The real Old Course experience: Waiting overnight for a St. Andrews walk-up tee time

Golf Channel's Will Gray details his experience trying to score a last-minute tee time to the Old Course in St. Andrews.

ST. ANDREWS, Scotland -- In my first trip to the Home of Golf, I learned one important lesson: when it comes to getting on the Old Course, flexibility and determination can be two of your strongest assets.

My recent trip to Scotland called for three days of work meetings, with the hope of squeezing in some golf in between. It was all new to me as I had never been to the country, so I was soaking it in and willing to play wherever we could. But staying at the Macdonald Rusacks Hotel that overlooks the 18th fairway, the goal was clear: tee it up on the hallowed grounds where golf was born.

For those who are unaware – as I was up until my arrival in St. Andrews – there are three ways for visitors to play the Old Course (that is, outside of a local membership or a golf package that usually comes with a considerable markup). The first option is to book your tee time months, if not a year, in advance. The second and more popular option is to enter what is called the Open Ballot. If you have a group of two or more and are intent on playing together, this option is for you.

Players are allowed to sign up their groups online or via phone two days prior to their desired day of play, with the results posted online in the afternoon. So at 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday the ballot results are released for Friday's play, and the entry process for Saturday tee times begins shortly thereafter and runs until 2 p.m. Thursday. The ballot is conducted six days per week, with the course closed to play every Sunday.

Our group struck out on the ballot, though I have been told that parties staying a few days (and with some tee time flexibility) often fare better. That left me with the third option of going it alone as a walk-up single.

When the ballot results are published, the entire tee sheet for the given day is made available both online and on a screen outside the starter shack near the first tee. Many people snag tee times as foursomes, but there are also plenty of two- and three-balls on the sheet, with the gaps easily and publicly identified. Those open spots are then filled the day of on a first-come, first-serve basis.

We arrived into town on a pleasant Monday afternoon, and around 4 p.m. I walked down to inquire about sneaking out for a late round, given that in midsummer the tee sheet extended to nearly 6 p.m. I was told I was out of luck – there were 16 people milling about the first tee in hopes of snagging one of five open spots left on the tee sheet. Becoming No. 17 in line likely wouldn't help my cause.

But I asked for more information to get a feel for the daily walk-up process. The employee in the pavilion told me that the first person in line had gotten there at 11:40 p.m. the previous night, with the shop opening at 6 a.m. – exactly 30 minutes prior to the day's first tee time. Basically an all-nighter. He also added that the earliest walk-up story he could recall was that once someone got in line for the next day as he was closing up the shop for that night, at 9:30 p.m.

So with that limited information in tow, I took a look at the next day's tee sheet. I had meetings to attend a few yards from the 18th green beginning at 11 a.m., but there were five slots open from 6:30-7:10 a.m., and the weather forecast called for rain all day. If I could snag an early slot – I especially had my eye on rounding out the threesome on the sheet at 6:30 – I figured I could have the best of both worlds.

Given that my body was already fighting jetlag and didn't know up from down, I decided to push my luck. I managed to get a couple hours of sleep, but a little before 1 a.m. I peeked out my hotel window and down to the pavilion area next to the first tee, which was lit but still vacant. Restless and running on adrenaline, I grabbed my clubs and set off down the Rusacks main stairs, walking a few hundred yards around the 18th green, R&A clubhouse and first tee. I set my bag down, took a seat on the nondescript bench outside the front door and at 1 a.m. I became the first person in line. Only five hours left until the shop would open.

It was cold and windy, especially for someone from Florida. But what ensued was one of the most spiritual experiences I have ever had on a golf course, as I stood and sat and paced a few yards from the tee box – at the Old Course – and there wasn't a soul around. Not one. The town had gone to sleep long ago, and I was left simply with my thoughts amid the buffeting winds and the sounds of waves crashing on the sea a short distance away.

For more than an hour, I had St. Andrews entirely to myself. And it was magical.

The view of the town at daybreak from the Old Course pavilion.

