Opened in 1925, Discovery Bay Golf Club, formerly known as Chevy Chase Port Townsend Golf Course, has the distinction of being the oldest public golf course in Washington. Besides its long history, it has also garnered acclaim as one of the best golf courses on the Olympic Peninsula. Situated on the shores of Discovery Bay, the layout enjoys panoramic mountain views spanning the Olympic and Cascade mountain ranges. There is more to the course than scenery though. The classic design is challenging enough to appeal to low handicappers while still being accessible for beginners. The course's back nine is more challenging than the front, featuring challenging elevation changes and some tricky lies. Be sure to bring your camera for the breathtaking view on Discovery Bay Golf Club's 10th tee.

Discovery Bay Golf Club

Year Built 1925
Architect Michael Asmundson

Carts Yes - Subject to availability

Great walk in the woods

This is my favorite course in the area. It’s well-maintained and never too crowded. I’ve learned to use less than driver on the narrower fairways because you really are in the woods (especially the back nine) and balls that go out of bounds are usually gone for good. The carts that are available for rent are relatively new, and the ride around this hilly, winding course is entertaining in and of itself. I used to have a hamburger or a wrap between nines, but now with COVID-19, the amenities are limited to a restroom.

A (golf) tale of two courses

Besides the pleasant and professional pro shop clerk, the well maintained golf course and a well stocked pro shop, my round today at Discovery Bay was like playing two entirely different “nines”. You may like one better than the other, or as I ‘discovered’, the contrast was really fun. The front nine is open and fairly typical in design, with doglegs, sand traps and some water to respect. The back nine consists of carved, narrow fairways in the woods. Hitting your drive straight will help you survive. Don’t miss out on this gem when golfing in the Port Townsend area.

outstanding greens

fast with lots of undulation....roll really nice. challenging for sure.

Forget it

Unbelievably slow. No marshals and no "adults" visible. Nice course but unless you have 6 to 8 hours of free time available you will want to find other options. The course is full of dogs and kids and other people just walking with. I guess a great place for beginners but if you are a serious golfer don't play here.

Nice course!

Discovery Bay is rarely overly busy, the layout is challenging yet fair, the staff very friendly and helpful. Greens are quick but not overly so, and smooth. I really like playing here!

Fun course

Had a great time. Course well maintained, friendly staff and excellent pace.

Customer Service Nightmare

Let me preface this review by saying that I'm a firm believer in the fact that sometimes you just get what you pay for. While I'll splurge on an occasional round, I'm generally someone who tries to golf on a budget--and rarely find myself spending more than $30-40/round.

I had never played at this course before and decided to read reviews and course descriptions on the GolfNow app. According to GolfNow's description, the fee for golf included a cart. When I saw a $10 hot deal I couldn't resist--even though I knew it would be a gold morning round.

I showed up and was disappointed to learn that there was a 1.5 hour frost delay. That's life--and winter. At some point during my muttering around I inquired about checking in for my round. I was asked if I was walking or riding. I told him I'd ride because the website said it was included. He told me it wasn't. I showed him where on the GolfNow app it explained that a cart was included for rounds played at this course. He seemed genuinely surprised, but ultimately told me I'd have to take this up with GolfNow. I threw up my hands and let him know I'd be grabbing my push cart--all the way questioning the customer service element of this conversation. He then offered me some coffee or hot chocolate while I wait for the frost delay. I thought this might have been a redeeming olive branch--until he stopped me at the turn and told me he had forgotten to get me for the drink ($1).

I suppose this could be seen from different perspectives. Perhaps every penny counts when you're only getting a few golfers a day during a colder/wetter time of the season. I'd understand if I was a jerk trying to take advantage of the system, but I don't think I was. If anything, I felt like a cart would have been a fair value against the service I provided to them (pointing out the discrepancy on the GolfNow website). Unfortunately, it wasn't seen that way.

Given the frost delay--and the walking--I only had time to play about 12 holes. Front 9 was pretty wet and muddy--and flat. My brief experience on the back 9 seemed to show a big difference in course design (I understand the nines were designed about 70 years apart). Back nine reminded me more of a mountain course with better greens and fairways. It would've been nice to play the rest, but my hall pass had expired.

Honestly, I've played over 100 difference courses--mostly in the NW. Great courses and crappy courses. Expensive courses and cheap. However, I've never left a course feeling the way I did after the service debacle at this place. Just sad.

