The Links at Challedon

Year Built 1996
Fairways Rye Grass
Architect Brian Ault (1996)

Dress code Proper golf attire required.

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in Maryland (2017 #15)

Entertaining Clients 9

They have no right to be charging what they’re charging when all the tea boxes are in terrible shape and the greens are not good nobody fixes their divots. I paid $69 to play there and I think it was it worth about $40. I love that course I’ve played there plenty but the course needs work and they should be giving discounts.

Commented on 09/12/2021

We continue to make improvements and we’re sorry you feel this way.
Discounts are offered at times, and we wish guys fixed their divots and ball marks as well.

Commented on 09/14/2021

Thanks U31!
It’s not easy to keep the Course and all that makes a great experience good, but our Team works hard, and we all appreciate your Review and support!!
Thanks and please come back soon!!
GM Dave!

Needs work all around

The course was in fairly bad shape. The Bermuda tee boxes we not looking well and several holes didn't have the normal tee boxes. It looks like the are converting the tee boxes to Bermuda? The fairways were acceptable but could have been better. The rough was, well, rough. Very thick due to recent rain. The greens were the worst. Very pot marked and well worn and slow. The green approaches and collars were overpopulated with crab grass. 50% of the bunkers were unplayable, washed out down to the underlayment. Very disappointing conditions all around. We were advised by the starter to place our food order for the turn on the seventh hole. So we called in three hot dogs and one BLT wrap. When we got the clubhouse for the food, it was not ready. I was first handed a sandwich, not a wrap. They took that back and offered me a chicken salad wrap. I DID NOT ORDER CHICKEN SALAD WRAP, almost 45 minutes prior!!!! This place needs help at every turn. It used to be a well maintained challenge. Now it is just a disgrace. Not going back any time soon, had to drive 40 minutes past a dozen other courses to get there.

Commented on 09/12/2021

Sorry riebep, not sure you’re being totally fair, given the tough weather we had just prior to your round, and certainly your experience at the turn is a drag.
If you’re of the mind to give us another shot, I’m sure you’ll see a difference.

Commented on 09/12/2021

Thanks for coming out, please come regularly to see our continued improvements.

Commented on 09/12/2021

Appreciate your feedback and hope to see you again soon.
Glad we’re past the hot wet weather.

Poor Experience

I played Challedon today with a 12:30pm tee time. The tee boxes are full of weeds, the fringe has weeds and the greens have divot marks from people taking full iron swings and then filling them with the repair sand. The staff was friendly until we were in the middle of the fairway on the 18th and told we had to stop playing for 30 minutes by a young lady yelling from a golf cart. She was given the task of telling the remaining golfers that they made a mistake and booked golfers during a wedding by accident. I asked to speak with the manager but she looked involved in the wedding and I didn't want to be rude with wedding guests around so I let it go. Even if there was a mistake make by the booking staff, I would be more understanding if it were communicated differently and in a somewhat apologetic manner. I will not be going back and I have communicated the poor experience to a number of local golfers to make sure that they don't make the same mistake.

Commented on 08/22/2021

Very unfortunate situation Dk, our apologies.
We will be in touch to work out some compensation to make up for it.
As far as Course imperfections, yea, there’s a few, but most Reviews recognize that conditions are always really good and getting better, if not perfect.

Not Worth It

This course makes you pre-pay, which is absolutely terrible since it’s hard to find people to commit to that.

The tee boxes are in terrible condition

The starter does not enforce pace of play

The greens are in terrible condition

The staff is friendly and they have plenty of great amenities. Also, the course is challenging and there are some very nice houses.

I’m glad I played here to add it to the list. But, I will never play here again unless they lower the cost and don’t make customers prepay

Commented on 08/09/2021

Sorry you feel this way Pal. Thousands of golfers prepay, members everywhere prepay……anybody that wants to play just prepays, cancel with 24 hour online click. Simple and fair to all.
Otherwise great reviews tell the truth.
Hope you come back.

Mediocre for semi-private

Doesn’t seem to get the care you’d expect of a semi-private course. I suspect they’re leaning on the public tee times for revenue. Multiple members were driving carts right up to greens (which were full of hallmarks), fairways decent but plenty of divots not tended to, crab grass on many tee boxes. Didn’t live up to expectations unfortunately.

