A view over the water from Rancho Del Rey Golf Club

Rancho Del Rey Golf Club

Year Built 1963
Architect Bob E. Baldock

Fivesomes Allowed Yes, during weekdays

Full price for bad greens.

Greens were heavily sanded and punched. This was not mentioned on the golf now website when I booked the rounds. We paid full price for a less than advertised experience. Poor job by golf now and the golf course.

An even mix of good and not so good …

Had played here a few times about 15 years ago in charity tournaments when we lived nearby, but didn’t really remember the course. It’s an older track, I'm guessing it was built in the era when the military air base at Castle ruled. There were obviously many regulars playing here, so good for them for supporting their local 18. The course was showing its age though, as we experienced both good and not so good things during our round.
The Good : We got a good price with a cart, using hot deals. Pro shop staff was friendly. A mostly fair (more about this later) design Old-school layout, with mature trees, clear sight lines. Busy, but not crowded, good pace of play. Greens mostly ran true.
Not so good : Cart worked ok, but was older & had a torn drivers seat. Virtually all greens had bare spots & diseased patches. Tee boxes were inconsistent in quality & amount of grass. Fairway grass was also not always consistent in quality and/or amount of grass, also with various bare spots. Some yardage markers seemed questionable - I forgot to charge my yardage gizmo, but know how far I hit my irons, and was off way more than usual (+ & - ) on some holes. Bunker sand was much better on the back nine (actual sand), worse on the front side (more like dirt than sand). Restaurant closed, couldn’t get drinks on what was a normal hot summer day in the valley. Ball washers shut down (some courses have opened them back up, so not a complaint, just an observation.) Two of the first three holes are par 5’s ( with a water hazard right in front of the 1st green) - never seen two par 5’s right off the bat (maybe there’s a reason why !).

One big advantage for the course is they no longer have any nearby competition, since Stevenson Ranch and Forebay went out of business - so unless you want to travel up or down Highway 99, this is your only public choice in the Merced area. I do appreciate they are available and nearby, and most likely won’t wait another 15 years before playing here again, but am ok for now with continuing with jumping in the car on 99 to have a more consistent golfing experience.

Good Deal & Track!

Course was in pretty good shape, the HOT weather has had an effect on greens, burnt spots, but was in pretty fair shape! greens putted very nicely & true!!!
Will continue to play this track!!!! Good challenger for us! Really like the layout, no gimme holes!

Commented on 08/13/2021

Thanks so much for your review. We're so glad you enjoyed your round at Rancho Del Rey Golf Club. That's what we like to hear! We hope to see you again soon!

Course conditions was good few greens were soaking wet due to over-watering in the morning and unplayable.
Wish the restaurant was open to grab a drink since it’s so HOT….

Good course

Good course, greens weren’t maintained that well. A lot of divots and dead grass on greens. Other than that the layout was nice

Commented on 08/17/2021

Thank you for visiting us at Rancho Del Rey Golf Club. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Commented on 08/13/2021

We would love to hear more about your positive experience on our course. Please contact us to share with us your favorite part of your experience and what we can do earn that last star! Thanks for golfing at Rancho Del Rey Golf Club!

All good Until the end

The course was a lot of fun and the people were too. It played well with only one spotty green where it seemed like no one had repaired their divots. Other than that the course was a lot of fun and right at my level.

The only hitch was a fivesome who we caught on 15 and got stuck behind who refused to let us play through. They would also park their carts in front of the green and not move until they discussed and recorded their scores. We reported them, though, so I trust the marshalls and rest of the staff will handle it appropriately.

Commented on 06/29/2021

We would love to hear more about your positive experience on our course. Please contact us to share with us your favorite part of your experience. Thanks for golfing at Rancho Del Rey Golf Club!

Pace of play

We had to wait on 6 holes because a group of 6 men teamed up to play together.

Commented on 06/16/2021

Thank you for leaving us a review. We are sorry to hear your experience was anything short of 5 stars, but we hope you will give us another try in the future. Thank you for choosing Rancho Del Rey Golf Club.

Very challenging, only a couple pushy golfers. Overall great time and experience.

