El Tinto Golf Club (formerly known as TPC Cancun) has an environmentally friendly layout that is a popular destination for the PGA Tour. It serves as host to several events throughout the year. When crafting the course, special care was taken to protect the native flora and fauna. As a result El Tinto blends seamlessly into the existing environment. The Nick Price design also utilizes the terrain's natural elevation changes and water features. It's a challenging but fair test with more than 80 strategically placed bunkers and five lakes that come into play throughout. You will encounter some tricky holes but the different sets of tees cater to players of every skill level. El Tinto G.C. is conveniently situated just minutes from all the major area hotels and it's less than a half hour from Playa Del Carmen.

Cancun Country Club

Year Built 2012
Fairways Platinum Paspalum Grass
Greens Platinum Paspalum Grass
Golf Season Year round. High Season: November - April
Architect Nick Price (2012)

Dress code Proper golf attire.

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Mexico (2020 #12)

So close to being a nice place

The infrastructure is there for this place to be an amazing experience. The clubhouse/pro shop was small but clean and classy looking. Outside staff was good, inside staff left a lot to be desired. Separate smaller building near practice facility housed bathrooms, locker rooms, teaching studio, and "grille." Don't come hungry, that grille was small, didn't appear to have any options, and overall the inside of this building was dirty and rundown.

Practice facilities could be great, they have a large range, large short game area, and large putting green. But all 3 were in lousy condition. Range balls were Nitros (they still exist?????) and they were old and dirty. Golf cart was a little sketchy too, parking brake didn't work and the ride on it was rough despite cart paths being in great condition. No GPS on the carts, and my GPS golf watch did not recognize the course. Some marked sprinkler heads, but they were widely spaced out. Par 3s had no yardage markers on tees.

The course itself is fine, fairways are very wide and generous, green complexes are fairly flat. Bunkers were well placed, as I ended up in more than I want to admit. Every hole is tree lined and if you didn't see the airplanes taking off from nearby CUN Airport, you would feel like you are in a very rural area. And yet it was only 15 minutes from my hotel in the Zona Hotelera. Greens on the course were in better shape than practice green, but not great either. Fairways were fine but had patches of crap in too many spots. Bunkers were decently maintained and had lots of fluffy sand.

Overall, the place reeks of failed master planned community. They built it and no one came. Yet you see ads everywhere selling homesites around the course, but no one is buying them. With some love and care, this place could easily be a top resort, but as it is now, not worth the $125 green fee paid.

DONT PAY THE PRICE

This was A great layout for intermediate golfers, the course was fair, fairways were generous but in poor at best condition , greens were 6 out of 10 condition fairly quick and relatively smooth but the course itself look like a ghost town. I would not recommend this for the price you have to pay it should have been a much better venue. If I was going to choose a golf course I have played many in Phoenix Arizona that we’re almost twice is good for half the price. It would be a good play for $75!!

Cancun CC is a jungle beauty!!

This is a massive property with tons of natural beauty: lush green jungle, natural ponds & rock formations that make for a lovely setting.
The course is in very good shape. It is well maintained. There are some rough patches on a few greens but very few. The fairways are wide & generous and it’s tough to get into trouble off the tee. However, there are strategic bunkers and some of the greens are small & tough to hold with plenty of bunker protection. It’s a good challenge. Some of the waste bunkers are rock & gravel and very beautiful, but rugged.
You’ll need a good approach to hit many of the greens in regulation. It’s not long from the white tees - 6300 - but it can be very windy at times and plays tough when it’s blowing.

I visit Cancun every Feb and usually play Cancun CC. I get it on Golf Now or Tee Off for $100-$135.
Other amenities include beverage carts on the course, a very nice clubhouse with a pro shop, locker room, showers & a grill to get a bite to eat. They also have a range + short game & putting green area but this is the only negative at CCC. The practice range is I n poor condition. It is beat up, the range balls are dirty and many are damaged. It’s adequate to warm up but not at all on par with the rest of this lovely property.
It is near he airport, approx 20 mins from the middle of the Hotel Zone.

Overall I give it high marks and will continue to play it when I’m here.

Cheers,
Bob L.

Great Day Spent on the Course

Enjoyed the golf!! Was a Great Day!! Only problem was round trip transportation was included in the fee!! Still had to pay for the transportation both ways!! Can not find anyone to help get reimbursed!!

A Bit Disappointing

I traveled to Puerto Morelos for a few days and wanted to play a few founds. I chose Gran Coyote and Cancun Country Club. I played Gran Coyote first and it was a treat. Impeccable conditions. This may have made my experience at Cancun Country Club a little jaded - but I'm being honest. The course was not in great shape. Greens were just OK - a bit slow and bumpy. The fairways were soaked in many places and the grass was also patchy (difficult to find good lies in the fairway at times). The course is very long ( I think around 6700 from the blue - third tees). The course layout is actually quite nice with an interesting mix of holes. However, with the shape the course is in, I wish I had played elsewhere. Staff was friendly and accommodating but not enough to make up for the poor conditions of the course. I payed a decent amount less to play at Gran Coyote and would recommend that course way before this one.

Immaculate!

I’ve played many courses while vacationing abroad and this one is at the top of my list. The course was in beautiful condition; the fairways were smooth and cared for, the greens were also in great shape. I absolutely loved the natural jungle-like setting and the visible areas of bedrock. Every hole was picturesque! Heck, even the course restrooms looked like expensive villas. To top it off, the course provided a shuttle to and from the facility. I will definitely be playing this course again.