Commented on 07/29/2021

Sorry to hear that we didn't live up to your expectations! We do try to control access to greens surrounds with ropes and posts along the carts on the par threes and on many other holes. We do give out handicap flags to some of our older golfers that allows them to drive near the greens. We work on the fairway and tee divots everyday and regularly spray for weeds on the tees, fairways, greens and rough. We hope that you will give us another chance soon!

Commented on 07/29/2021

Wow! Really sorry and surprised your Round was slow! Members and all are expected to maintain pace, and usually do even on a busy Saturday!
We care about all golfers who visit. Please give us another shot?!?
GM Dave

Always a fun round with the boys

Played Challedon many times -- for a tee time in late July, the course is in better shape than most in the area. Pace was in 4 hours, staff always friendly, carts very nice and the beer always cold after the round (try the French Dip is hungry -- its the best). I've played all the courses in the area, Chally should be on everyone's list.

Commented on 08/20/2021

Thanks so much Tim, the Team is working hard to do their best and give you all a great value/experience!

Commented on 07/11/2021

Really appreciate the feedback PareMike, glad you made the trip!!
Come on back soon!
GM Dave.

Commented on 07/11/2021

Thanks for the great review MH!!
Please visit again soon!!

Unfriendly Staff

Played the course today 6/28/2021...Tee time 1040. Our 4some waited on every hole behind a slow 4some in front of us that had the entire course backed up. We called the shop on the 7th tee box..The ranger came out and very belligerently cursed and screamed at us for playing too fast. The ranger was way out of line....At the time there were 3 groups on the par 3 7th hole (we were on the green, two groups on the tee). Course was in fair shape...Fairways/tee boxes need cutting. Greens were soft and rolling about 7.

Commented on 06/28/2021

Totally inaccurate. 9 hole turns at just over 2 hours.
Sad that guys use this space to be unfair.
GM Dave.

sjpoorman9

First time playing this course since moving to the area and I really enjoyed the experience. Course was in great shape, and great layout. The greens were probably the best greens I’ve played on all year.

Commented on 05/28/2021

Really appreciate the Review SJ!!
Please visit soon, and bring your friends!!
Try the food too!

Thanks!
GM Dave

The only thing that was not up to par was the rain lol.

Commented on 05/28/2021

Promise it won't rain next time!!!!
Promise!
Thanks for making the drive!

Really?

I was told to go off the back because 3 Asian female players didn’t want company in my original tee time slot. Really?
So I essentially had to book twice for the same round, even though I purchased and paid for a time. Frustrating not knowing if I would be able to slip into a front nine tee time after the back and having to introduce myself to two different groups in the same day.
Really?

Commented on 05/16/2021

So sorry jreviere. Must have been a misunderstanding. We really try and honor everyone’s tee times and we’re especially sensitive to pace of play.
Please come back!

Commented on 05/12/2021

Spoilsbury!!!!!

Thank you so much for all those wonderful and hard earned STARS!!!!

Really appreciate your support.
GM Dave

Disappointed at bad behaviors of golfers and golf club

My friend and I showed up for our T time, 20 min in advance, just to be informed that our T time was canceled a week ago due to an event ,and our fee was refunded. The man at the proshop said if we wanted to play ,we had to wait for another hour, 3pm, to start our round, and it is $30/ person. After checking , we found NO email sent,and NO $ was refunded. We paid $78 fir 2 players. After being informed that what they said was not the truth, they want to comp us with a basket of balls to keep us entertained until 3pm. And did not say anything about the difference between $78 that we paid,and $60 ,which is the regular fee for the 3pm T time.
We decided to play at 3pm since we took the afternoon off from work. They said we would have NO body after hole #1. Well, that is not true. The EVENT players, turned around, played more holes in front of us in groups of 8 for 2 holes before I called the proshop to complain.
You all know who you are!!
We never had such bad experience golfing ever, especially such poor conduct from golfers and golf club management team. Should this go unnoticed? The course is absolutely very nice, just the people. It is SHAMEFUL!!

Commented on 05/06/2021

What also is "Shameful", is that you failed to mention, that we apologized for a slow moving Outing and offered you a free Round, Free range balls, and free drinks........most golfers know playing behind an Outing is risky, but we do apologize for any mis-communication.

Glad you recognize the course is looking and Playing Great!

Worth the drive

I was looking forward to playing a round at this course but the drive was a hurdle. Very glad I played it. Course was in excellent shape and the staff very friendly and accommodating. Looking forward to playing there again soon.

Commented on 04/22/2021

Really glad you made the drive! We're proud of what we've built here, so please come back and tell your friends!

Mount Airy, Maryland