Style Desert

The first Tom Weisskopf signature course in Mexico is the Cabo del Sol Desert Course. This course opened its doors in 2001, promising a target-style golf experience with sloping fairways and plenty of bunkers that will appeal to golfers of all skill levels.

This course’s desert setting makes it unique among local courses. According to Weisskopf, “The natural beauty of the desert, mountain and ocean provides and ideal setting and some of the best terrain for golf anywhere in the world. It’s Cabo’s newest challenge and one of the most scenic courses in the world.”

If you are looking for a course with something for everyone, with a bit of a different flavor than other local courses, the Cabo del Sol Desert Course is a great option.

Cabo del Sol - Desert Course

Year Built 2001
Golf Season February - December
Architect Tom Weiskopf (2001) Phil Smith (2001)

Carts Yes - included in green fee

Credit Cards Accepted Mastercard, Visa, American Express
Dress code No swimwear, denim, cutoffs, halter or tank tops

Restaurant, Beverage Carts

Clubhouse, Banquet Facilities, Spa

Fitness

First class

First class everything at Cabo del Sol.
Special place.

Birmingham Advisor

The Desert course offers manageable par 5s, arduous par 3s, with a sprinkling of short par 4s. A bit of a yawning start gives way to some excellent holes, including a back nine that plays across the highway and back toward the Sea of Cortez, with brilliant holes that rank among the course’s best offerings.

Though none of the holes play out to the sea, you are constantly aware of your proximity to it, because it is the backdrop on most every hole, yielding exemplary views.

The practice range is staffed with an attendant that sees to your every need, including club washing, doling out bottles of water and sunscreen, and even providing an ashtray to accommodate one’s cigar.

The first tee and comfort stations offer a min-mart assortment of gum, mints, band aids and remedies for most every ailment from headaches to nausea.

I found this to be a great value when looking for a public offering. It’s greens fee pales on comparison to.other neighbors and the conditioning was much better than other courses that charge up to $65 more.

Excellent Course in Overpriced Cabo

Greens and course in excellent condition , though Bermuda grass in rough and around greens make shotmaking difficult( I don’t like Bermuda grass). Strangely enough, lakes on 17 and 18 have been drained for reasons unknown.

Amazing course and amazing staff!

Loved the Course and the staff are all amazing and friendly. I think there should be package deals for the course for residents. The course wasn’t busy at all. More people would play if it was a bit cheaper or had packages.

Fun Course

Played with brother on vacation. Friendly staff and course was in excellent shape. From a layout perspective, it was very accessible but few holes are "memorable". Perhaps 17. Only one snack bar at the turn but cart girl was around frequently.

Missouri Advisor

Classic Cabo

Classic Cabo course. Good design. Good condition. Good layout. Good ocean views. It's a little more expensive than it should be in my opinion but when in Rome I guess. The staff was very friendly and fantastic. I would definitely come back. Wish they would've kept the ocean course public though so I could play it as well. I have played 10-12 Cabo golf courses over the years and would rate it in the top 5.

Cabo del Sol Desert Course

Outstanding value. Course is well designed and impeccably maintained. Bermuda greens are the best in Cabo.

Beautiful course & ocean views

Excellent green condition, great layout course design with ponds, bunkers, waterfall. Beautiful ocean views on many holes.

Just do it!

Fantastic day on this extremely well manicured course. Everything for the practice facilities, staff, attendants and the great layout make this a must play.

My husband and I play 3 or 4 times a week. Great course and difficult but enjoyed the challenge. Good pace of play too. Coming back tomorrow!

The course is in great shape. Staff was friendly and accommodating. Great pro shop team. I was said that Teeoff didn't have discounted rates for this course. Walk-ins paid the same rate. Makes you wonder if I needed tee off since they charged me a fee for scheduling which means I paid more than everyone else!

Incentivized Review

Ocean Views from every hole

The experience starts off with a beautiful clubhouse with a great breakfast. Included with the green fees are unlimited range balls. An attendant cleans each club as you are finished with it Markers at 10-yard intervals are set in front such that you can practice your short game. The normal longer targets with accurate yardage are available from each station. Then the best part begins with an unbelievable maintained course. Hardly a leaf out of place. The greens are pure and fast but not ridiculous. At the turn, free tacos and sliders are made to order. Did I mention, beer is included?
After the round once again experience the clubhouse and the open-air bar. I have played most of the courses in Cabo and this is by far my favorite.

Golf Advisor

Cabo's most underrated course

I had no idea what was hidden in the hills and desert high above the Ocean course, one of my favorite courses in the world.
The Desert course is legit good. It's a true test of golf with playability and fun factor to match. Tom Weiskopf delivers again.
His signature drivable par 4 at no. 8 is perfect - 245 yards uphill from the gold tees. Better players need to be perfect with a fairway wood, while every other hacker can give it a go with a driver and hope to get lucky.
I could go on about the best holes ... the downhill par-4 fourth and intimidating, watery par-3 fifth, etc. There are so many that I finished the day with a bad triple bogey on the last and still left with a big smile on my face.

Texas Advisor

More than a second fiddle to Ocean

I may have known all about the Ocean Course at Cabo Del Sol. But admittedly, I didn't really know what to expect when I set up a round on the Desert Course. Little did I know I'd be in for a treat and had one of my favorite rounds of the year.

I had a taxi to the airport scheduled at 10 am so I was first off at 7. A couple days earlier, I had a 7 am tee time on the Ocean and the club's shuttle took over 30 minutes to get me, so this time I just walked up the 8th and 9th holes to the clubhouse from my hotel room at the Sheraton Grand in less than ten minutes.

I was paired with two members who also liked to play fast, and we zipped around in 2:25 and had a lot of fun on a forgiving layout but one with a lot of hole variety.

Tom Weiskopf knows how to build desert golf courses like no other, and there were many standout holes. Also, in typical Weiskopf fashion, there were two short par 4s (both on the front). It's well off the ocean, but plays up into the mountainside and has great ocean views from afar. Some of the better holes play downhill towards the water for a great backdrop.

Conditions and amenities are similarly excellent to the Ocean Course, and you can play it for over $100 less. ($255 peak season).

I've only played two courses in Cabo, and both were at Cabo Del Sol, but couldn't have been more impressed with both courses. I'm curious what I'm missing at places like Palmilla or Diamante.

British Columbia Advisor

Just as amazing!

As most know, you can't really go wrong in Cabo for golf. The desert course is no different. I prefer the Ocean course but not by much.

Challenging, great shape, and will return when I'm in the area.

Make sure you check this course out when your in the area, its' a must.

Excellent weather

Very good and better value than ocean course

Hurricane in September did a lot of damage. This course h ad little signs of that. It's half the price of their other. Ocean. Greens very good. Would go back

Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur
Cabo San Lucas, Baja California Sur
Cabo San Lucas, Baja California
Los Cabos, Baja California
Los Cabos, Baja California
Cabo San Lucas, Los Cabos
San Jose del Cabo, Baja California
LOS CABOS, MX | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at One & Only Palmilla and 1 round of golf at Palmilla Golf Club.