Hot Day but good golf

Got a hot deal on GolfNow. Time was definitely during the hot time of the day, but we literally had the course to ourselves. I’m pretty sure not a single other tee time was booked. Was able to play the full 18 in less than 3 hrs. Course was in great shape. Recommend.

Good golf for your money

Was in Cancun on vacation at the resorts and wanted to play golf without killing the credit card. Got a discounted rate on teeoff and was worth the trip.
Course was wet from the morning rain, but still very playable. Greens were a little slow, but the fairways were in great shape. Bunkers were packed in and hard and some of the tee boxes were very patchy with some spots not having a good place to put your tee in the ground.
Overall, the course was wide open off the tee and very playable for a number of abilities.

Incentivized Review

extroverted

Is it uptown, downtown, or meltdown, it´s all here at the Cancun Country Club. You have to create a schedule. You must write down what time you have to be on the course and what time you have to be somewhere else after golfing. Taking into account that the main road is 3 miles plus from the main road to the clubhouse. (if hiking or driving). I never thought about what I needed to bring or what I needed to leave until I came to the Cancun Country club. the inevitable is here as the end of my playdate that has not started.

I have tried every trick and tip know to golf but all that I had to put to rest. The real golf academy is here. everyone here had a personal instructor. It seems I've been down this road before. but I always end up back where I started (cannot teach an old dog new tricks). and will someone please tell me what time it is. Is it mountain time, pacific time or eastern time. I am 2 hours early for everything I do. At the practice range, an Iguana is in front of me and one behind me one to the left. I just calm down and relax and hit my drive. My best drive ever. I wish we had Iguanas back home. Now the weather is sunny all year and when it rains it comes in bunches and the rain is far and in between. puts a hurting on the grass. that´a good trade-off on leaves to block my fairway shot. That extroverted golf-style is here amazing that´s Cancun Country Club.

Former TPC Cancun worth playing if getting a deal

El Tinto is the former TPC Cancun. I’d played it a few years ago and was curious whether it was kept up after leaving the TPC network.

It is a solid test in very nice shape with a handful of interesting holes. One gripe is the 9th and 18th are among the best holes but are virtually identical (c’mon Nick Price!). It was uncrowded on Christmas Eve which made for a smooth round. The range is not maintained well and the balls are an embarrassment for a high end resort course. There is a very good short game practice area where you can hit shots as long as 80-90 yards. I brought my own clubs but my playing partners rented and their sets were adequate but not nice. Compare that to the new set of Titleists I used when the course was TPC Cancun.

I got a deal for $112 on tee off.com to play around 11:30. I believe the rack rate is about $155. In terms of value, I was glad to pay what I paid for the experience. All things being equal, El Tinto is not as nice as Riviera Cancun or Puerto Cancun. But those tend to be a bit more expensive (with Puerto Cancun being less expensive than Riviera Cancun but not quite as nice).

Bottom line: very good option while visiting Cancun and worth checking out for the right price.

Nice course, but not the greens

Was staying at the secrets resort and they offered free round of play at 2 courses. Cancun CC was the one I chose.
Fairways were nice, but the greens needed some work with the bare spots.
The clubs for renting looked like 10yrs + old or donated from a yard sale. Had to mix & match to get a 52 & 62 degree wedges.
Here is where they get you -
Free round from the resort - $0
But cart fee was $75
Club rental was $40, though they tried to get me to pay $50.
Taxi both ways - $50 (incl tip)
Ran into another couple playing who had the same complaints.
Not worth $115 for a round. Myrtle Beach has much better courses for less.
I brought my own shoes, balls & tees and paid $4 for a small bucket to practice at the range.

Excellent course reasonable price

When you have never played a course before at a location you are at for the first time, you rely on the reviews to make your decisions. You have to learn how to interpret them. When someone says the traps are too deep and hurt your score, most likely they always have trouble. In the sand. When someone says the tees are too far from the path they are probably older and so on. So thank you to the players who wrote solid reviews about this course. It is challenging and plays fair. The greens were excellent although they just fertilized them which required you to constantly clean your ball, a minor inconvenience. The course is well kept although I would have liked to see more colorful vegetation to add to the ambiance. The traps were not as deep as one of the reviews stated. The sand was soft and excellent texture, no crushed coral or stone to ruin your clubs. They pick you up and take you back to your lodging as a nice courtesy. Bottom line, play it, you'll have a great time.

Great test of golf at a great price

The course is fair, well maintained and very reasonably priced - talk to jack at the reception
Played my round in 3 hours
Really recommend it

Good weather

special experience

Never played on a course with such huge bunkers. If you hit wou, you can forget a good score...
Nice scenery with a lot of colorfull birds and other animals.
A cart is included an needed (my GPS said I drove 14 Km for a course of 7Km).
Pitty that the 19th hole was closed. I was directly drive back to my hotel...

Excellent weather

Very challenging, fairways need attention.

I played this course on my birthday with my girlfriend driving the cart for me. It was a very enjoyable day.
The facilities are new and several areas are still under construction. The driving range was some distance from the cart path and the practice green was immature and had not been mowed that day. The ride to the first tee was scenic and enjoyable. Tee areas are well marked and level. This is a long, difficult course no matter what tees you decide to play. I was a little surprised that the fairways were not "perfect" or what I thought a TPC course would be, there is grass but, I did fine some bare spots in the fairway. the bunkers and putting surface was immaculate and the greens rolled true. If you saw a break that's where the putt went. Amazing layout, lots of fun to play.
The staff was great but, for the price I felt the food and drinks should have been included as other courses in this area do.
Overall, a great round at a great course, a few tweaks/improvements and it will be amazing!

Cancún, Quintana Roo