2.2
1.3

Type Public/Municipal
Baylands Golf Links

Year Built 2018
Architect Forrest Richardson (2018)

Credit Cards Accepted Visa, Mastercard, American Express

Commented on 06/30/2022

Thank you for taking the time to review our course. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Commented on 10/06/2022

Thanks for sharing your opinion. Our new superintendent has the course in fantastic condition and if you are looking for value check out the daily deals.

Commented on 06/21/2022

Thank you for taking the time to share your opinion. We hope to see you again and have the opportunity to improve.

Too expensive for what it is

Overall the layout of this course is pretty easy, wide fairways, mostly flat. It would be a good track to walk if it wasn't for the price. The course condition is pretty good and usually the greens are in great shape. That being said, the price is absolutely bonkers. There are plenty of other similar difficulty courses in good condition in the area for half the price.

Commented on 03/15/2022

Thank you for sharing your review. We look forward to improving your experience.

$$$$$

Greens in good shape. $143 to play before 3pm (very unlikely to finish 15 holes never mind 18) is crazy money for what this course offers. Very slow, marshals non existent.

Commented on 03/28/2022

Hello Steve,
Thank you for sharing. We're sorry that you had a negative experience. I'd like for you to contact us directly (ask for GM) so that we can make this up to you.

Commented on 03/02/2022

Thank you for your feedback. We're glad you found the greens in good shape. Very sorry you weren't able to complete your round. Please contact us for additional action.

fair course set-up, but this is a pet farm

Played the course on a weekday. Pace of play was very slow. A dog kept running up on us while we were hitting shots. The dog belonged to another golfer in proximity to us and was chasing rabbits, geese, squirrels, etc. No marshall the entire time we were on the course. Told the pro shop when we finished our round. They said dogs are allowed on the course and acted like it was no big deal. If you want a zoo-like atmosphere where the animals run free, then this is the place for you. If you want to play golf, there are better, less expensive options

Overpriced

Nice course that was redone several years ago but, boy, are they proud of it. Ridiculously expensive for what it is. You can play any public course within a 75-mile radius at a much better value. The links card used to be a decent value when they would give everyone in the foursome the cardholder rate. That is no longer true.

Commented on 03/02/2022

Thank you for your feedback. Glad to hear you enjoyed the course. By the way, we do offer a frequent player discount card that can dramatically lower the green fee.

Commented on 01/06/2022

We're sorry you didn't enjoy your experience. We strive to deliver an exceptional and fun experience for all.

Had a lot of fun here with a friend. Great links course with wide open fairways. Greens are fast! This is easily one of my favorite courses in the Bay Area. Fun but challenging.

Commented on 10/12/2021

We’re thrilled to hear you had a positive experience. We’d love to learn more about what we did to earn it!

Slow (S-L-O-W-W-W) pace of play

Pace of play is often horribly slow, even on weekdays. As a regular customer, I've frequently spoken about the slowness with several employees. It turns out Baylands' (OB Sports') director Matthew Malloy prohibits their marshals/rangers from trying to keep a reasonable pace of play. The marshals are not allowed to say anything to the slow groups that are holding up the rest of the course. NOTHING. Apparently Malloy/OBS thinks having active marshals would result in bad experiences for the people in the slow group... but in reality all of the players BEHIND the slow group are actually the ones who end up having bad experiences due to the excruciatingly slow pace of play. It's just a really poor management decision by Malloy and OBS executives. I dread playing there knowing that a 5+ hour round is very likely.

Commented on 04/28/2022

I can attest they have done a 180 degree turn on this policy. Unfortunately it went from lax enforcement of pace of play, to draconian enforcement. One of their marshals, Jim, came up to several people in our group and very rudely told us we were playing too slowly, stupidly did NOT suggest ways we could speed up (ready play, skip a hole, etc), was just interested in verbally attacking us, and then with the third person in our group he approached, got physically aggressive. The most unprofessional experience I've had on a golf course in 40 years. Management refunded out green fees to try to make it right, but the memory still remains, my friends now refuse to play here, and this marshall is still employed here and still unfriendly at best.

Commented on 10/10/2021

Thanks for the info about slow play. Given the fee amount and then you add slow play... I think I'll pass for now.

