feel much further. Perched 800 feet above the Hudson River, the 18-hole Garrison golf course offers panoramic views of the river and the surrounding mountains. As beautiful as the rolling hills are, they provide a challenging topography that will keep you from being distracted by the scenery. The rolling greens are flanked with bunkers and water. In addition to the uphill, downhill, and side hill lies, you can expect a few tough carries over deep ravines and stands of mature oaks along the fairways. The elevation changes are especially dramatic on the front nine while the back nine is a bit more open and forgiving, but you'll still need accuracy throughout the entire golf course.

Garrison Golf Club

Year Built 1961
Architect Dick Wilson (1961)

Dress code Shirts must have collars and shorts must be of Bermuda length. Tank tops, tee shirts and jeans of any style or color are not permitted at any time.

Beverage Carts

Lodging

Lodging Available

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities, Spa

Fitness

It’s a goat track

It’s almost all hills and slopes, very well tended, fast greens. Never go on a day where heavy wind is in the forecast, because the winds coming off the Hudson valley will kill your scorecard.

Historic Track

Love this course lotta fun great track tough greens excellent views shame it’s closing play it while you can !

Recent course conditions

Course conditions poor, T boxes poorly kept, no drinks no food service.
Staff were very friendly.

I will not return.

Need a Ranger

This courses needs a ranger to make sure pace of play is kept up.On the 17th hole the group in front of me and each hit 3 tee shots.

Hit’m straight and your sure to beat the course

It’s not a difficult layout but there are a bit of curves and turns. Everything plays fair. Nicely sized greens. And plenty of opportunities if your hitting 3 from the fairways or cuts. You can get close to the pin and dump many in one. Long hitters only have a small advantage on 30-40 percent of the holes.
A short ball in the fairway is always better than a long ball in the woods.
Hit’m straight.!!

Just another upstate muni

First time playing on 11/16/20. Always wanted to take a trip from LI to play but couldn’t get a tee time early enough to finish all 18. Finally got 10:20am for $40. Get there and there’s nobody around to receive you or direct you anywhere. Ghost town. Signs everywhere don’t come in the pro shop. So I tap on the window and the lady inside points. I don’t even know where she’s pointing to. Whatever. Idc. At this point it’s been 10 minutes since I've been waiting to be helped. Finally some guy comes outside(mind you it’s 39’ out). Give him my credit card, comes back out and tells me I’m ready to go. Right here is the first tee. I asked I can tee off whenever I’m ready? He replies “No, no. I have a lot of groups. Go now.”. Yes, after a 1hr 40 min drive from the middle of L.I. and waiting 10 minutes for someone to come out and help me in 39’ temperatures being rushed to start is what I want lol. It’s around 9:20am. I do love to start early and get in before the crowd and play fast but I wanted to take a few hacks with my resistance fan to properly warm up and stretch. Only took a few swings and didn’t stretch. Waiting on the first tee and some other gentleman helped me when I asked him where to go after I tee off to get down to the fairway bc I’ve never played the course before. God knows where the starter was(probably went back inside bc he had nobody to rush). He kindly showed me where to go. As I’m still waiting the guy from the beginning came back outside and asked me if I was going to tee off. Yes, I’m going to tee off as soon as the two older gentleman ahead of me aren’t 200 yds away from the tee box in the middle of the fairway. I’m sure the last thing anyone wants is to be hit in the head with a golf ball when it’s 39’ out. Jesus, this starter has a rushing problem. Leave maintenance this course did a good job keeping them off the fairway and rough area. I was able to find my ball despite it being in the rough. Green conditions aren’t the best, too bumpy and inconsistent for my liking but I’ve seen worse. Tee boxes were poorly kept. Take note my home course is Bethpage state park so I may sound spoiled/bias in regards to course conditions and upkeep. Course layout is just another upstate muni. Elevations, uphill, downhill, dog legs. Way too many dog legs but the holes are fair if you’re able to hit accurate shots off the tee box and then follow up with accurate long irons and woods. Miss shots end up rolling off the fairway or ending up in water/hazards in front of the green. Played on a Monday morning. Didn’t see a ranger once. Don’t know if they have one on the weekends or not. Pace of play was great for me. 3hrs and 40 min which led to a perfect drive home before all the rush hour traffic. I was able to get home around 3:10pm. Beautiful views of the Hudson and the mountains which is why I like to venture more north during the fall for my golf rounds. Place is a good course but nothing special. Definitely not worth the $80 weekend rate they charge. If you live in the area book a round if the rate is low enough. If you have to make a hour+ long trip it wouldn’t be on my priority list to play unless you’re able to get a good rate like I did and early enough tee time.

I felt cheated

This is the second time I have played Garrison. I was looking forward to the round as last years round was played in heavy wind. This is not a course to play in the wind as it's very exposed. However, the round started on a sour note. I had expected to pay $55 for the round ( as had my partners) given the fee noted on GolfNow where the round was booked. However, I was charged an additional $9 for a "cart charge" even though I was sharing a cart. After the round was over I discussed this charge with the Staff. That effort went nowhere. This is not a $64 golf course. It's barely a $45 course, especially in the late fall. Have no plans to play there ever again. I saw complaints about the added fee charge in other posts so it's a ongoing issue.

Leaves

The course has leav s all over the place. There are leaves on the greens , on the fairways, on the tee box’s.Finding golf balls is almost impossible.
Pace of play was terrible .After 5 hours I left and still had 3 holes to play.

Garrison, New York