2.2
2.3

Style Links

Having opened in 2014, Sweetens Cove Golf Club is nestled in South Pittsburg, Tennessee. In a town with a population of roughly 3,000 people, this nine-hole course wasn’t built like most golf courses. Featured in a New York Times Article, architect and owner-operator Rob Collins hired a crew and spent roughly $1 million to build the course from scratch, without help from any golf course design firms. Players can walk the course for $25, or for $35 can take out a cart to play. If you’ve got a lot of time on your hands, you can play the course all day with a cart for only $100. Prepare to bring some breakfast for the breakfast ball, because there’s no clubhouse to get food, only a shed where you check-in. What makes this course fun is players get a little taste of everything. From drivable par 4s, to lengthy and hilly greens, expect everything but the kitchen sink. Since its opening, several household names have joined Collins’ to be an investor including Peyton Manning and Andy Roddick.

Year Built 1951
Fairways 419 Bermuda Grass
Greens Mini Verde Grass
Architect Rob Collins (2011) Tad King (2011)

9-Hole Rounds 9

A course that absolutely nails it for unique golf experience

Purchased an all-day pass and played 40 holes without having to wait for more than 1 or 2 shots. Loved how they manage the amount of people out there to benefit speed of play. Course was in excellent shape despite a little bit of casual water here and there. Greens rolled extremely well, each hole had a distinct challenge and required different shots. Obviously the show stopper here is the greens which are wild and comically difficult in some places, bordering on unfair but that is the hole allure. Once I stopped keeping score and just hit shots I had the most fun. I also found that anytime I was within 15 yards of the green I was putting, sometimes up 8 foot slopes which is an experience I have never had before. Wouldn't want to play here everyday but I will definitely be back every year.

Why did I wait so long?

I live 2 hours away and have wanted to go. I called and was told they were booked until November BUT they had an event cancel and had room. I booked a tee time and was the first ones off on a slightly foggy morning. The course is an amazing piece of land in a valley. As you arrive the first thing I noticed is the practice putting green.....elephant buried there. Crazy elevations and undulations. I joined Michael (picture with me) and Troy and we were off. Course is is perfect shape - literally not a weed! Fairways are wide, plenty of natural bunkers, some water and you can find trouble off the tee if not careful. The biggest adjustment is remember to the right flag. There are blue flags and a white/blue flag. Greens are so massive I think they should have 3 flags - go RED/WHITE/BLUE. When you play 36 - 54 holes in a day more options would be fun.
I played the white tees first, then the blue and then the tips twice. I am a 4.4 hdcp and was 6 over for the 36 holes and hit 24/36 GIR. If you can place your approach shots correctly you will avoid some insane putts that are easy to 3 putt. Many false fronts you need to carry and many pins deep in the green you can not go over.

They could easily get a grill and do burgers/hot dogs for lunch. Simply get a local senior/retires golfer and trade them for free golf to do that from 11-2 might work well. I will be back. I had waited because I could never get anyone to go with me - SCREW THAT - just go! There are plenty of people to play with. I really think if they are booked you should still go. Since when you make a tee time they DO NOT collect any payment so the no show factor must be 10-20%. I think they should collect at least $10 - $50 to make the tee time. Just like many restaurants are taking a booking fee when you place the reservation. I

Tips - bring your own cooler and ice. They do provide coolers with water bottles on 1 - 4 and 7 which is nice. Limited beer available and NO food. No where nice to go close by so best to BRING your own lunch and snacks with you! Think ahead.

Seeing is Believing

Few places actually live up to the hype that they receive. Sweeten's Cove actually lives up to the hype and more. When you drive up, the initial impression is underwhelming. Gravel parking lot, portable bathrooms and a backyard storage shed to check in. Once you get out of the car, you start to understand the hype. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The putting green is like a roller coaster, with unbelievable twists and turns. We spent 30 minutes on it before and after playing 27 holes just having fun. You have a great view of the entire course and surrounding mountains from the shed area. It's just stunning.
Now for the golf. WOW is my best summary. The tees are wide open with large landing areas. The approach shots are a challenge and the short game when you miss a green presents extreme situations. It took far too many holes for me to figure out that I needed to leave the lob wedge in the back and use a putter anytime I was on short grass within 20-30 feet of the green. Just a couple of feet short or long of the needed landing area on approaches, chips and pitches would find the ball rolling back to your feet or off the backside of the green. Don't worry about your score. Just enjoy the experience. You will likely have a big number or two around the course. Just take a deep breath, a quick look at the mountains and realize that there is more to golf than posting a low score on a hole.
This was truly a fun day. The late morning 9 was a little slow and stayed backed up till we got past #5. Then the pace picked up to a fun level. The last 2 nines were very fast, as the course seemed to start clearing out after noon.
I plan to return. You should play this course. You'll be glad you did.

