Style Traditional/Parkland

Located in the Great Northern Catskills, Thunderhart Golf Course at Sunny Hill is settled within the Catskill basin. The course offers both scenic views and a challenging design. The front nine is a traditional layout with some holes that long hitters will enjoy. There are three that measure over 500 yards. On the slightly tougher, parkland-style back nine each hole was carefully carved from the mature forests that sprinkle the rolling hills. Eleven ponds come into play throughout and the bunkering is minimal, but memorable. Though there are only 15 of them, they are strategically placed to provide a challenging test. In addition to the golf course, there is also a large 250-yard driving range available. Thunderhart is part of Sunny Hill Resort, which offers another 18-hole championship golf course that has a more resort-style feel.

Thunderhart Golf Course

Year Built 1969
Architect Francis Duane (1969)

Carts Yes - included in green fee

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, Mastercard
Dress code Proper golf attire required.

Clubhouse, Lounge

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in New York (2019 #16)

Great views

in the mountains and a great view of the Catskills,First 9 is hilly with some water and the back 9 is more level with doglegs and a little more water.There is a lot of woods.
if you stayed in the fairway and rough you could find your ball.All the leaves was out of the playing area.Great place to play.

Our return to Thunderhart

My wife and I had played Thunderhart before but never their sister course Sunny Hill. This time we stayed over and played them both. The people you deal with are the best and always willing to do anything to help. It is a great value and both courses have excellent layouts with very interesting holes. Thunderhart is the true championship course while Sunny Hill is shorter with more par threes and very friendly to beginners while still challenging the better golfers. We had so much fun we are planning a trip next year with several couples. Can't wait

Do not book on GolfNow

Made a reservation through GolfNow. Paid $20 for the reservation, with the remainder to be paid at the course. Drove three hours from Long Island to the course, only to be told that there was an outing and they were not honoring reservations. Guy specifically said that they don't communicate with GolfNow and the app never seems to know whether they actually have the tee times they advertise.

Very rustic vourse

Very dry. No fairway. All grass like rough. Greens are slow
Pace was slow.
Nice views.

Disappointing

The tee boxes and fairways were very hard and felt like playing on cement. The grass was largely brown and dead. Not a well taken care of course. Was excited to play on vacation since the reviews were so good.

Fathers Day Finesse

My husband and I had an exceptional time golfing on Sunday of Father’s Day weekend. Staff is friendly . Course if beautiful!! The greens are spongy and well taken care of. Excellent relaxing atmosphere. Highly recommend!!

Incentivized Review

Best value golf in the Catskills

I lucked out and moved near Thunderhart Golf Course, part of the Sunnyhill Resort. The course has a great layout: front has a few narrow fairways but not too many hazards; the back nine is flatter but has more water to avoid. Members there are all friendly, and the staff is superb. Thunderhart is VERY popular with Stay and Play guests many from overseas.

Charming layout

First time play, and it was cold and breezy, but we had a wonderful time playing your scenic and charming course. Thanks!

Oklahoma Advisor

Off the beaten path

Siri had a little hiccup on this one, but we did find it after awhile.
it was a tale of different 9's as the back 9 was flat but the front was much better with the rolling hills and elevation changes.
They had us starting off the back due to a tourney, and that was ok...
But, at a previous stop on the vacation, a 4 group let the twosome ahead of us go through, but not us...and we sat and wait on the last 6 holes on the back 9... needless to say they were not the best players and it did provide some comic relief...luckily, they stopped after 9, so we moved to the front 9 nine and had clear sailing and enjoyed this side much more.

Best course in the area!

I’ve played many courses in the area but I always keep coming back to Thunderhart. It’s the perfect mixture of challenging par 3’s, dog legs, hazards and nice long greens to challenge intermediate and amateur players. It’s also one of the best values I’ve found on this app and I’ll continue going back to this amazingly well kept course and all of the challenging holes that are there.

You'll love Thunderhart

My wife and I went away for a weekend in The Catskills. Stayed at Thunderhart and played golf at the Thundehart CC. Loved the course and the friendliness of all the people was incredible. Sent us off the back since it was open and there were a few groups on the first tee. The course was fair but had some very interesting holes. Was looking forward to a second shot at it in Sunday but got rained out. Be ready for some tricky putting greens.

Good course for the $

The course could use some improvement. There was very little drinking water, which would be been appreciated on a hot day. Many of the fairways needed mowing. All in all, for what we paid, I'd play again, though.

Very poor conditions

We played this course 3 years ago and it was in average shape. The conditions we experienced today were the worst any of us had ever played in. Fairways were either lacking in grass or saturated and soft. Carts have destroyed many areas where there is grass. Mud coated most every area frIom tee green. One of our carts needed to be pushed repeatedly. The greens were recently aerated but appear to be in reasonable shape. We weren't told of the aeration or conditions and were charged $31 for 9 holes which was absolutely ridiculous given the conditions. Even absent the rain the overall conditions wouldn't warrant half of that amount.

Beutiful and we'll maintained, the tees are in great shape. The greens are wide and fairly level. I absolutely loved this course. i can't wait to.get back.

This course is challenging

The greens and fairways were in greeaty shape. The course is short but, very challenging eith different shots not just driver then a wedge. I am going back soon.

Excellent weather

Terrible Memorial Day Weekend

I have played this course many times over the last ten years, and I have never had problems. However, Memorial day weekend was a disaster. I showed up and they threatened not to honour my online tee time, but then he told me "I was lucky and could get me out". The pace of play was a disaster. There were many open holes but huge bottle necks, probably because they sent out a group of 5 and a group of 6. I have never seen more than a foursome in my life, nevermind a holiday weekend. There were no rangers, so the terrible pace of play continued through the front 9.

Great time

The course was in very good condition and considering we played in the fall with plentyofleaves down, the fairways were cleared and mowed. We really enjoyed ourselves and will return.

Greenville, New York