Commented on 09/10/2021

We're glad you enjoyed the challenge Rancho Del Rey Golf Club has to offer!

Great layout. Greens and fairways need some tlc

Greens are molded and pock marked. Fairways spotty. A mower or roller is leaking oil cause you can see it around the greens But the layout is really cool. And the back tees offer a solid challenge. With a little tlc this course would be a solid 4. Currently 2.5-3

My Local course

I’ve been going to Rancho since High School, I consider it my home course. I started going at least once a week, I really enjoy it, I always see someone I know, and often meet new people there. Staff is very friendly and helpful. Great value for a full round.

Commented on 06/10/2021

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Rancho Del Rey Golf Club!

Slow is the word.

Didn't know they allow 5'somes and 6'somes. The 5 in the group ahead of us were 2 holes behind almost the entire round. Had to wait every shot on every hole.

Course Needs more Upkeep/Attention

I play this course often mostly due to location and price compared to other courses. Fairways and greens could use more attention as it’s not fun hitting a drive down the middle of the fairway and having your ball rest on a patch of dirt. Or hitting a nice approach shot only to arrive at the green to see that there are more dirt patches in your putting line. The course doesn’t seem to have as many carts as they used to so, unless your tee time is before 1030 or 11, you could be waiting for a cart. Also, multiple times I have had my cart die on me while still on the front 9 as it did again yesterday. Lastly, they need to start regulating the first tee box, especially on busy days. It’s literally first come first serve at the opening tee. I’ve been forced to wait in this line and tee off up to 20 minutes later than my tee time because they don’t call groups to the tee. So I’ve just started taking advantage of this and arriving extra early and teeing off 20 to 30 minutes before my actual tee time. Although this review is mostly negative, I will continue to play here because I’m as amateur as it gets and I just enjoy playing the game.

My home course

Been going here since high school, but now I try to go at least once a week. You cannot beat Rancho in respects to Value. Great course, some holes might need a bit better maintenance, but I adapt. Staff is very friendly and helpful, and not uncommon to meet someone new.

Commented on 06/10/2021

We value your loyalty to Rancho Del Rey Golf Club over the years! We look forward to seeing you back again soon.

Bad greens,

Needs improvement! Driving range is a apocalypse now scene. I missed putts from greens being bumpy, someone behind us hit balls at us twice and after telling the marshal the. First time he said if it happens again to tell. So after it happened the second time all he did was put them two holes in front of us. And no he never yelled four . Drive to Modesto if you want to golf or somewhere that’s better

Commented on 04/30/2021

Thank you for taking the time to review the course. We take single star feedback very seriously at our course. You are welcome to comment further or reach out to our team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing Rancho Del Rey Golf Club.

Very fun to play
The blue pestered a good challenge

Commented on 05/25/2021

We're glad you enjoyed the challenge Rancho Del Rey Golf Club has to offer, while still having a fun round of golf! We look forward to your next tee time with us.

Commented on 04/23/2021

We appreciate the review. You rated us 3-stars which means there is room to improve on your recent experience at Rancho Del Rey Golf Club. Let us know, in the comments, how and where you would like to see changes from the course. Thanks for the feedback!

Merced, California
Turlock, California
Chowchilla, California
Ceres, California
MONTEREY, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Embassy Suites by Hilton and 3 rounds of golf at Poppy Hills Golf Course, Black Horse Golf Course & Del Monte™ Golf Course.
MONTEREY, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa and 3 rounds of golf at The Links at Spanish Bay™, Bayonet Golf Course and Poppy Hills Golf Course.
MONTEREY, CA | Enjoy 2 nights’ accommodations at Quail Lodge & Golf Club and 2 rounds of golf at Carmel Valley Ranch and at Quail Lodge Golf Course.
FROM $1,037 (USD)
MONTEREY, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at The Lodge at Pebble Beach™ and 4 rounds of golf at Pebble Beach Golf Links™, Spyglass Hill™, Pasatiempo & Bayonet Golf Courses.
HALF MOON BAY, CA | Enjoy 2 nights' accommodations at The Ritz-Carlton Half Moon Bay and 2 rounds of golf at Half Moon Bay Golf Links.