Highly ranked Tennessee Course for a reason

Amazing 9 hole course that iso r of the best overall courses in state for a reason. Combine with Seewanee 9 hole up road for 18
Hole day!

The greens have to be seen to be believed, I putted many extra balls. Great concept worth two pins: one easy and one difficult!

Incentivized Review

Succeeded expectations!!

I have been wanting to make the drive from Memphis for over a year now and glad I finally did. By far the most extreme and fun greens I’ve ever played on. Can’t wait to come back in the spring

Pure golf

Rarely do you go to a course that lives up to the hype , Sweetens. Cove is as good as advertised and for all the right reasons! What a treat to play a course that leaves you wanting to play golf all day long

Birmingham Advisor

Short-game stresser

Third visit to Sweetens. Brought my son for the first time.

Course was in stellar shape considering the course basically sits in a geographically natural bathtub and had received 11 inches of rain in the past 10 days. Bunkers had a lot of casual water but the fairways, except for a few spots, were exceptionally dry and exceedingly playable.

What I had forgotten about this place, but was quickly reminded, is how much pressure it puts on your short game. It is easy to chip from one side of a green to the other. There is also not really any rough on the course other than the fescue-lined areas that frame the holes, so you really have to be a wizard with a wedge to get chips and pitches close from the closely-mown areas. Less loft is recommended and you will be tested to judge how hard to hit a putter from off the green up a 5-foot slope and get it to come to rest on the proper level. Good luck, because double bogey is lurking everywhere. In fact, it occurred to me on this time around that I think most players will more readily make a birdie or bogey or worse than par on these holes. That sounds kind of crazy, but the rollicking green sites and swales that can funnel a ball just as quickly away from pins as it does toward them offers a feast or famine scorecard.

The bunkers, due to the water, were tough to play from, but this is understandable. Even in ideal conditions, they are no picnic, particularly the greenside bunkers. They are claustrophobic in size in many cases. Sometimes banging your ball off the railroad tie facades of the bunkers is the best, if not only, play to give yourself a better chance of escaping them.

There have been many improvements since my last trip. I don’t remember water stations throughout the course as there is now. A huge, Himalayas-style practice green is about ready to debut in late November, which will provide countless pre- and post-round fun.

Something else that has been added since my last trip is dual pin flags on each green. Obviously, with the nine-hole layout, this provides a different challenge between the loops. We picked a color to play to on the front and the other on the back, but there are many options for fun games for all skill levels.

Keep up the good work gents!

Fun layout with wild greens

Sweetens Cove is a very unique nine hole course with large greens with two pins so you get a different look on your second nine. The greens are as challenging as any I have ever played with swales, humps, drop-offs and false fronts. It actually was quite fun trying to figure the greens out and three putting was not a reason to get upset. It is a beautiful setting with an interesting routing with plenty of room to work off the tee which allowed a variety of angles for your approach shots. It is a great match play course that is a must play in the Chattanooga area.

Golf Advisor

A walk on the wild side

Interesting, engaging, frustrating - a wild combination of vast, multi-option-fairways and putting surfaces that defy gravity and logic. Worth seeing, if o ny to find out out what all the buzz is about. Aspires to be a Tobacco Road but not quite up to the visual intrigue of that legendary course. Certainly not minimalist, given the earth mowing to create everything. Soil is wrong for the intended ground game and the site floods a lot. Still worth seeing/playing/evaluating. One of those courses that polarizes, with opinion split between cultists and skeptics.

Golf Channel

Golf Advisor Getaway at Sweetens Cove

Having heard so much about the course, I was eager to check it out! It was in pretty nice shape considering the lack of rain in the area. Off the tee the course was pretty forgiving and right in front of you. Once you get to the green complexes, look out! It is as if there are buried elephants all throughout. Plenty of undulation and slope on every one of them. Each green has to flags to differentiate the nines. Course management is of the utmost importance here and you need to give yourself the proper club and angle into the greens. This course may not be for everyone, but it is definitely worth playing to find out!