Dog Friendly

What’s better than golfing with your dog? Maybe a view and a good deal on green fees? This is a great place to play, for you and your furry friend.

BEST HIDDEN JEM this side of the Puget sound.

1st golf course ever made in Washington state. Great history, staff, greens keepers, views, putting greens and o yeah.... DOGS ARE allowed! Every time we go there is wildlife present, from deer to the occasional coyote and always hawks and birds. The fly overs from public air craft on the back 9 makes for a unique setting coupled with views of the sound. Even though we are an hour away from where we live we would proudly claim this as OUR home course!

Well Done to Discovery Bay Golf Course

The greens keeper and staff of Discovery Bay deserve a sincere WELL DONE for an outstanding job they are doing bringing this 1920’s vintage course up to higher standards!

My wife and I played DB yesterday and we were SO IMPRESSED with the OUTSTANDING quality of the greens and fairways that we returned for another round today. It is absolutely apparent and nothing short of impressive the amount of hard work, dedication and care going onto the maintenance of this course over the past few years but especially this year.

I have been playing DB in my course rotation for 20 years, going back to the days of teeing off on #2 from the tree fort tee box (you can still see it from the 1st green). It is a charming, quaint track that is fun to play and offers challenge to golf friends, family, new golfers and experienced ones alike.

Admittedly, the course has gone through its ups and downs over the years. But BY FAR DB IS IN THE BEST PLAYABILITY SHAPE NOW THAN I HAVE EXPERIENCED IN 20 YEARS!

Again, Kudos to the staff and Pro Jeff who are making great strides bringing DB course back to standards especially greens, fairways, drainage and irrigation.

Living in Kitsap I regularly play many of the peninsula courses from Sequim to North Tacoma in addition to golf trips out of state. DB greens this weekend played as good or in many cases BETTER than any other peninsula competitor course hands down.

Also, special thanks to DB staff who now provide many tee box choices at DB. I am happy to see many of these being used by more and more golfers which allow fun and success for golfers of varied skill levels.

Sorry, about the gushing above but it is well deserved and DB efforts should be recognized. DB has a place in the peninsula golfing community especially as it continues to blossom. DB provides the perfect opportunity for young, old, experienced and new golfers to learn or more importantly to just enjoy the game in a natural, low golf pressure setting.

shame on the architect

Shame on the architect for buying land and building cart golf. The back 9 is relatively new and built on extreme land that is not conducive to walk. Shame on the architect for teaching the good people of Port Townsend that golfing should be done in carts.

Shame on the architect for modifying master A. V. Macan's design of the front nine. Asmundson is not nearly as capable an architect as Macan.

Shame on the groundskeeping staff for overwatering part of the course. I actually overheard one member of the staff chewing out another for overwatering on the back nine, and when I got there he was right. Given that this course is in a relatively cool climate near the sea, there should be no excuse for overwatering.

If I return to this course, I will limit my play to the front nine, because it is a nice walk, whereas the back nine is a real pain without a cart.

Nice track

Discovery Bay GC is in very good condition with nicely manicured greens and fairways. Recommend a riding cart, especially for the back nine which has some significant steepness.
Enjoyed the course and scenery and we will play it again!

Great place to play!

Discovery Bay is fun and challenging. The course is in great condition. The greens are true and the ball lands softly. The traps are well trimmed and the sand is solid, yet allows the club to slide through.
My only knock on the course are the cart paths.They are gravel and could use some smoothing. Going from 12 to 13 is a steep hill. The path is rough and it is nearly impossible to keep from sliding down the hill.
I recommend you play Discovery Bay. It’s well worth the money.

Fun Well Maintained Course

The Discovery Bay Golf Course is an entertaining well maintained golf course in a beautiful natural setting. The fairways and the greens were in excellent shape. Enjoyed playing this course and will do it again.

Hidden Gem on the Peninsula...

Great round. Snagged a "Hot Deal" solo round booking a day before in my email inbox. $14 for 18 holes walking... forget booking this course walking unless you play the original front 9. It would annihilate a marathon runner humping the back 9. Added the cart for 16 so ended up being a great value considering the 11:30 tee time. The course is in fantastic condition at the moment, best I have ever seen it. It played very well, greens were quite slick. There was literally no pressure, nobody 3 holes ahead or behind me. This allowed for a relaxing round.

Great time

We had a great time. The course is in great condition.

Port Townsend, Washington