Type Municipal/Resort
Dale Hollow Lake State Resort Park

Year Built 2003
Fairways Zoysia Grass
Architect Brian Ault (2003)

Lodging

Lodging Available

One of Kentucky's Best Courses

Golfers in the Commonwealth of Kentucky need to look no further than their state park system when looking for challenging and affordable golf opportunities. There are three state parks in the southwestern part of the state that could be packaged together as part of a Kentucky State Parks golf outing. Each of these parks has a bevy of lodging and dining options as well as plenty of things to do for the entire family.

Dale Hollow Lake State Resort Park has a special course; it’s not located anywhere near the other three courses but if you’re an avid golfer, it’s worth a visit. From the back tees, Dale Hollow plays 7,023 yards with a course rating of 72.9 and a slope of 126, so it’s considerably longer than the others. Like Mineral Mound there’s a considerable amount of elevation change and if you catch the course at the right time in the fall, the views are second to none. I found that Tee 3 at 6,021 yards (69.1/128) provided a great test of golf.

The key to scoring well at Dale Hollow is to hit the ball so that you can see it when it lands. Missing the fairway or trying to cut corners can result in lost balls or at least a long look in the woods. There isn’t a lot of water on the course – it only comes into play on two holes and once you get out on the course. You’re not going to see a lot of other players except maybe the group in front of you occasionally. A couple of bunkers – on #1 and #12 – are under construction as new Billy Bunkering is installed. When I found them, the Zoysia fairways were like hitting off of carpet and the greens held well and a lot of undulation to them.

Dale Hollow has several memorable holes so I deferred to Head Golf Professional Ron Roberts who is retiring on November 1st. Although Number 14 is a dramatic looking hole – you can see it while waiting to tee off on Number 1 – Ron’s favorite is the par 3, 15th. From Tee 3, the hole plays 160 yards and is all carry over a valley from which there is no recovering a lost ball. The green is a lot wider than it is deep but what makes the hole is all of the stonework in front of the green which Ron says was trucked in to create the look of the hole. It’s as beautiful as it is challenging.

This is just one of the thirteen golf courses that are part of the Kentucky State Parks. They are all beautiful, well maintained, and staffed by friendly, knowledgeable staff. Most offer overnight accommodations as well as restaurants that serve great food in abundant portions.

Amazing

Get yourself to this course and I guarantee you will be back. We drive 150 miles whenever we can just to play it. It’s Augusta in Kentucky. Off season rates are ridiculously cheap. Peak season rates are worth twice what you pay. I spent 20 years in the navy and plated all over the world. This is a top 5.

Enjoy the beauty! Challenging!

I love this course for its beauty. I keep coming back because it is challenging.

Great course and value!

First time playing here. Great course, loved it. Rained most of the round unfortunately. Will definitely come back.

#1 State Park

This is my 4th or 5th time playing Dale Hollow and it continues to be a joy to play. The course was in great condition with just a few things needed to make it perfect. They’ve begun working on bunkers and they definitely need work, but the ones they’ve fixed were perfect. Also greens had recently been punched but still provided good results despite. Can’t wait to play it again in the near future.

Keep coming back again & again!

Another golf trip in the books at Dale Hollow. What I believe was our 8th annual trip, the course was in excellent condition as always. The friendliest staff there is. Congratulations to head Pro Ron Roberts on his retirement in the coming weeks. We will miss seeing you but very happy for him nevertheless. Course was busy ( good for them), but pace of play was not an issue at all. With so much beauty your surrounded by, wouldn’t be an issue even if there is the occasional wait or two.

Heaven

Friends, I spent 20 years in the navy. I’ve played some of the best courses in 23 countries. I’d put this one up against any of them. A fine gentleman in the pro shop welcomed me even though I was an hour early. He gave me the overall layout of the place and sent us on our way. Every hole was worthy of a quick pic. Lots of rain early in the week made it a cart path only day, but it was special enough to make us not care. Wildlife on almost every hole. Great layout meant the hole you were playing was the only hole you saw. Would have been a deal for hundreds of dollars. At $45 a pop it’s a steal.

Beautiful Day, Beautiful Course

We always try to travel 1 1/2 hours to play this course a couple times a year. This is a tough course and when it is cart path only makes it real difficult as you will get wore down.
The Staff is 100% some of the best.
A lot of nice items for sale in the club house
Breathtaking views on many holes.
Pace of play was a little slow as a group in front of us was have a little bit to much sauce.

Beautiful course

This is third time here and it is fantastic (again). The only thing that need work is the bunkers (and they have done some work on them). Otherwise, there is nothing wrong about course. Greens, fairways, tee boxes are all great. Staff is also great. I got there quite a bit before my tee time, but they let me go as soon as I got ready. Wish this course was closer. But, it is worth the 2 1/2 hour drive.

Good to be back

It's been approximately 15 years since I've played Dale Hollow, and I was looking forward to a return visit. The course did not disappoint. If anything, it is in better shape than it was all those years ago. The tee boxes and fairways were excellent and the rough was well maintained. The greens were in great shape but rolled a bit slower than I anticipated. They looked fast but were not. That's okay considering how much break you have to play on most greens. If they were running 9, 10 or better, I don't know if I could make a put there.
My only disappointment was the group in front of us was exceptionally slow. They spent a lot of time in the woods hunting golf balls and did not play ready. Listen, at a course like DH, you're going to hit stray shots. Just drop one and move on. Balls are like Doritos, they'll make more.
Overall, I really had a great experience. I won't wait another 15 years before heading back.

Dale Hollow GC

This course is a must for any Ky golfer. It’s a bit of a drive to get there but well with it. Great course layout, with fantastic scenery. Not the easiest course so bring your A game

Better the second time around!

Well worth the 2 1/2 hour drive to okay this great course. This was the 2nd time I have played this course and it still doesn’t disappoint! No matter what tees you play from or what type of skilled player you are, it’s always a challenge!
If anyone has looked at this course online and says I really should play that sometime- find time and do it! You won’t be disappointed!

Albany, Kentucky