Type Private

Formerly known as Somers Pointe Golf Club - West Hill

Somers National Golf Club

Year Built 1988
Architect Geoffrey Cornish (1988)

Dress code Shirts must have collars or mock turtlenecks and shorts must be of Bermuda length. Tank tops, t-shirts, jeans and other similar non-golf attire are not considered proper

Course under repair

Several holes are having their tee boxes redone, so we teed off from the fairway on some holes. For example, there was a 200 yard par 4 on the back nine. Also, the greens are in very poor shape. Should be nicer next spring, but right now if you can't get a discounted rate I would play elsewhere.

Greeted by a jerk

I’m blown away by how terrible this place has come become. An older man greeted me by telling me as soon as I pulled up with a cooler that it’s not permitted. I asked if a cart person would serve us then? I was told no. I had a sandwich and water in my cooler mind you. I was told to buy from refreshments at the clubhouse before I left for my round. (Never had an issue before and still buy from a cart person). I felt as if I was being challenged by this man before I even got in my cart. He was questioning everything after we bought balls from “his” clubhouse. This place is lucky to have people spend money here being that it’s subpar to other Westchester courses. Never again !!!!

Commented on 11/23/2020

I was a single player there and overheard the conversation,your foursome were the instigators from the get go because you couldn’t get your way- stay where you came from! Please!!!!!

Very Challenging but Fun Course

Do not recommend this course for beginners. While the course isn't particularly long, you need to be very accurate with mid-long irons in order to shoot respectable scores. However, this is a great course to practice iron accuracy and would be a good test for even the best of golfers.

The layout definitely suits single-digit handicappers and the fairways are extremely tight with OB coming into play on almost every hole. You will not enjoy playing here if you're having an off day and you'll likely go through 10-15 balls.

I was very surprised at how fast the fairways were which certainly made things a little easier as you could bank on getting an extra 15-20 yards with run. For this time of the year, it was certainly a pleasant surprise as to how hard the fairways were.

The greens were a bit of a nightmare. They were very quick but I felt there weren't true a lot of the time which was frustrating. They may have been aerated recently which might explain it but you could rarely trust the read/break. Getting putts slightly wrong (particularly downhill) resulted in fair-good putts rolling anywhere from 5-10 feet passed the hole.

You can rarely use driver, even on the par 5's which made things even more challenging as there are a couple of par 5's over 500 yards, so without driver, you're struggling to make the green inside three shots. This was one of my favorite parts of the course, as again, you need to be on your game and concentrating on accuracy as distance doesn't provide much assistance.

The pace of play was very poor which was a disappointment. We even had to call the starter after a few holes because the pace of play seemingly wasn't impressed upon people, which led to a lot of waiting around on the tee box.

I'd love to play this course during peak summer months to get a feel for real conditions and I would certainly recommend the course to have a practice round if you're getting ready for a tournament. But certainly not a course I'd recommend for beginners/if you want to have a fun round.

Interesting course with fun challenges.

Enjoyed the course and the amenities even if the pace of play was slow. The course presents a lot of interesting challenges like big dog legs and hilly terrain as well as dog legs on hilly terrain.

Challenging

Great layout tough design only needed my driver 2 times. Loved the course I will play it again

Very good, challenging golf course

While not overly long, it’s tight and narrow, so it’s very challenging.

Left after 13...

Let me preface this by stating that I am a 5 handicapper; so I can work my way around most courses. Unfortunately I do not consider this a golf course. It was more like an amusement track, because all we could do was laugh from being so hoodwinked. Every tee box was chopped up and all the greens had dirt patches. To make matters worst the layout was incredibly juvenile. They forced this course into a small residential area on the side of a mountain- if that makes any sense. With the exception of the par 3, every other hole was either doglegged left or right or blind shots. I could say more, but it not worth it. You get the point. On a positive note, The starter and young man who registered me was very friendly. I did not venture to patronize the on course amenities (for obvious reasons).

What a Rip Off

First and Last Time at “Somers National” I would NEVER recommend this course to anyone. For the price it’s a major RIP OFF.

After putting in the practice area I took the cart into the parking lot to grab some tees from my car. The cart turned off and made me reverse all the way back to the cart drop off area. All while the miserable old man at the check in berated me. Extremely rude and unprofessional. No carts are allowed in the parking lot. Seriously? What a joke.

The tee boxes are barren, the cart path is a disaster and all the greens have some sort of disease. Everyone said the greens are fast, but now I realize it’s just an excuse for the large patches of tightly rolled mud that litter the putting surfaces. The entire course is a Mess! The most enjoyable part of the day was the refreshments at the turn after the front 9.

Joel3054231
Commented on 10/01/2020

I should have read this before I played there. You are absolutely right. What a ridiculous course.

This course sucks

Other than $10 for 2 dogs and a beer, this course is really bad. the guy who checks you in is a horrible person and the course looks like it’s been maintained by 3 blind people. the greens are terrible and tee boxes resemble a less beautiful sahara desert. wouldn’t recommend, $65 is a rip off.

Fun but tired track

Challenging layout, but the greens and tee boxes are poor shape.

What happened and why

Pulled up everything looked great. We drove 60 miles to play here. Everything looked good online. The staff was friendly but no coolers in your cart. Not evan if you only had water. No hospitality cart. The tee boxes were bad not one or 2 every 1. Every green is a mound with no place to land your shot. Speaking of shot every green was shot as well. Almost every fairway is pitched and like hard pan. So no matter where you put the ball it just rolled off and into the woods. This could be a nice course and very hard. They told us they were doing work on it. That it had been let go by the previous owners. The GPS on the carts had more adds then information so you had to keep resetting it. The holes have been changed so you watch or app won't work either. For $75.00 this course was a mess. I can always find something good about a place to at least give it a second chance. NO WAY! NO HOW! I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND OR RETURN. SORRY GUYS. WOULDN'T EVEN PLAY FOR FREE. LET ALONE $75.00!!!!!!

Lincolndale, New York