Year Built 1990
Architect Karl Litten

Credit Cards Accepted VISA, MasterCard, Discover Welcomed

Dinner 10

A Key Piece in the Area's Golf Puzzle

The Crystal River area in Florida has been a vacation lover’s paradise for many years, and for a variety of reasons. Water lovers have their pick: scalloping, scuba diving, fishing kayaking, or taking a refreshing swim with the oh-so-adorable manatees. Outdoor enthusiasts can choose from activities such as hiking, biking, birding, and horseback riding. If you prefer to stay indoors, there are several art galleries, museums, as well as the performing Arts Center of Citrus County. So much to do.

A popular outdoor sport that seems to be underrated in this part of the state is golf. That’s very surprising because the area offers several private, semi-private, and daily fee facilities with distances ranging from executive length to PGA TOUR length. There is something here for all levels of golfer.

Twisted Oaks Golf Club is a daily fee facility that is a must-play if you are new to or visiting the area. Course owner Tommy Lyman has been in the golf business a long time and knows how important it is to live up to your clientele’s expectations. “Most of the golf courses in the area have given up on overseeding,” Lyman says, “to them, it’s become an unnecessary expense.” Lyman does not see it that way. “A good portion of our golfers in the winter are snowbirds and they expect to see green fairways, tee boxes, and lush greens when they come down here.”

In addition to playing on green surfaces year-round, Twisted Oaks has a lot to offer daily fee golfers. With only a few exceptions the greens are visible from the tees and the course is in great shape. There is a fair amount of elevation change – especially for Florida – and the course is very playable for every level of golfer. Several risk/reward opportunities will most likely yield a better score after you’ve played the course at least once.

The 6th hole is one of those unseeable greens. Calling it a dogleg right just doesn’t do this hole justice; it’s more like a right turn. It’s also one of those holes that if you know how to play it you can score well. From the White tees, it’s a 431-yard par 5 and requires about a 200-yard tee shot to the corner of the dogleg. The next time I play it I will hit a driver off the tee over the trees on the corner which should leave a mid to long-iron into the green and a good score. As long as you can find the ball after your tee shot, you’ll have an opportunity to score well here.

While you can certainly get a good meal at any one of these courses, Crystal River has a restaurant that can’t be missed, especially if you’re a seafood lover. The Seafood Seller is owned by Jimmie Stoltz and his wife, Sue Gerzel. Jimmy hails from Baton Rouge, Louisiana, and has brought a little bit of that Cajun flair to the area. Sue is from Baltimore, MD, so she knows a little something about seafood too! You can order all types of seafood, everything from Louisiana crawfish to oysters, littleneck clams, and a variety of fresh fish. I went with the steamed king crab legs with Cajun seasoning, just the right amount of spice. If it swims in the water and you can eat it, the Seafood Seller has it. They also have a full liquor bar with several local and imported beers on tap.

The greens were in below average condition and some tee boxes need some grass. I do like the layout very much and enjoy traveling to twisted oaks .

Bumpy greens

We love playing this course was a little bumpy on the greens since they just put sand down A week ago the course drains nicely

Twisted Oaks

They had a snafu with the greens this week, apparently the top dressing they put down on the greens got all washed away with the drenching rains we had this week so rehab was ongoing to restore what Mother Nature screwed up as a result the greens were much slower as u can imagine. I'm sure it'll be fine in a week. Still playable though

Commented on 11/06/2021

Thank you for playing and rating our golf course. You are correct with your weather assessment. They have recovered and are looking good. Hope you get a chance to play again soon.

Really fun course

I love playing this course.
Tee boxes need work
Greens decent.
Fairways excellent
Range horrible. No grass
Good practice chipping and putting area

Commented on 11/06/2021

Thank you for rating our golf course, Your feedback is important to us and we are working on the deficient areas.

Commented on 10/28/2021

Thank you for playing and rating our golf course. We appreciate your comments and support.

Visitor outing

I really like TO. However, I brought 3 out of town guests to play and was very disappointed to find that fairway sprinklers were on almost the whole round. This was very poor.

