2.4
2.4
2.3
2.2

Established in 1908, the Great Southern Golf Club overlooks the Gulf of Mexico as the oldest golf course in Mississippi. That helps explain the course's peculiar greens.

In 1999, Great Southern Golf Club was renovated by Brian Curly, who took pains to keep Ross' square greens and still satisfy the USGA's specifications. The greens are minuscule, undulating and hump-backed with deep swales in the middle of some and wild, unexpected slopes in others.

No. 6, for example, is a 250-yard par-4, which appears easy enough, but there are big oaks on both sides of the fairways, a small, elevated green that slopes sharply left to right and bunkers left, front and behind.

Great Southern Golf Club measures 6,278 yards from the longest tees and has a slope rating of 117 and a 69.7 USGA rating. The course features three sets of tees for different skill levels.

Great Southern Golf Club

Year Built 1908
Greens Bermuda Grass/Rye grass
Architect Donald Ross (1922) Brian Curley (1999)

Carts Yes - included in green fee

Meeting Facilities

Haha umm... great views of the Gulf of Mexico! haha...

So i'm from Michigan and I come down to Mississippi once a year. I usually play Gulfport, Biloxi, NoLa kind of courses.

So when I found the GREAT SOUTHERN GOLF COURSE...you had me at "Great Southern" and it was on the Gulf of Mexico...whattttt!!! and it was only $30?1?!

Man...I thought I had the deal of the century... Until we arrived. So the clubhouse could be haunted...the grass seemed like it could break in half if you walked fast on them... while putting, a freight train cruised by for about three minutes, hahaha!

I mean, for the view...location...value... it was splendid but DO NOT THINK this is THE Great Southern GC because it's not. It's THE alright Southern GC. hahah Go play it !

The WORST course I have ever played

I don’t even know where to begin so I guess we will start with the clubhouse, if you can call it that. They had a bathroom. That’s about the only thing positive I can say about it. It took at least 10 minutes for the guy to take our money, and if you want any food or beer, you’re out of luck. He told us there would be a cart girl on the course, but we never saw a cart OR a girl. Carts were in decent shape, so let’s just skip straight to course conditions. I’m convinced this course doesn’t own a mower of any kind. The tee boxes were uneven and I didn’t have a tee long enough to get my ball above the grass. The fairways were okay to be fairways, but the greens.....oh the greens. You better just keep your putter in the bag and plan on putting with a driver. These greens were rolling a -17. Hairy, full of weeds and goose scat and sand. It’s like they bought a farm and just put pins and yard markers all over the place and called it a day. This is definitely a cargo shorts and affliction tshirt kind of place and did I mention it was $52???? We played 8 holes and left......sober. If I could award this place no stars I would. Do not, I repeat, DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AND $52 ON THIS PLACE. Ball washers are nice though....

Closed

Ok.. so we had a tee time for 1240. We showed up at 1130. The place was CLOSED. There wasn’t a soul around They never notified us. I had to call Gold Now. It was quite a to do to get our money refunded. Even though the course was closed, it wasn’t easy getting our refund. I tried to explain what happened. The gal didn’t quite under what I was saying. Anyhow, I don’t know why someone didn’t notify us and give us our money back ... no questions asked

Worth it.

Nice place if you are beginning golf but there are a couple challenging holes

Dog track

I gave this course a 2 only because they did have 18 holes. The same cannot be said for the tee boxes which don’t exist. They just stick markers in the ground anywhere. Sorry excuse for a golf course.

Worst ever

This is the worst course I have ever played. Terrible. Greens suck. I don’t exaggerate. Brutal.

Beautiful View to end

Coming up the 18th and having the view if the gulf almost makes you forget about the rest of the course. The greens and fairways are sparse and have multiple types of grasses.

Disappointing

It’s disappointing that this location is in such rough condition. It was recently hit by a hurricane when I played so there were a lot of trees down, however, the greens and tee boxes were rough regardless of the hurricane.

Mosquito heaven

Course wasn’t bad. Mosquitos were awful. We would play again only in the cooler months after the mosquitoes die off.

Fun short course

Fun course very short holes
Fairways descent tee boxes and greens very poor condition. I stopped putting 8 holes in. No long holes so you could really take control with irons.

Older Course

This course says it is the oldest in MS and I wanted to play since it was close to beach where I was staying. The course was not in the best condition, but I enjoyed my round as it was not busy and I could take my time teaching my nephew the game. The staff was great and the value for the money on weekend was great. Don't play here if you are looking for a perfectly manicured course because this is not it.

Gulfport, Mississippi
Pass Christian, Mississippi
Vancleave, Mississippi
Saucier, Mississippi
Gautier, Mississippi
GULFPORT, MS | Enjoy 2 nights’ accommodations at Island View Casino Resort and 3 rounds of golf at Windance Golf & Country Club.
Peninsula Golf and Racquet Club
Gulf Shores Golf Around Package
Enjoy 2 nights' accommodations at Staybridge Suites Gulf Shores and 2 rounds of golf at Peninsula Golf and Racquet Club & Craft Farms Golf Resort (either Cypress Bend or Cotton Creek Course).
Peninsula Golf and Racquet Club
Best of Gulf Shores Golf Package
Enjoy 4 nights' accommodations at Staybridge Suites Gulf Shores and 4 rounds of golf at Peninsula Golf and Racquet Club, Craft Farms Golf Resort Cypress Bend & Cotton Creek Courses.
GULF SHORES, AL | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Staybridge Suites Gulf Shores and 3 rounds of golf at Peninsula Golf and Racquet Club & Craft Farms Golf Resort (Cypress Bend or Cotton Creek Course).
GULF SHORES, AL | Enjoy 4 nights' accommodations at Staybridge Suites Gulf Shores and 4 rounds of golf at Peninsula Golf and Racquet Club & Craft Farms Golf Resort (Cypress Bend & Cotton Creek Courses).