Year Built 1993
Greens Champion Dwarf Grass
Architect Steve Smyers (1993)

Dress code Proper golf attire is required. Tank tops and cut-offs are not allowed on the course.

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 Most Improved U.S. Golf Courses (2017 #4)

Sandemic!

We had booked two separate tee times but due to travel issues two friends were unable to make it on time. The pro shop was accommodating and we did not have to pay for them which was much appreciated and immediately gave us a great feeling about the club’s sense of hospitality. Starter was very friendly and informative too.

I believe there are 183 sand traps but the number alone doesn’t do justice. They are typically very expansive also and you will get to use them.

We found greens slower than we expected perhaps due to recent sand but they rolled true. The course certainly looked in great shape and as a fan of links golf I enjoyed the opportunity to bump and run using the course’s contours on many occasions. With 20mph two club winds the course was challenging but fair and you can see the holes laid out in front of you which I personally appreciate relative to blind hazards. Shot my index from the blues which speaks to playability for a first time round.

Pace of play was four and a quarter hours for our fourball, we had no one in front and one group got close on the final holes.

We are playing three other courses near Orlando in the next few days, this has set a high bar already! Appreciated the warm welcome and look forward to playing Southern Dunes again.

INCREDIBLE

Played this with 7 other buddies. We were all completely blown away from very beginning to end. Every hole was beautiful. Every aspect of the course blew expectations away- and we had high expectations!! Felt more like a high end WI country club then a busy typical FL track. Drinks also much cheaper then the resort courses we played. Favorite Orlando course to date.

Need a Player Assistant

First, the course. Greens were fantastic! Fairways quite good for this time of year and the rough was think.

It is really important that players select the right tees in order to enjoys the round.

Now the bad....we spent all day with the group behind us on the tee boxes with us. They obviously didn't see the group right in front of us as they continually hit into us.

Group in front played most of the day with a full hole open in front of them, nobody there to get them moving and they just didn't care. We were just under 5 hours!!!

Can't say I would go back if this is the normal pace of play. Lots of great golf in the area without having the round take 5 hours!!!

LIGHTNING greens. Awesome track

First off, WOW. As you pull into the community you can see just how green and lush the course is. Clubhouse/pro shop were super nice and friendly, answered all my questions with no issues. Once I went to the first tee, the starter gave us a quick breakdown of the local rules and what the green speeds were. They were rolling 11.5!!!! It was a challenge to get the downhill putts to stop hahaha. Along with the speed, they were in pristine shape. If you hit your putt good, it was ruling true to that line.

The layout of the course was challenging for some holes, but there are holes where you can have some good looks for birdie. There are 180+ bunkers on the course, so you will be in one lol. Local rule allows you to lift, clean, and place in them, so it was pretty easy to escape them. Despite being tucked into a neighborhood, the fairways were relatively wide, so there is plenty of room to hit driver on most holes.

I will be returning to this course. 10/10

Wait to play

This is a nice course, but during this pandemic they are making people ride together. This is outrageous at this time, they are just trying to get an extra $10 for riding by yourself. I suggest waiting until summer to play here. Your life isn't worth it.

Bunker Hill

Great course. Excellant conditions. Defintely target golf. If you miss your spot, you'll be in a bunker. Fairly wide fairways and large greens.....but not flat. It was a fun but challenging round. Well worth playing. Looking forward to returning.

Very non-Florida layout...awesome!

The course was in absolutely spectacular condition. The tee boxes and fairways were lush and green, even coming out of the overseed. The greens were true and thick with grass, a little on the slower side though. If you want a good test of golf with a ton of sand...it's in play on every hole, but water is only on two holes...it's a great spot. One of the best values around.

AlnFitzy

This course is beautiful in its layout and conditions. It has to be one of the best public courses in he state . It is worth the price to see it. Coming back next month

The Best in the Area

If you are questioning your wisdom to spend a few dollars more, this is where to go. The fellows at the bag drop welcome you, the pro shop staff couldn’t be more helpful and the golf course is simply wonderful. You will get plenty of practice from the sand traps, there are many. The greens have come back beautifully and are a pleasure to putt on. The range is available for every club in your bag and the practice green in out in front of the shop. There is no question as to why you would want to play Southern Dunes. The experience is excellent.

Incentivized Review

Great course but unfriendly pro shop staff

This was our second week of golf at Southern Dunes in 2019 and our foursome was unanimous in rating the course highly with respect to layout, variety of holes, green conditioning and playability. It has much more in the way of elevation changes and bunkers and less water hazards than most Florida courses and that makes for a very interesting game.

