Style Parkland
Macdonald Portal Hotel, Golf & Spa - Premier Course
Powered by GolfNow.co.uk

Year Built 1990

Golf School Academy Yes - "Lee Westwood Golf School"
Golf Simulator Yes

Clubhouse, Meeting Facilities, Banquet Facilities, Spa

Fitness

Nice condition course!

Well presented and challenging course. Tee boxes in good condition. Fairways in good condition and greens in great condition. Bunkers need a good rake but play it as it lies!
Nice friendly staff. Young lad in the pro shop very helpful. Nice waitress service too.
I would both definitely play this course again and fully recommend it also.

Excellent layout with friendly staff and welcoming. Only let down was the greens were very slow which I was expecting them to be fast as not been in use for a long period of time.

Course

The course was muddy and water logged in places and shouldn't have been open in my opinion. Some points of the course where that wet we nearly fell over on several occasions.
I would like to play it again in the summer as I think it would be a fantastic course when it is dry

Overbooked. Really slow. Poor Condition.

Really disappointed with the course conditions for August, some fairways were as thick as the first cut and it was extremely wet and cut up by buggies. The first tee box is a mud patch. We were told when we arrived that a society had gone out and were slow, it took 3hr 20mins for the first 9 holes...nuff said!
This has the potential to be a great course - but I won’t be back in the near future...

Unknown

Felt the course needed a cut. Front nine is squashed in and the second is long and difficult. Odd use of red stakes on some holes but not others was misleading and unrewarding. Could be a lot better. Greens were untended and slow with bumps. Lots of very short or super long holes.

2nd time this year

Played about 3 weeks and my opinion is still the same.Great value,layout and condition.
No complaints and highly recommend

Some great holes, but poor condition.

Very hilly course making it nice and interesting, some great par 3’s and some good dog-leg holes. Course was in poor condition; long fairways and tee boxes, spongey and very slow greens.

Poorly maintained

I was looking forward to playing this course for the first time in 8 years. I elected for the Premier course as I remember this being the superior course and a great challenge.

I was disappointed to find the greens to be so poor, the fairways like playing a field and the general course to be so badly presented.

It seems as though the course has been massively neglected and I will not be returning.

Great value for money,course in good condition,played it on a glorious day weather wise also, which always helps, speed of play fantastic , great views around course , in my opinion it’s better then the championship course by a long way,
If you can get to play this course for 20-25 pounds ,it’s a no brainier .
Our group will be back again and would recommend to other also.

Overpriced and under maintained

I was a member of this course for many years before Mcdonald bought it. Its a naturally beautiful course, with great features. However I gave up membership as Mcdonald do not consider maintenance of the course important and I've watched it deteriorate over the years.
After the CV19 break I took some friends to play as we were desperate to just play golf.

Huge disappointment, as the greens, with the exception of a few were a mess. Untreated, not cut, bumpy, etc. The general course maintenance is just poor. Unsurprising given they just don't have enough green staff. Understand that CV19 places restrictions, however no facilities whatsoever. No toilets, drinks, course cards, reception staff. Appalling service if you have paid more than £30 to play.

If they don't want to invest in the course that's fine, but don't charge more than £30 to play.

The course could be amazing, but it's not. A very poor experience.

Not worth the money

I've played this course before and it was in fantastic condition, but this time it was awful.

Firstly there was no club pro on hand and we have to pick up scorecards left on a table in the bar.

The practice green was in poor condition which was a shame as last time it was immaculate.

Once out on the course we soon realised we had wasted our money.
Really the course should have been closed. Tee shots we plugging straight in to the fairways, there was so much standing water in places that the ball would just stop dead. A lot of the pathways were unusable due to the amount of mud and water running down them, it was dangerous in certain parts.

2 or 3 of the greens were really good but the others were poor to use. The ball again would hit pools of water and stop dead.

It took 2 of us over 4 hours to play 12 holes due to constantly having to wait for 2 groups in front us to tee off, there was another 2 ball behind us who we felt sorry for but they walked off after playing 9 holes.

I'd accept that due to the rain we've had lately, the course wouldnt be in immaculate condition but when they're still charging £30 per person you expect more.

The bunkers were like clay and a good amount of the fairways were cordoned off in parts, then you would find that either side of the protected area was like a muddy swamp up to your ankles.

I really liked this course last time I played here but after playing today its left a bad taste and I'm not sure I would pay to play here again.

Lovely when the work is done

i do like the course. Just need some care on them greens

Good challenge

Played a casual game on Saturday afternoon. Friendly greeting from the pro, he was happy to run through the course etc.got out straight away, but let a member go ahead so we could relax. We weren’t troubled by anyone. The course was ok.. fairways and greens were fine. The rough was fair and not to penal.
Would recommend and will be back.

Poor attitude by staff

@MacdonaldHotels appalling service from the staff at Tarpley golf club “just get on with it” I was told, when asking if there was anything we can do to speed up a six hour round of golf. I asked after the ninth if I could come back to play the back nine another time or have a refund. Simple question to see if there’s anything They could of done. With Face like funder by the staff was told to “I don’t get paid to be here, but Iv got to wait till everyone is in, so just get on with it”! Would NOT recommend this course

Good Course

Apart from 2-3 of the greens which were a bit potholed, lovely course and beautiful views over Cheshire. Couple of quirky holes, interesting layout.

April round

Had a 1244 tee off time but as the course was quiet, told to go off as and when. Course in great condition, greens slightly pot marked but ran true and fast with the fairways being well kept and nice tight lies.

Panoramic views on way round, with some really testing driving holes.
Can’t complain about anything and will be recommending to friends and will return.

Suffering from lack of upkeep

Seems its being left to the winter elements, wasnt tidy in places where it could be.

Tarporley, Cheshire West and Chester