Commented on 09/17/2021

Thank you for the review, I appreciate you bringing this to my attention. While we do struggle at times with pace of play on busy days, I assure that prohibiting staff from identifying and managing slow play is simply not true. In fact, additional resources were added to the budget this year to increase the staff presence on the course for this very reason. It is one of our top priorities for the operation as we value our players time and know that pace of play is directly tied to the overall experience and value. I am not sure where the miscommunication and misinformation has come from, but I would certainly like to discuss this with you personally. I can assure you that what you were told is the exact opposite to the actual operational direction for the team. Please contact me mmolloy@obsports.com and we can set up a time to discuss this further. Again, thank you for your review and I look forward to speaking with you.

Excellent Course!

Really enjoyed my 1st trip to Bayland’s Golf Links.
You need every club in your bag to get around
this course. Course is maintained perfectly.
Hats off to the grounds crew & greenskeeper.
I’m visiting from Las Vegas. Definitely will be back.

Good layout, Good challenge

We played on a very warm day, which created a 20 MpH wind that seems common here. The course was interesting, with well-bunkered holes and wide fairways consistent with the windy conditions. The greens were also interesting, large, and featuring tiers and rolls that were intimidating without being unfair.

The only complaint ID have is that it was somewhat hard to interpret the holes without a yardage book or a clear picture of the yardages. And perhaps they have that available, but my late arrival prevented me from figuring it out. Take the time to find that (or buy it in the pro shop) and you will have a fun and interesting challenge to enjoy.

Great design. Ok condition.

I'd consider giving 5 stars except for goose poop everywhere. Excellent greens, tees, fairways.

Cost

Don’t know why thru Golf Now the cost is 88 but the check in staff said if we would have only paid 50? Not a good reason to use Golf Now?

Almost a really nice experience

Baylands opened as a new design from the old Palo Alto Municipal course. It is a welcome change and addition to the region. Baylands opened to some fanfare a couple of years ago. Upon opening the course clearly suffered from significant issues that remain but that hopefully can be mitigated or eliminated over time.
1) Geese. Geese droppings are all over the place and unavoidable. It is disgusting and a real problem that distracts from the experience and I never would pay the course “rack rate” just on this factor alone. The City and their contractors were supposed to commit to Geese mitigation strategies esp since the course is next to the airport. Those efforts either dont exist or are not effective.
2) Construction and maintenance. Clearly the City and the firms responsible for building the course and doing the “grow in” had some significant issues that have left portions of the course in bad shape already.
3) Design. Overall the design is above average but not really good, and hardly a “links” experience. Too many blind shots into greens. There is, unbelievably, a downhill par-3 that is a blind tee shot. Several of the Par-5s are very weak and boring. . Several of the green complexes are woefully “under-designed” and some are woefully overwrought.
4) Staff in general are very pleasant but several challenges need to be addressed: inadequate Starter and Ranger staffing to facilitate pace of play. Policies prohibiting single golfers even during afternoon, twilight play.
5) Rates. Comparing to other courses and experiences, this design and course is a $50-$70 green fee course. This course and experience is not a $80+ value. Good rates are available on a limited basis if you buy an annual “links card”

In the positive side the current staff and management in general are quite pleasant. This facility has been improved from the old parkland muni course it once was. The bent grass greens are in great shape and roll nicely.

Greatly improved over the old Palo Alto Muni

The new Baylands is a marked improvement over the old Palo Alto Muni. The layout is better and the green complexes are fantastic. The only negative is fairway condition: they are bare in some spots and many lies end up similar to what a lie in an old divot is like. That being said, I enjoy playing there for the challenge of the new greens, and their great chipping/putting practice area.

Mountain View, California
Los Altos, California
Redwood City, California
Cupertino, California
Cupertino, California
HALF MOON BAY, CA | Enjoy 2 nights' accommodations at The Ritz-Carlton Half Moon Bay and 2 rounds of golf at Half Moon Bay Golf Links.
HALF MOON BAY, CA | Enjoy 1 night's accommodation at Half Moon Bay Lodge and 2 rounds of golf at Half Moon Bay Old Course & Half Moon Bay Ocean Course.
SAN FRANCISCO, CA | Enjoy 2 nights' accommodations at Hotel Kabuki and 2 rounds of golf at Harding Park & Presidio Golf Club.
SAN FRANCISCO, CA | Enjoy 4 nights’ accommodations at Fairmont San Francisco and 4 rounds of golf at TPC Harding Park, Presidio Golf Course, and Half Moon Bay Golf Links-Old & Ocean Courses.
MONTEREY, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Embassy Suites by Hilton and 3 rounds of golf at Poppy Hills Golf Course, Black Horse Golf Course & Del Monte™ Golf Course.