Eventually the novelty started to wear off and the chill began to sink in, but the Links Trust provides three small space heaters on sides of the pavilion that need to be activated only once every 30 minutes by pressing a button. Those offered some relief, and I was able to grab a quick nap while lying on the bench before the next person jumped out of his taxi at 2:15 a.m. He was from Beijing, and like me had made his first pilgrimage to St. Andrews. Player No. 3 rolled in around 3 a.m., and by 4 a.m. as the gloaming turned into early light and the rain arrived with vigor, we were eight deep in line.

Those first couple hours provided a great bonding experience, as each person showed up eager to earn their Old Course merit badge. Most were Americans, and somewhat to my surprise none of the seven people that followed me brought their own clubs, instead relying on the Callaway rental sets available in the shop for 35 pounds.

There was an airline pilot, and a guy who was in the midst of a 12-day cruise that had recently docked in Edinburgh. There was a retiree from California who shared stories of caddying in the 1977 PGA Championship at Pebble Beach. We swapped tales as the first tee time drew nearer and the excitement and possibilities grew.

The influx of people really kicked in around 4:30 a.m., and by the time they opened the pro shop at 6 a.m. there were at least 30 people in line. Almost all were Americans, save for player No. 2 from China and a couple of Aussies. I was a little nervous that sorting the line could be an issue given we were all huddled in random order under the small pavilion roof to escape the rain, but the honor system shined through. When it was time to line up as the doors were set to open, there was nary a quibble or question about who had arrived before whom.

Five hours after I first sat on the bench, I walked in and became the first name on the walk-up list for June 27. The employee asked to see a handicap verification (24 max for men and 36 for women; a quick glance at my Grint recap on my phone sufficed) and after discussing what time I had gotten in line, she asked what time I wanted to play. I told her, the sooner the better.

As expected, I snuck in the first tee time, which meant that after hours of milling about, the minutes once my tee time became official were frenzied. I tried to get a quick coffee and sandwich, then headed to the starter shack to gladly pay my 175 pounds (about $225) green fee and meet my group.

The shop attendant had explained that given the iffy weather she expected some tee time cancellations throughout the day, and sure enough the 6:30 a.m. threesome was a no-show. The Chinese player behind me wanted to play later in the morning, which meant that the day's first time consisted of Nos. 1, 3, 4 and 5 on the morning waiting list. From our perspective, it was a nice little bonus given the fact that we had just spent the last few hours getting to know each other (while trying to stay warm) instead of each latching onto an existing group.

At last, playing the Old Course

Gray tees off into the wind on the 18th tee.

At 6:25 a.m. I grabbed my bag, headed to the first tee and met my caddie. The caddie fee is another 50 pounds plus a suggested tip of at least 20 pounds and it's money well spent. In addition to lugging the bag and telling great stories, the caddies did the little things like told me which gorse bush to aim for (or avoid) and how to keep the hovering seagulls from eating my breakfast sandwich. What's more, the double greens and blind shots can often make sight lines difficult to identify if you're not a veteran of the course. Put it this way: three players in our foursome shelled out for caddies, and the other guy played to the wrong hole twice, including once onto the adjacent Eden Course.

The start of the round was a bit harried as I tried to loosen up my swing after walking to the tee without benefit of a practice shot. I also spent the first few holes constantly either putting on or taking off some combination of rain gear and weather gloves. But the course is generally forgiving, and when I managed to follow my caddie's advice I usually benefited. One of the day's highlights, driving the green on the par-4 10th with the wind at my back, was quickly erased when I three-putted for par.

Walking the course, you could simply feel the history seep into your shoes. I thought of the many memorable shots I'd seen on TV over the years as my caddie pointed out that every great player, save Ben Hogan, had walked the course we trod that morning. There was such simplicity to the ground, yet subtle complexity to the layout itself. And the bunkers – they were a work of art.

