2.3
2.2
2.4
2.3
1.7

Cooks Creek Golf Club (previously known as Raintree South Golf Club) is bordered by Little Walnut Creek on one side and the Scioto River on the other, providing a scenic setting that is ideal for a round of golf. The course is a certified Audubon Sanctuary and there is also a Blue Herron rookery on site. Opened in 1993, the golf course is relatively young but it has already established a reputation for being one of central Ohio's best public courses. Local architects Michael Hurzdan and Dana Fry designed the course with the assistance of John Cook. Cooks Creek has two completely unique nines that offer two different sets of challenges. The diverse layout requires careful strategy and it will also test your shot-making abilities. With two bodies of water serving as neighbors, water definitely plays a role on the golf course.

Cooks Creek Golf Club

Year Built 1993
Architect Dr. Michael Hurdzan (1993) John Cook (1993) Dana Fry (1993)

Golf School Academy Yes - "John Cook Golf Academy"
Practice Hole Yes

Dress code Appropriate golf attire. Collared shirt, bermuda shorts.

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Ohio (2017 #21)
  • Golf Advisor: Top 25 Courses for Layout in the U.S. (2017 #12)

Terrible conditions and deceptive pricing

Used tee off to book and had a tee time with a cart. Get a text less than 24 hours before tee time telling us they are not offering carts to to COVID. Every other course is doing this and we paid for a cart. Asked if they would refund the car fee and they said they couldn't. Offered us a 6 pack of beer instead. I don't really drink when playing. They said fine we can cancel your tee time and issue refund. Made no sense that they could cancel but not refund the $8 difference each for a cart fee. We wanted to play so just accepted the 6 pack which is ridiculous!!

I arrived and the lady was NOT wearing a mask. They didn't have pencils and claimed it was due to COVID. So here we are no carts, no pencils, using covid as an excuse, but they don't wear masks???

The course? Absolutely joke! Played here years ago and course was immaculate and amazing. Half the greens were burnt out and they used sand to fix. Traps have no sand. Fairways are like cow pastures. NO tee boxes or markers for tee boxes, so just tee off where you think is right, and the tee boxes were worse than cow pastures, complete garbage.

This is an extremely hilly course, so no carts was a challenge. Them to have the course in compete crap shape, even worse. We were on of 10 people on the course, so not sure how carts was an issue whatsoever.

Our opinion, will NEVER play here again. Great layout and used to be amazing, but just complete junk now. Seems like they are trying to screw people by doing as little work on the course as possible while still charging based on what it used to be!

BTW, we get it is December, but just NO excuse for not at least having tee boxes!! They did have some arrows in paint, but at least 1/3rd of these were completely off what the scorecard had for distance.

I

Commented on 12/21/2020

We appreciate you reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the experience you had when booking your round. Your feedback about confusion during the booking process is important to us. We always want to make sure our golfers are clear about their purchase before checking out. We see you said Tee off, but it sounds like this may have been a GolfNow tee time. If that is the case, we ask that you contact GolfNow customer service at 1 (800) 767-3574 for clarity. Please have your confirmation number handy. Thank you for playing Cooks Creek Golf Club. We hope to see you again soon.

Commented on 12/03/2020

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Cooks Creek Golf Club!

Commented on 11/30/2020

Thank you for taking the time to leave us a review. We are sorry to see that your overall experience was anything short of 5 stars, but we hope you'll give us another try in the near future. Thanks for choosing Cooks Creek Golf Club.

Pleasure

I really like playing this course as you have to use several clubs on your way. Th scenery is worth the trip. I like the challenge of each of the holes as there is the risk reward with each shot. The staff is outstanding as they do everything to make your fun.

Commented on 12/21/2020

Commented on 11/30/2020

This course was once a very nice course.

The course was in horrible shape. Everything! I'm in the grass business, so I know what I'm talking about. What was once a very nice course is now only fit for goats or cattle ti graze. I'm sure they have to small a maintenance crew and don't apply the proper chemicals to keep it in good shape. I was very disappointed.

Commented on 11/11/2020

Hello, jacktrott. Thank you for reviewing the course. It is our goal to give visitors the best chance to get out and play more. Thank you for playing Cooks Creek Golf Club. We hope to see you again soon.

A central Ohio favorite.

One of my central Ohio favorite courses. Because of weather conditions the past several years, it has experienced some challenges. Even though it is beat-up, I still enjoy playing it. Wonderful setting, lots of nature, many challenging holes, don't want to use driver on several of the par 4's.

Commented on 10/27/2020

Hi u00000638047. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Cooks Creek Golf Club.

Commented on 10/22/2020

Thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We see you rated the course 2-stars and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit. We take customer feedback very seriously at our course. Please reach out to our team in the golf shop and tell us what's on your mind. Thank you for playing Cooks Creek Golf Club.

Former shell of itself

Used to play every Monday with a foursome about 12 years ago. Used to be one of the best. Needs some serious love. I know the challenges of maintaining a course; worked on greens crew at both Medallion and OSU Scarlet and Gray. But greens were real bad. Still a challenging layout and beautiful track of land. The cost was a value, will play again there if nothing else for the course that I know it can be.

