Formerly known as Sammons Park Golf Course.

Sammons Golf Course

Year Built 1922
Greens Emerald Bermuda
Architect John Sammons

Single Allowed No
Dress code Proper golf attire required.

• Golf Advisor: Top 25 Most Improved U.S. Golf Courses (2019 #23)

Awesome

The golf course was awesome all the other players on the course were very well behaved no one hurried no one excellent time to play this course is anytime everyone was courteous and I enjoyed it very well like I always do when I go play there

Didn't know about tournament

The main complaint is that the course is really poorly marked so that you don't even know where the next hole is. Their GPS was not helpful in directing to the next hole.
We scheduled our tee time through GOLF NOW. A tournament was starting and hour after our tee time, so started on hole 10. SLOW... then we began the front nine , we were behind tournament 4 some. Course regulars cut in front of us, then we had to wait more than we already were. We gave up and left 6 holes early. This my first negative review.

Fair course

Bunkers full of water, greens rough and grass not cut. Tee boxes were torn up and hard to find a place to tee.

Poorly Designed

This course was laid out very weirdly! Course definitely needs LOTS OF SIGNAGE!!! The GPS was worthless because it didn’t do a good job of telling you where next hole was and 95% of the time the GPS kept saying we were on the hole we’d just finished and had to continually type the hole number in manually. No one in the Pro Shop told us the ENTIRE course was “cart path only” for EVERY hole. Ridiculous considering most holes could’ve had carts on them and even some of the tee boxes were far from the cart path and especially the blue tees were hard to find. Only good thing was the condition of the greens. Don’t plan to return.

cbc

Short, but challenging... greens are in great shape!

Great Greens - Fine Fairways - Thick Rough - Crummy Carts

Over the last 6 years we have played this course 15-20 times yearly. The course is in THE BEST shape we have ever seen. The greens are excellent. We had a wet summer - the entire course is in good shape...except the bunkers - they are wet and not kept up. The rough is 3 inch deep bermuda. It is FAR too easy to lose a ball in this rough. Too much time is wasted looking for a ball just off the fairway. The fencing software in the carts make the course less fun to play. We have complained a few times. They need to do a better job with this software.
BUT...the greens and fairways are excellent. Keep the ball in play or you pay for it.

Good course

Links type layout, could use a little better direction between holes to find next hole. Nice course layout and good condition. Greens were very quick after the dew dried. Only bad remark was with Bermuda grass fairways, if you were not in the fairways proper, you better plan to drop another ball because you probably will not find it.

Good vibes

Had a great time today. The staff at Sammons are friendly and informative. Great service in pro shop and diner. Food was excellent. My Blt helped me get more birdies on the back 9. ;). I really have nothing negative to say about the course. It’s in great shape for the price. The technology setup in the carts is awesome as well. I would like to recommend placing yardage markers in the range. I used my range finder but not everyone has one. All in all. Great experience. I am going to get a membership this month before the fees go up on Oct 1.

Great course and great staff but.........

I have played Sammons many times over the years, and it is always a great experience! Fun course, friendly staff, and great food at grill. Lately there have been two shortcomings that impact the speed of play. Number one is the length and thickness of the rough. It is tall enough that if your ball ends up there you can't find it unless you accidental step on it. What's worst is that the ball you step on isn't even yours! You waste a lot of time searching for a ball you'll never find! Second, no drinking water on the course. I know that with Covid-19 this has become a health issue, but with temperatures in the triple digits, it is also a health issue. More has to be done to help insure players can stay hydrated in dangerous heat conditions.

Avoid Trying to Play Twilight Rounds Here

I played Sammons with my brothers on the afternoon of 8/7. We booked a tee time for 3:40 pm assuming we would have plenty of time to finish before dark. The course is about what you would expect for a cheaper municipal course - playable but a little rough around the edges. The greens on the front 9, which had recently been aerated and were pretty bumpy, but we would have not complained about the round at all had it not been for the lack of customer service we received.

I gave a 1 star rating for 2 reasons:
#1 - there was absolutely no way to get any water or other beverage on the course for the back 9 which is simply inexcusable in Texas in August. There is no water on the course which is indicated by signs in the clubhouse, but they still ask that you not bring personal coolers onto the course. To make matters worse, when we made the turn (at round 5:15 pm), we were told in the clubhouse that they could not sell us any beverages because they had already closed up the grill area so we were left with the decision to play the back 9 with nothing to drink in 95 degree weather or leave early. Even for a slow afternoon, this is unacceptable customer service and golfers should be warned about this and encouraged to bring their own coolers if this is going to happen.

#2 - course employees began collecting flags from the greens at about 7:15 pm, about 1 hour before sunset and a full 30 min before the time carts were required to be returned according to signs in the clubhouse. We were left to play the last 3 holes with no pins for no reason other than that clearly course employees were hoping to go home early. If the course wants to close early, tee times should no be booked after a certain time or there should be warnings issued to those who are unfortunate enough to try to play here in the afternoon / evening.

Temple, Texas
Moody, Texas
Killeen, Texas
AUSTIN, TX | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Horseshoe Bay Resort and 3 rounds of golf on Horseshoe Bay's Apple Rock, Ram Rock, & Slick Rock Courses.
SAN ANTONIO, TX | Come play where the pros play! Enjoy 3 nights’ accommodations at the JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa and 2 rounds of golf at TPC San Antonio (The Canyons & The Oaks Courses), site of the PGA Tour’s Valero Texas Open.
SAN ANTONIO, TX | Enjoy 2 nights' accommodations at La Cantera Resort & Spa and 2 rounds of golf at La Cantera Resort - Resort Course.