Golf Advisor

A thrill

Just wrapped up a 45-hole day at Sweetens on our Golf Advisor Getaway. We rented the course for the day and had it to ourselves. I walked 18, then we played the “Illuminati routing” and then went back out for 18 more in a cart. Obviously I wouldn’t have spent 10 hours here if I didn’t find the place fascinating. Not everyone in our group loved the greens. They are definitely severe, especially where some of the pins were (they set up two pins per green so you could play 18 different holes easily). I can see how higher handicaps could have a hard time. I found them to be mesmerizing. The feeling you get when you hit a crisp chip or deft approach stiff is very Pinehurst or St Andrews-esque. Rewarding but also treacherous. Prepare for some humbling moments. The course off the tee is pretty forgiving and the short par 4s are wildly fun. The 7th green takes no prisoners.

Fresh off their recent investment, Sweetens has more maintenance staff and new equipment. A new putting course is grassed and should be done soon. I’m excited to continue to watch this place evolve, and hope it gives tired nine-holers around the country the inspiration to try something bold. It’s better to make a statement than to be bland.

The little course that could

Strictly golf to be played at Sweetens. No clubhouse or cart girls needed. Just wonderful golf on a gorgeous layout that could be played ten times in a row and all be different. If you haven’t played this golf gem then you’re missing out on one of the best golf experiences of your playing career .

Pure

The fairways are wide and the greens are very undulating. There are waste areas and bunkers everywhere. If you want to play a links style course, go here! I will definitely be going back here in the near future! They don’t make very many golf courses like this anymore.

Get some carts Sweetens Cove

Drove 2 hrs to play the course. Check in for our tee time where we’re told, very rudely I might add, that “there are no more carts”. Guy preceded to just stare at us with no explanation & doesn’t care how long we drove to get there. Hey Sweetens Cove: you’re the “#1 course in the state”. Get some carts. And a decent staff. It’s 95 degrees outside

Will not be back.

The most fun I’ve had on a course in years!

The statement “golf the way it was meant to be played” was written for this place. It is an amazing layout, an easy walk and soooooo much fun to play!

Mississippi Advisor

As Good as Advertised

I wish I could play this course every day. It reminded me a lot of Pinehurst No. 2, but more fun.

Featured
Florida Advisor

Confessions of a Cove Dweller

Sweetens Cove is my favorite golf course in America. I should mention that because if you have never been before the initial arrival can be quite jarring or inspiring depending on your perspective. I believe that Sweetens Cove is a Rorschach test for golfers in that you can see whatever you want to see in the place.

If you believe golf should be about a great course design, endless strategic value, and places that inspire the deepest possible sense of camaraderie than Sweetens Cove is a wonderland. If you like big fancy clubhouses, expensive grill menus, and high priced pro shops then this may not suite your tastes. Sweetens Cove is home to one of the best designed American golf courses built in the past decade, but there are virtually no amenities to speak of. The "clubhouse" is a shed on the hill of the parking lot and the only bathroom is a port-o-john. Some carts are available, but walking is the best way to get around. There is no bar, no food, and no fuss. If you go to Sweetens Cove, you go for the golf and the golf there is incredible.

The course was built as a redesign from and existing course that was largely a featureless local hangout, but the design-build firm of Rob Collins and Tad King have transformed the property into what has become a cult phenomenon for golf architecture geeks. Sweetens Cove sits in the beautiful Sequatchie Valley and is surrounded by the charm of the Blue Ridge mountains. The golf course compliments its natural surroundings in a most impressive fashion and the details of the design leave players feeling like they are walking through a work of art.

Sweetens Cove has been featured in many major publications and has even hosted large gatherings of golf influencers on multiple occasions. Those who frequent the austere accommodations of the course are proud to call themselves the Sweetens Cove Illuminati. I like to think of myself as a Cove dweller who can't get enough of the place. It takes me six hours in the car to get to South Pittsburg, Tennessee and every time I make the drive I do it with a smile and car full of supplies to make the trip a memorable one. If you want to find the most uniquely satisfying golf experience in America, you need to pack your things and get to Sweetens Cove.

If you go, be sure to stop in the shed and ask for Rob, Patrick, or Nash and ask them to tell you a little bit about the place. Rob told me once that his favorite quality of the course was that it has soul. I agree with him and for my money there is no other course in the country that offers such a rewarding experience every time I go. I am a Cove dweller for life and I can't wait to get back to that little valley in the Tennessee mountains for another walk around my favorite course.

Bryant, Alabama