The weather was just what you might expect in Scotland: low 50s, windy and raining throughout the morning. We played in the opposite of the prevailing wind, meaning it was rainbows and lollipops for the first seven holes and absolutely brutal playing back into town over the last seven. But I managed to scrape together a few pars, including a memorable up-and-down from the thick rough about 30 yards short and right of the 17th green.

After taking my crack at the final tee shot and posing for the myriad photo opportunities around the Swilcan Bridge, I found the green with my final approach and lipped out a 30-footer for what would have been one of the more memorable birdies of my life. It added up to an 83 – a little higher than my 7 handicap would have preferred and including more than my fair share of putts, but still a respectable effort given the unconventional morning that had preceded my tee time.

Oh, and after playing in a shade under four hours, I made it to my meetings with a few minutes to spare.

Flexibility and determination. If you have both traits, it's more than likely you can wiggle your way into a tee time on the Old Course. And if you do happen to make the trek to one of the best sanctuaries in all of golf, know that the bench in front of the Old Course Pavilion can definitely host a nap if you're in a pinch.

Video: Matt Ginella shares his tips on how to play the Old Course

Will Gray joined Golf Channel in 2007, and currently serves as an associate editor for Prior, he worked as online community manager for the site. He is a regular contributor to the Golf Central blog and covers several PGA TOUR events each year. He also is a regular contributor to several digital properties on, including Stat Man, On the Clock, Fantasy Central and Grill Room. He is a graduate of the University of Florida. Follow him on Twitter @willgraygc.
Default User Avatar
Commented on

Played on Tuesday the 29th of May 2018. Got in line at 2:45 AM and was number 3. I was able to get a 12:50 tee time and go back to my room for a four hour nap! This works very well if you want to feel fresh on the first tee.

Default User Avatar
Commented on

How long is the walk on the Old Course (miles)? Long/Short-Easy/Hard?

Default User Avatar
Commented on

Landed in St. Andrews July 13th. Played kinsbarn and guys I met said "try the lottery."It was my dad's 93rd birthday on the 15th so I went for it. Joined by friend who lives in Glasgow that I hadn't seen for 29 yearsGot on ...

Default User Avatar
Commented on

It was June of 1996 when I went down to the first tee and an another American told me that if I went to the starter I could be in line to possibly play that day which I hadn't planned on. I just wanted to visit The Home of Golf. I luckily happened  to have my handicap card with me. A couple from Sweden agreed that the other fellow and I could play with them. I quickly went to the Old Tom Morris shop and rented some clubs. Back then those that had a tee time had to agree to let you play with them. The other American had already been turned down by three Brits. If playing the Old Course wasn't enough of a thrill, at the end of the round my wife said "do you know who was playing behind you?". I told her I didn't but they hit into us a couple times. Well it was none other than the two actors, Michael Douglas and Jack Nicholson! Later I heard that Nicholson had taken Douglas there for his 50th birthday. What a memorable day!

Default User Avatar
Commented on

Great story. We visited St. Andrews a few years back, but we were not successful with the ballot for the Old Course. However, we delighted in playing the New Course and the Jubilee Course. We also went down the road to the Devlin course at the Fairmont - St. Andrews, and played the Duke's Course. It ended up being a great trip with only a little regret about not getting on the Old Course. 

Default User Avatar
Commented on

OK, here is my version of the same story.  

I arrived as a single at 3:15 am and was number 10.  It was also a late June morning and raining lightly and of course cool.  And just like you, I spent 3 hours talking with Aussies, one Asian, and some Americans about their golf experiences around the world.  At 6:30 am, the groups began to go out.  One thing you did not mention in your story is that at 9:00 am, the last group of singles goes out; after 9:00 am it is members only.  So I was on the bubble at #10, since the day was predicted to be fairly nice weather.  By 8:40 number 9 had been called and at 8:50, my number was called.  I stood on the tee in great anticipation, my ball literally teed up and my arms flexing as I readied to hit the ball.  As I am doing this, the starter calls out "Wait", and the original 8:50 tee time saunters up to the box.  "Sorry mate" he chimes in a full brogue, and I walk off the tee dejected.  