Commented on 10/28/2021

Please accept our apology for your disappointment. It is the time of the year for overseeding and we try our best to notify our players of the inconvenience they may encounter. We send out emails to everyone in our database beginning 2 weeks before the overseeding along with signage in the Golf Shop and Grill. I'm sorry that you weren't informed and hope you will return to experience the results of overseeding.

Wonderful Round!

Recently moved to area from Western PA. The gentle rolling hills on this course reminiscent of our courses up north. Very well maintained condition and very player friendly. Staff at Pro Shop and Grill were very welcoming and friendly. We will be regular return golfers here.

Commented on 10/19/2021

Welcome to Citrus County. Thank you for playing and rating Twisted Oaks. We appreciate your comments and support and look forward to you becoming a regular player here.

Best course around & best for the buck

Course is always in very good condition, awesome layout & very scenic & challenging. Only 1 bad green on the back side & that's very close to back of the green in a small area.some kind of fungus, It's almost repaired.
Great friendly staff, good food & reasonable prices on everything. Pace of play has always been great for me.

Commented on 10/28/2021

Thank you very much for playing and rating our golf course. Your comments make our efforts worthwhile. Thanks again.

Commented on 10/19/2021

Thank you for playing Twisted Oaks. We appreciate your support.

Commented on 10/14/2021

Thank you for playing and rating our golf course. We appreciate your support and look forward to your next visit.

Commented on 10/14/2021

Thank you for playing Twisted Oaks. Thank you for your support.

Great day at Twisted Oaks

Course was in excellent shape. Plenty of grass in the fairways and just enough grass in the rough. Greens were even. Took a friend out on the course for his first time on the course. He thought the back side had more character.
Great day out.

Commented on 10/19/2021

We appreciate your playing and rating our golf course. Thank you for your comments and support.

Value!

I am new to Florida golf. I am a Social member of Citrus Hills. I find Twisted Oaks a superior choice for the money to my own group of courses. I am not a skilled golfer, but I find this course a joy to play! I play with more skilled friends and they are complimentary about it as well.

Commented on 10/19/2021

Welcome to Florida. Thank you for playing and rating our golf course. Your comments and support are very appreciated.

Great Day

Check in was very easy and we didn't have too wait very long to tee off. The course is in very good condition. The pace of play was very good. we completed our round in a little over 3 hours. Enjoyed the day.

Commented on 10/14/2021

Thank you for playing and rating Twisted Oaks. We're glad to hear you enjoyed your round and our facility. Thank you for your support.

Commented on 10/14/2021

Thank you for playing Twisted Oaks. We appreciate your support.

Great Layout, But Conditions Deteriorating

I continue to like the layout. But the tee boxes remain terrible and some of the greens have deteriorated. If you don't water the tees and address the greens, they will continue to deteriorate. The tee boxes should be rebuilt and leveled.

Course is always in pretty good shape. Some of the tee boxes were in rough shape. Couple of greens could use some work but overall good shape

Commented on 10/07/2021

Thank you for playing and rating our golf course. We are experiencing turf problems in some select areas and we are working to improve the conditions. Thank you for the feedback.

Overall solid course

Everything was great but some of the greens were a little ate up. Overall great course for the price

Commented on 10/07/2021

Thank you for playing Twisted Oaks. Thank you for the feedback. Please visit us again.

Beverly Hills, Florida
Beverly Hills, Florida
Citrus Springs, Florida
Inverness, Florida
ORLANDO, FL | Enjoy 2 nights' accommodations at Mission Inn Resort & Club and 2 rounds of golf at Mission Inn Resort & Club - El Campeon & Las Colinas Courses.
ORLANDO, FL | Enjoy 2 nights' accommodation at The Lodge at Orange County National and 3 rounds of golf at Celebration Golf Club, Orange County- Crooked Cat and Orange County- Panther Lake.
ORLANDO, FL | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at SpringHill Suites or TownePlace Suites and 3 rounds of golf at Celebration Golf Club, Orange County National, and Walt Disney World Golf.
ORLANDO, FL | Enjoy 1 nights' accommodation at Bay Hill Lodge and 1 round of golf at Bay Hill Club.
ORLANDO, FL | Enjoy 2 nights' accommodation at Tuscana Resort Orlando and 3 rounds of golf at Disney’s Magnolia Golf Course, Palm Golf Course and Lake Buena Vista Golf Course.