1.7
1.8
1.8

Type Public/Resort

Year Built 2003
Architect Robert Walker (2003)

Clubhouse, Meeting Facilities

Fitness, Tennis

Dinner 10

They destroyed a gem of a course

My group has played this course every year for about 15 years. Two years ago ownership changed. So did course maintenance. This year the major downturn only worsened. 75% of the tee boxes are now crab grass and/or barren. 50% of the fairways are have major dirt patches with crabgrass clippings affecting roll and lies. The greens are in good shape. Even during the recession, this course was in great shape. I fear it will never come back.

Terrible golf course

Visiting St George Island and wanted to golf near by and there not many options. Most holes have forced carries over wetland from tee box. Tee boxes and fairways in terrible shape. Hitting off hard pan on many holes. Greens were pretty good. Won’t go back. Not enjoyable. Nice GPS on carts doesn’t make up for the course.

Woof

Dog track...This place has really gone down hill and not sure what happened. Might be because of hurricane a few years ago but it’s overgrown and overpriced. Payed $65.00 and should be about half that. Tee boxes Crab grass, bare spots, matted grass. Fairways look like they were flooded awhile back, lots of ground under repair but no repairs happening. Bright side is golf carts were really nice with great GPS and Bluetooth but money should have been put into maintenance. Not much choice to play in area and not sure I’ll play it again. Super disappointed

Conditions are headed downhill...

I play this course several times a year. Lately, the conditions have really gone downhill. This course used to always be in pristine shape, from tee to green. The past year or so the tee boxes and fairways have developed bare spots, and I have yet to see any maintenance staff working to improve. Also, I guess they gave up on cutting down the brush in the forced carries. There are several holes where you can barely see the pin anymore looking over. They used to keep this trimmed down and looking nice. Now it looks like they just don't want to bother going in the swamp to cut anything.
Course is still in a beautiful setting. However, they removed themselves from GolfNow and no longer offer any deal times. At $70 on the weekend, this course is overpriced for the condition it is in currently.

Natural setting.

Very good course in a beautiful natural setting. Lots of water and marshland so bring extra balls. Greens are in excellent condition. Some fairways could use some work. Several natural areas you are hitting over have bushes and trees which have grown and make the entire landing area not visible from the fairway. Really needs some maintenance in those areas. It wasn’t like that 3 years ago and it detracts from the experience. That said it’s a good course I would recommend.

Back again after a couple of years

We have not played here in 2 years. Course is having some rough times now from what i remember previously. The fairways are having some issues with loss of grass and weeds. The course is very overgrown on the sides and in areas that you have to hit over. This creates blind shots and you cannot judge distance now. Greens are pretty nice but slow. The course needs a big time grooming and thinning out so it will open up the course and give longer views. It is in a very pretty setting. I hope that they will spend the money soon to get the course cleared up.

Not so good

Last time I played St. James Bay was 8 years ago and it has gone downhill.

Course marking

You have to play position golf, and that's as advertised. What makes it so unfair is there are no course diagrams to show you where and how far to hit. There are many blind shots. And unless you have played it, you can't know how to hit. They need guidelines, course layouts, with distances, signs, maps or gps. Something! Some Tee boxes in poor shape. Fairways somewhat rough, but greens were superb! I will play it again, with some foreknowledge. Not many other choices in the area.

Best course in the area for the money.

They are trying hard to restore this course to it's former glory. So far a success. Can't beat the value.

St James Bay

St. James Bay is a great layout whose difficulty lies in a number of forced carries over environmentally sensitive areas off the tee. Unfortunately the plant growth in most of the areas now obscures any view of the landing area in the fairway. The fairways and tee boxes have suffered from CoVid related lack of maintenance while the condition of the greens remains very good. The staff was great everywhere on the property.

good but not what it used to be

For the Tallahassee area its a really good course. It was once one of the best in FLA but it doesn't stack up to its previous version The carries over the "roughs" i are fine but have not been trimmed in awhile Its fun to play and that's what matters

Better have some Top-Flites!

About a 1 hour drive from Tallahassee. Beautiful area, course is beautiful but extremely challenging. No margin for error - particularly on tee shots. A golf app on your phone is a must to understand what you need to hit off the tee. Fairways were in average shape (at best) but greens were fantastic. VERY high potential for lost balls so stock up on some Top-Flites before you play here.

Commented on 06/23/2020

Thank you for playing our course! You are right to suggest extra golf balls. We are an Audubon Certified Signature Course- one of less than 60 in the world, which is why there are so many hazards. Our fairways are improving every day so we would love to see you back soon.

Up for auction

Sad to see this once beautiful, well maintained course turn into a such disaster. Most holes “cart path only” so you don’t tear up the little bit of dried out brown grass that’s left. Greens aren’t far behind!