Unfortunately the pro shop staff was unfriendly and seemed to feel that they were doing you a favour by serving you.

In summary, the course is one you can play every day and thoroughly enjoy if you can put up with a surly reception in the pro shop.

The cart staff is excellent by the way. Only the pro shop staff (and by inference the senior management) seem to have a negative attitude to their clientele. Disappointing indeed and not in keeping with the quality of the golf course.

Incentivized Review

Great course terrible pro shop customer service

We had a group of four playing 6 days of golf for our second year in a row
The golf course is positively unique to the traditional Florida golf course and absolutely challenging and enjoyable.
However, the staff in the pro shop was the polar opposite.
They seemed to be a very unhappy group of people and assisted only when pressed to do so
If it was not for the golf course quality, we would have played elsewhere.
We wondered if this might be a top down cultural issue???

Golf Channel

The course is always in fantastic shape. The greens were recovering from a punching about two weeks ago. You can hardly notice. The greens were rolling very nicely and with all of the rain in the area lately, you couldn't even tell.

Stopped in for lunch after our round. Highly recommend the Chicken Parm Sandwich!

Don't miss the chance to play this hidden gem outside of Orlando!

Golf Channel

The course is coming back from the disease in their greens. One of my favorite layouts in the area. Certainly worth the price if you haven't played here before. Greens were a little sandy as they may have been punched a month or so ago. Fairways were in good shape along with the bunkers.

Wow!!

Took advantage of the afternoon rate of $35 and was rewarded, amazingly, by almost getting the course to ourselves. Nobody in front, nobody behind!! Course is in fantastic shape and the layout is superb. Really well bunkered but fairways are generous enough to allow driver from most tee boxes. You could see the greens had been patched at some point but it did not affect putts at all as they were perfectly smooth. Not sure why the course is not on Golfnow but this should not put folks off playing as it is way better than a lot of course charging similar rates. Had a meal afterwards which was very good and service from Lupe in the bar was excellent. I am already looking forward to a return visit!!

One of the Best

Course was in excellent condition. The layout is better than most in the area. Definitely worth the drive over from Tampa. They hosted a group of 16 of us, and everyone enjoyed the day. Greens are challenging, but course is manageable if you avoid the 180+ bunkers.

We will return.

A bit disappointed

We haven't played here in many years but have always loved the layout. The course condition, overall, was excellent, but the greens are distressed. Apparently mold had gotten into the greens and they are being patched, top dressed, etc., but they did not putt well and definitely did not warrant the $100 per person greens fee. Unless they make a major adjustment in the rate or until the greens live up to the $100 greens fee, I would recommend playing elsewhere

Double Header

Every time our foursome comes to Orlando we make sure Southern Dunes is in the rotation and usually we do a double header. I don’t know who the architect was but he did a great job. Every hole has its own challenges and no two are alike. Lots of elevation changes here. Despite some the recovering diseased greens they were running fast and true. We’re never disappointed here.

Urrgghhhh- so disappointing

I love this course and have played it three times in the past. When we called to make a reservation I specifically asked about the greens because I knew they have had issues in the past. We were mislead. The greens we damaged. When we approached the gentleman who checked us in; he admitted he was the one we spoke to on the phone - but was very flippant in his response. He stated- “well that’s what they told me to say!” Seriously, that’s your response? So much for customer service. The course wasn’t worth $100+ in my opinion. Thank god for the friendly Russian bartender who made us laugh after our round. I think her name was Yule.

4.1481941176
Lake Alfred, Florida
Semi-Private/Resort
1915
Winter Haven, Florida
ORLANDO, FL | Enjoy 2 nights' accommodation at Tuscana Resort Orlando and 3 rounds of golf at Disney’s Magnolia Golf Course, Palm Golf Course and Lake Buena Vista Golf Course.
ORLANDO, FL | Enjoy 4 nights' accommodation at The Fountains Resort Championsgate and 6 rounds of golf at Orange County Panther Lake, Orange County Crooked Cat, Omni International, Omni National, Celebration Golf Club and Falcons Fire Golf Club.
ORLANDO, FL | Enjoy 2 nights' accommodation at Tuscana Resort Orlando and 3 rounds of golf at Bella Collina Country Club, Southern Dunes Golf and Country Club and The Country Club of Winterhaven.
ORLANDO, FL | Play 3 rounds of golf at Providence Golf Club, Red Tail Golf Club and Northshore Golf Club.
KISSIMMEE, FL | Enjoy 2 nights' accommodations at Reunion Resort and 3 days of unlimited golf at Reunion Golf Club – The Nicklaus, The Palmer and The Watson courses.