Waikoloa Golf Club - Beach Course

Year Built 1981
Architect Robert Trent Jones, Jr. (1981)

Carts Yes - included in green fee

Fun, Well kept Course, great people

First, Angie, the marshal/concierge got us off to a great start. Our cooler was set up with ice and four water bottles. We got tees and were allowed to hit balls for free at the driving range until or tee time. Angie offered to let us start early but we decided to hit some balls. This course has wide fairways. There is water but easy to avoid. There are a lot of sand bunkers and volcanic rock but again, easy to avoid due to wide fairways. The pace of play was great on Friday. Finished the front nine with a twosome in 80 minutes. My only minor complaint about the course was the condition of the sand bunkers. All bunkers in Hawaii are more like small gravel. I don’t get it. You’re in Hawaii. There should be plenty of sand. Also the restaurant/bar on hole 5 although convenient had rude staff. Not sure if they are affiliated with the course.

Hawaiian Wonder!

We loved this corse! The stagg was super friendly and the course was in outstanding condition. I loved how water and lava rock were used it the course layout to challenge our game. Our only bummer for the day was the extremely slow group in front of us from hole 4 - 11. That's just golf at times. I strongly recommend giving Waikoloa Beach Course a try to anyone who has not played here yet!

overpriced;underperformed

NOT comparable to Doral courses, Edgewood Tahoe. Kapalua Plantation etc. but comparably priced. LOTS of dead grass in fairways and rough. Greens OK. Called "Beach Course" but only ONE hole approaches shoreline . Beautiful views..... of condos surrounding almost every fairway. Cup of coffee... drum roll please... $7. Rented clubs that arrived in my cart dirty. Female clubhouse staff NOT FRIENDLY. NO Marshall or starter to regulate groups creating ugly wait times. played this course because I never played it before. never again. been there...done that. Not alot of "Aloha" at this course.

Golf Now is a Rip Off

I booked a tee time at Waikoloa through golf now and ended up paying 3x what I would have if I had just booked through the hotel. .Potential bookers, be warned.

What beach....?

One out of 18 holes makes this a beach course.....?!?..... Nice layout, but not in good shape and only #7 on the water......disappointing overall....won’t go back.

Beautiful course!

Not alot of room for err on this course! Lots of lava rock, great views along the way!

Great Course/ Unpleasant Desk Attendant

Showed up to course at 8:10 for a 8:20 tee time for 9 holes. We were second in line and waited for attendant to finish with person in front of us. Male at desk greeted us with the statement 'You're late'. Actually we weren't, but he determined that we didn't have enough time to start and stated 'you have missed your tee time"--it was now 8:18 and he said you can play later or you can forfeit your deposit. We asked what the next time was and were told that 9:05 would be the next time. We were good with that. The weather was perfect, the course was beautiful, the day was awesome after I left the club house and dealt with your UNFRIENDLY desk attendant. My suggestion is that you change your desk attendant (large, unhappy male) and then you will receive 5 stars across the board.

Nice course. Average experience.

No cart person while round. No GPS despite the Hawaiian tourist Troon rates. People were not that friendly. No one with a towel at the end, no one says hello. I arrived hour before tee time. Closed. 30m before tee time they opened and rushed us on to our tee box. No time for driving range. I bought two rounds which included free driving range. I asked the desk if I could use the driving range later. The guy said sorry, that’s the managers call. I asked where’s the manager? He said “I’m the manager”! ??? He said you can go mow but not later cause I may not be here. “Can I just tell whoever is on duty, that you said it was OK given you’re the manager” ?
He said “no man don’t be dropping names, that’s not cool”. What the heck??? He’s not reflective of all the folks. The starter was nice and there was a nice lady who first checked me in. After that I was very aware this wasn’t like the high class courses like in Kapalua and other Troon courses. But the course is well maintained and pace was good.

Disappointing course

For how much we paid and for the ratings, I was very disappointed. The practice range was mostly sand, what grass remained was in loose shreds. The targets on the range were mostly out of reach for me (17 handicap). No practice putting green. Pace of play was terrible. We registered as a twosome and requested to be paired up, but 3 Asian twosomes left in front of us - refusing to be paired. There was no GPS on the carts and the flags were not equipped with the reflectors to read with a rangefinder, so it was almost impossible in the wind to get accurate yardage to the pin. Seriously disappointed! Won’t go back.

An excellent links-style course

I played the King’s Course at Waikoloa Beach Resort today. It’s an excellent links-style course, with fast fairways, so a low draw just runs and runs. Lots of wind today, which made it even more interesting.

Beautiful Golf Course

Great views of the ocean, lava fields, wildlife, etc. Course is nice and challenging but a little pricey for my tastes.

No beach to be sighted

I believe this should not be considered a Beach coarse, there is the feature hole (7) that gets close the the water. but that is the only hole, the rest are around condo's hotel rooms and lava rock which is nice. i believe this course should be renamed as the Waikoloa lava course with a tickle. the greens were average, the fairways were OK nothing special I believe that if course was around the $70-$80 range with a cart that would be fair.

Kohala Coast, Hawaii