Commented on 05/27/2020

New Superintendent started 3 days before you played. I encourage you to come back, show us you made the above comment, and receive a complimentary round. If our recovery impresses you just please share your positive experience!

4.3133 stars

Very nice scenery. Fairways chewed up but still enjoyed very much compared to most courses. Happy I found this place and thanks for participating with golf now.

Commented on 06/23/2020

Hey Chris- Thanks for playing a round with us! We appreciate you. We did have an issue with our fairways, however we have a new Superintendent and he has made great strides in the last few weeks. We would love the opportunity to show you.

Saint Janes Bay

Course was in fair condition. First time I had been there where it was not in tip top shape. But still was a joy to play.

Course not in tip top shape!

Love layout, played her a lot over the years, first time it was not in great shape.

Headed downhill?

Course has seemed to be trending down last year or so. GPS removed from carts. App no longer supported. Range balls no longer included. No more coolers on carts or cool towels provided. New ownership seems to really be cutting costs.
Grass in fairways disappearing (not dormant, I’m aware of the difference). Even some greens are getting bare in spots.
Overall, still a great course. I would not spend $50+ to play it, but $35 is a good deal. I would recommend that more emphasis be put on maintenance and bringing the GPS units back. They are sorely needed on a course like this.

Commented on 06/23/2020

Thank you for playing a round with us. We agree, this course definitely needs a GPS to play and we have plans to bring those back on our brand new golf carts which are supposed to be delivered sometime in July. We still have the coolers, they are just in the restaurant. We also have a new Super and he has made great progress on our fairways and tee boxes. We would love for you to come see for yourself.

Beautiful course

This golf course is in great condition. The greens are beautiful! I would not recommend this course to a beginner though unless you want to loose lots of golf balls. If you need reading glasses, make sure you bring them to read the course map, which is tiny. There were a few holes that we we were unsure about where the green was when teeing off. Saw a couple of alligators in the ponds around the course and a few turtles shared the sand traps with us. Really enjoyed playing there.

Read this - you've been warned

I live in Tallahassee, and have played St James Bay many times in the past. But it has been since last year since I've been here, during an FSGA event, and I came again today for another FSGA one day event. I've played this course in every conceivable weather condition from hot and sticky, to cold and wet, to windy, etc. DIscounting it being a bit chilly when we teed off, the course is next to impossible to actually play and be honest with yourself about it being a true test of golf. We had 10 players in the FSGA event, and the field averaged 99 strokes. One guy just quit after five holes out of frustration it was so bad. Dirt for tee boxes, and the fairways were patchy at best, and because this was an FSGA event we had to play the ball down. I managed my way to a 78, but even with that this was just borderline torture forcing people to play the ball as it lies. I'd suggest preferred lies if you decide to play this course, but good luck finding any grass to put your ball on. The only positive is that the greens are puttable and have somewhat decent roll to them. But honestly, if you make it to the green to have a putt you should be given a medal. I honestly hate seeing this course deteriorate like this, as it's probably one of the most demanding and challenging golf courses in the area. But you need decent conditions to give the average golfer a fair chance here. And this is definitely not a fair fight. Save your money, and play somewhere else.

Commented on 06/23/2020

First of all, thank you for coming out. We appreciate that you drove all the way from Tallahassee to play our course. It's true, our fairways and tee boxes got out of hand, however we have a new Superintendent that has been here for about 7 weeks now and he has made great progress. We would love the opportunity to show you- on the house of course. Please stop back in for a free round- just show your review to us.

Crawfordville, Florida
Semi-Private/Resort
MIRAMAR BEACH, FL | Enjoy 4 nights' accommodations at Sandestin Golf and Beach Resort and 4 rounds of golf at The Links Golf Club, Baytowne Golf Club, Raven Golf Club & Burnt Pine Golf Club.
CLAY COUNTY, FL | Enjoy 2 nights' accommodations at Courtyard Orange Park and 2 rounds of golf at Eagle Landing Golf Club.
ST. AUGUSTINE, FL | Enjoy 3 nights’ accommodations at The World Golf Village Renaissance Resort, 2 rounds of golf at World Golf Village’s King & Bear and Slammer & Squire courses, and a 90-minute tune-up at the PGA TOUR Golf Academy.
ST. AUGUSTINE, FL | Enjoy 2 nights' accommodations at World Golf Village Renaissance St. Augustine Resort and 2 rounds of golf at Slammer & Squire, and King & Bear at World Golf Village.
ORLANDO, FL | Enjoy 2 nights' accommodations at Mission Inn Resort & Club and 2 rounds of golf at Mission Inn Resort & Club - El Campeon & Las Colinas Courses.