Commented on 10/08/2020

Thank you for reviewing the course. Your feedback about the price of our course is important to us. We always want to make sure we are offering golfers a competitive price for their round. It is our goal to give visitors the best chance to get out and play more. Thank you for playing Cooks Creek Golf Club. We hope to see you again soon.

Commented on 10/06/2020

Terrible maintenance

Loved and respected this course for many years but this time I need to good bye.
Need to work hard to regain and respect to rebirth
As prime golfer course.

Commented on 10/06/2020

Enjoyed play

The golf course has a great layout, each hole has its own personality. The pace of play was fantastic and the staff was great, helpful and efficient. I’m very sorry to say the the course condition was not good. The fairways were bare and weedy. The greens and bunkers were not in good condition. I hope that the course condition comes back because it’s one of my favorites, along with my golfing buddies.

Commented on 10/08/2020

A course that's been let go

This is the first time I have been back to Cooks creek in three years. WOW....the course is in terrible shape. The fairways are mostly mud/dirt. The greens are trashed as well. If I didn't get a HOT deal, I would had complained big time. I love the course design and the challenge but the course is really in bad shape. Also, litter everywhere and the cart paths are random (grass. path etc)

Commented on 10/08/2020

Barely even a golf course :(

I'm so sad to see how bad this course has become :(
Even considering COVID cost issues for courses, this is even beyond imaginable. We played in the summer season the last 2 years and watched it getting progressively worse. But truly, this is not really a golf course anymore if it weren't for having the "cut out" of a course. Such a shame, because this is such an awesome layout and old, mature course that can be so fun to play when it's playable.
Currently almost all of the tee boxes are burned out...no grass. Along with large segments of most greens that are bare, brown, no grass.
We saw 2 high school teams/buses come to drop dozens of kids off to play around 4pm. So I presume most of the income is currently from lessons and these team payments?
Really wish this course could get bought out and refurbished back to what a phenomenal course it was years ago.....There is barely any value in playing this course, but my husband and I did still enjoy our round since there was nobody else in front or back of us for all 18 holes. And it was a beautiful fall day to enjoy outdoors together :)

Cooks Neglected

Hadn't played Cooks Creek in 2 years. It was always one of my favorite courses in Ohio. I had heard they had lost the course last year but saw it for myself today. Complete and total neglect has ruined it (they don't even have pencils). The course is entirely crabgrass and dirt and the bunkers are gone. They did not mow the greens today. The staircases and railings leading to the tee boxes have collapsed, and the rest room looked like it hadn't been cleaned in weeks. It's too bad really but I can't imagine it will be a golf course in 2 years. It would take Millions of dollars to restore this once magnificent golf course starting with the removal of thousands of trees and acres of scrub brush, but I doubt they have a staff of more than 6 people.

Gem Disappears

We last played this Hurdzan-Frye design over 10 years ago and it was terrific. Yesterday almost a fourth of each green was barren, the tees were either barren or overgrown, and the bunkers and fairways lacked attention, It was disappointing.

Commented on 10/16/2020

Thank you for reviewing the course. We always want to make sure we are offering golfers a competitive price for their round. It is our goal to give visitors the best chance to get out and play more. Thank you for playing Cooks Creek Golf Club. We hope to see you again soon.

Horrible condition

Worst overall condition of any course I have played in 10 years. I will never go back

Commented on 09/22/2020

Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. The current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve, and we are working towards getting things up to par. The team here cares deeply about this course. It is a family business and we are doing everything to get it to where it needs to be! Your feedback about the conditions of our course is important to us. It is our goal to give visitors the best chance to get out and play more. Thank you for playing Cooks Creek Golf Club. We hope to see you again soon.

Its cheap and its 18

Youre getting 18 holes. Greens wont be good for a year most likely. Its whatever.

Commented on 10/15/2020

Thank you for taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass along your feedback to the staff. Thanks for visiting Cooks Creek Golf Club!

Course Condition

I have played this course many times but not for a few years. This course used to be so beautiful and was enjoyable to play. Yesterday was a mess, steps leading to tees are at your own risk. Greens-Fairways and Tees are nothing but crabgrass or mud and burnt out. The course can't breath because of all the overgrowth and brush this would take at least 2 years to clean up the brush and cut down trees to let it breath. I never wright reviews but felt I had to on this one. This course used to be my favorite not anymore. The groundskeeper needs fired and bring someone in who has a clue about golf course maintenance. I hope it can come back, I cant believe John has seen this course in a long time. This is very sad!!!

Commented on 09/22/2020

Thank you for reviewing the course. Let us first start by apologizing for the poor experience you had during your visit. The current condition is by no means the standard we strive to achieve, and we are working towards getting things up to par. The team here cares deeply about this course. It is a family business and we are doing everything to get it to where it needs to be! Your feedback about the maintenance of our course is important to us. It is our goal to give visitors the best chance to get out and play more. Thank you for playing Cooks Creek Golf Club. We hope to see you again soon.

Ashville, Ohio