A fall view from Chemung Hills Golf Club

Chemung Hills Golf Club

Year Built 1927

always the same

I have said it many this times. This course is a GREAT course to play all thing considered. A great value for the money.

Friday Round

The course was very nice and the pace was perfect. We were just disappointed that the restaurant/bar does not open until sometime around noon.

Pace of play

Great track and value for the money . I get that it is owned by the township and the more the merrier but they have a hidden gem here and need to make tee times 10 minutes apart versus 8 minutes and have a Ranger encourage a 4 hour 15 minute pace of play

Needs signs

Course is in good shape. Cart path is in good condition. Need better and more signs between holes so the newbie to the course will not get lost.

First time playing, became a favorite.

I've made a habit of playing courses I've not played the last few years; fifteen in just the last year alone. Chemung popped into my top five of all the courses I've played in Southeast Michigan. As is my preference when I play a new course, I had a early morning tee time and played alone. I was the first one out on the course.

First, the staff. They were outstanding. Very helpful getting me off on the right track. The two gentleman in the clubhouse were on their game at 6:45 AM. Each and every guy working with the groundskeeping staff were courteous and professional. And there were a lot of them. I would estimate I encountered six to seven different guys during the round. Their hard work shows. When I made the turn and drove past the first tee again to get to the tenth, the starter was there greeting those starting out. Loved that I saw him with a clipboard, looking at groups. You'd be surprised how many times I've seen a starter sitting in a cart drinking coffee, not paying attention at all.

The course: Amazing. Lots of great elevation changed and sweeping dogleg. It's heavily wooded, but there are clear landing areas that are fair and achievable with a well placed drive. I love that you must think the course. Many times I left driver in the bag and played percentages. The tees were probably the weakest part of the conditions, and I'd rate them a strong seven or eight out of ten. Loved that they had well designed options. I played the whites, and the blue and black that bracketed them would make it a challenge for every level of golfer. The greens were in fantastic shape. A bit on the slow side from the recent heavy rains, I had to work to make myself get the ball to the hole early on. They were smooth, as and held approach shots of different distances. I found myself fixing a lot of my ball marks. The last couple of places I played the greens were hard... never had to take divot tool out of the bag. But it was also nice to see that the people that are golfing there get it. I didn't have too many others to fix. (I was taught to not only fix my ball marks, but find another one somebody neglected and fix it too. Refreshing that I had trouble finding that second one. And it had nothing to do with being the first one off. The only bad green was 16, which had an area under repair they're trying to resolve. Most courses would ignore it. I loved that it was roped off and getting attention. The fairways were excellent. Didn't get much roll because of the recent rain, yet I never slipped, or took a huge divot. Really nice.

I also loved the little things. Clean carts with covers you can pull down to protect your clubs if it rains. A ball and club washer mounted right to the cart that saw a lot of use. Paved cartpaths with no cracks or potholes. Very well marked directions to the next tee, which is crucial with the layout. There were a few places where the transition from cartpath to gravel going into a fairway or rough was a bit uneven. Could use some more gravel. But I never felt I was in danger of driving through a puddle of mud. Seriously, any critiques are really nitpicking.

I cannot speak to the pace of play. I made it through in 2 1/2 hours. I can imagine a round in the middle of the day on a weekend taking 5 hours if there are a lot of inexperienced golfers on the course. It's not an easy course by any stretch. There are some holes that will confound beginnings while excited those that have played a long time. Number 11 is a prime example. 130 yard pat three. From the tee, you cannot see the green. You could only see the top eighteen inches of the flag. But, that's enough for a range finder. I trusted the distance, hit it pin high to seven feet and made birdie. When you look back at the tee from behind the green you can see it's actually a fair hole. The green is a bowl that collects, so it's all about the shot. I loved it.

And the course. I'll definitely be back with some of my buddies!

Another fun round.

We a great time. Many holes have elevated tees with great views. Many tee positions for all levels, I played from the whites and was challenged enough. Some holes the blue tees are way back. The greens were really nice and smooth. I will defiantly come back!

Hilltoppin' in Howell

What a cool layout of a course for the value! The rolling hills of the Chemung GC were the highlight of it all. Great views of the surrounding area including a cool view of a nearby NoWakeLake.

They start you at the tippy top of the hill at #1 and #10. So you pretty much start at the top, play down and turn back on the top. Very cool idea.

The downfall: HOLY MOLY IT WAS HARD AS A ROCK! If you hit the fairway it would add an extra 15-20 yards, if you miss the fairway...you're looking for it in the woods or long cut. Also, you better be flush with your wedges because I had 4 shots bounce of the greens. So hard.

All and all, super cool layout...Such an amazingly nice and knowledgeable Ranger at top and for the value... I defffff recommend it just to check out the views and layout if anything!

Commented on 06/22/2021

Thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is important to us. We will make note and we hope to see you back at Chemung Hills Golf Club!

Commented on 06/18/2021

Staff were great, just didn’t enjoy having to wait 10 mins to tee on every hole. We had three 4 balls in front of us, two people waiting behind constantly. We needed up finishing 9th and waited so long we asked to play the front 9 again, managed to get back on that and even then had to wait. Just seemed like they booked too many people! Course was fine and again staff were all good.

Commented on 06/18/2021

Hi, we appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We see you rated the course 1 star and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit. We take single star feedback very seriously at our course. You are welcome to comment further or reach out to our team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing Chemung Hills Golf Club.

CAPT. ROE'S REVIEW

COURSE IS A WELL-KEPT SECRET. CONDITIONS, HOSPITALITY, AND COSTS ARE EXTREMELY ATTRACTIVE. MY GROUP HAD RESISTED DRIVING HERE PREVIOUSLY FROM DETROIT BECAUSE IT IS A 40 MINUTE TRIP. AFTER I FORCED THEM TO PLAY THE COURSE, ALL RAVED THAT IT WAS TIME AND MONEY WELL SPENT. WE HAVE NOW PLAYED THE COURSE FOUR TIMES.

Hartland, Michigan
Hartland, Michigan
Pinckney, Michigan
Brighton, Michigan
Savor the marvelous destination that is Northern Michigan and enjoy up to 36 holes a day during the long summer days! Our Boyne golf package features exceptional flexibility and selection thanks to two of the state's finest multi-course golf resorts.
KOHLER, WI | Enjoy 2 nights’ accommodations at The American Club or Inn at Woodlake, and 3 rounds of golf at Blackwolf Run and Whistling Straits courses.
KOHLER, WI | Enjoy 3 nights’ accommodations at The American Club or Inn at Woodlake, and 4 rounds of golf at Blackwolf Run and Whistling Straits courses.
LAKE GENEVA, WI | Discover Lake Geneva’s premier must-visit destination at Geneva National Resort & Club. Located off the wooded slopes and shores of Lake Como, the semi-private Geneva National presents 54 holes of legendary golf designed by Arnold Palmer, Gary Player and Lee Trevino, along with on-course lodging at the Cottages & Suites at Geneva National.
NIAGARA FALLS, CAN | Enjoy 2 nights' accommodations at your choice of two hotels and 3 rounds of golf at Legends on the Niagara Battlefield and Usher's Creek courses, and Whirlpool.