My wife and son were off in the town, so I decided to go to the nearby golf museum and just hang around the first tee for a while.  I spent about 15 minutes in the museum and came out and I saw the starter waving his arms, seemingly at me.  Me?  I gestured.  "Yes, son" (I must have looked younger than my 54 years), "Aren't you number 10, the chap that just lost his tee time?"  "Yes," I said, lowering my eyes because of the pain, as I was due to leave St. Andrews that afternoon and did not have another chance to get a tee time.  The starter continued under his breath a bit: "Well, some members saw what happened, and they only have three today. They wanted to know if you would care to play with them." Well, needless to say, my mood improved quickly and I gladly accepted their invitation.  We had a great time, the guys I played with had all been members for 30 years or more, a couple of them having had the membership in their family for over a hundred years.  They knew all of the lines, breaks of the greens, inside stories of the names of the bunkers, and had stories too numerous to tell in one round.  I had a few stories of my own, and as we walked up the 18th fairway in the sunshine (!) - my wife and young son had joined me for photos at the Swilcan Bridge and the walk up 18 - they asked if I'd like to have a drink in the R&A, adding with a wink that neither my wife nor son could join us.  I accepted of course, apologized to my family, and proceeded to have a Scotch or two in the members lounge gawking at four centuries of golf memorabilia, from the actual Claret Jug to golf balls signed by kings.  It was quite an experience, really the best day of golf I have ever had, and it had seemed to start so badly.

Default User Avatar
Commented on

GlennMacC, Now THAT's the way to play St. Andrews!   You were blessed!  Some times the golfing gods smile down upon us.  Thanks for sharing it, and Will thanks for the article

Commented on

Thanks much for sharing and glad it worked out. That's why they call it the Home of Golf. 

Default User Avatar
Commented on

Less than a minute agoWilliwannago24Great story, we just came back and entered the raffle last year but no luck, so we booked 6 nights in St Andrews on the end of 3 weeks in country. We began entering 2 days ahead and never got the ballot. It was closed Saturday for a tourney and of course Sunday so we entered 4 times, with no luck at all. On our last 2 days we met a couple from our state who entered the ballot once and got it, plus 4 guys who got the ballot 3 days in a row. I do not know what I did to upset the Links so on our our last day I went down at 3am. I was 22nd in line. The Links staff clearly explained everything and I saw my odds were not good so I sat and read the book I brought. An hour later my name was called and at 7:50am I teed off. What a fun 4 hours! LikeReplyDeleteShare0

Related Links
Visiting St. Andrews turns any golfer into a giddy 12-year-old kid all over again. Here are 10 experiences every golfer should seek out in the Home of Golf.
3 Min Read
The Old Course is open to the public on most days, and it costs about the same as a round at any PGA Tour venue open to the public. Here's how to get a tee time.
5 Min Read
The Open is over and now you want to play links golf overseas. But just how should you go about it?
4 Min Read
More from the author
11 Min Read
February 20, 2020
A journey to Melbourne reveals a cosmopolitan city and understated golf courses along the Sandbelt and beyond.
1 Min Read
November 30, 2015
The Wanamaker Course, named after the man whose name graces the PGA Championship trophy, is the star attraction of the 54-hole PGA Golf Club in Port St. Lucie, Fla.
2 Min Read
April 28, 2022
Famous, historic and exclusive clubs are all offering rounds to help with turf research in 2022.
6 Min Read
May 9, 2022
Here's how to play - and stay - where the pros play.
9 Min Read
May 12, 2022
Sensei Lanai, a Four Seasons Resort, can help golfers get in better shape - physically, mentally and emotionally - on and off the course.
4 Min Read
May 19, 2022
David McLay Kidd's $7-million redesign reinvents the private golf club that is accessible by a stay at the Inn at Entrada in St. George, Utah.
Load More
Now Reading
The real Old Course experience: Waiting overnight for a St. Andrews walk-up tee time