Mallard Head Country Club
|Blue M: 73.3/126||400||480||225||400||385||577||208||370||390||3435||400||530||203||405||436||410||505||195||385||3469||6904|
|White M: 70.9/123||375||460||200||365||365||532||190||335||375||3197||365||505||185||380||398||380||480||187||367||3247||6444|
|Yellow M: 69.6/121 W: 75.3/130||365||420||190||355||355||520||185||325||365||3080||355||495||175||370||388||370||465||177||358||3153||6233|
|Red W: 71.1/124||330||400||166||320||320||442||153||305||270||2706||315||440||145||280||368||350||425||130||310||2763||5469|
Food & BeverageSnacks
Nice Muni with Poor Spring Course Conditions
Now, to start with it is March and NC has had a lot of rain so I expected it to be a bit wet. It really wasn't too bad (dryer than other courses).
My rating is really because of the bare bumpy fairways which is too bad because if you take away the poor fairways the layout is a nice challenge; including PAR 3 holes that were long. For example, Hole 7, forward tees, 163 yards all carry but you can par it with a good drive.
The greens were is fantastic shape so that was a major plus so given major credit to the grounds guys.
A few other observations:
( 2) The staff were very friendly and welcoming and let me play the front 9 twice because they didn't realize the men's league would be so backup.
(1) The vibe is defiantly "old school muni" (including gas golf carts). Not a bad thing but if you want the higher-end feel go to Mooresville Golf Course.
I would definitely play the course if I were here late spring or early fall to see if the fairways were in good shape because if the fairways were decent then the course would deserve four stars instead of three.
I always have issues with people who trash a perfectly acceptable municipal course, "Oh, my God, it's not Augusta!" Mallard Head is the type of course I grew up playing. Billy Hightower and I would get one of our parents to drop us off at the local muni in Richmond, Virginia, and we would pay the $6.00 green fees, walk, and play all day; I mean, all day. We would grab a couple of hot dogs after the first 18 and then play another 18 or even 27. Mallard Head has the typical muni problems; occasional clumps of crab grass in a fairway, a bad spot or two on a green, one grass rake per bunker; but it was a wonderful course for an informal day. At my age I can't putt any better on a Bermuda green than I could at Pebble Beach. I particularly loved the goat pasture that was next to the 15th fairway. It was like old times. And for $35.00 for BOTH of us for nine, I'll be back more than a few times.
1. Great condition. Not a 5 star but I gave it a 5 star based on condition of neighboring courses. This one is in great condition. Warrior, Skybrook, Highland Creek all are not even in the same category.
2. Great greens
3. Great tees
4. Ok range
5. great fairways
6. Bunkers ok
7. Prices borderline too much on weekends. But a competitive price. Just don't get greedy and go up in price as other courses have done.
1. We got there an hour early and they rushed us to first tee without giving us a chance to warm up. But a group did cancel so we took their spot.
2. I77. I am 10 mins from course but have to take i77. Took me twice as long due to traffic. Not to blame the course because they have no control but worth a mention. Stupid drivers wanting to stop on 77 to look at a bucket of water (Lake Norman). Its just water. Move on. The state really needs to do something. Its like that every day, all day. Again, stupid drivers not the course.
3. Again not the course' fault but worth mentioning. Do not hit balls at the new Par 3 driving range in Mooresville. First of all they don't have a par 3. Secondly, hitting on their range will definitely tear up a set of clubs. Huge rocks just beneath the surface that will certainly gouge your clubs. And not to mention they charge an arm and leg to hit balls that are from the 70s, very old. And their customer service stinks.
Again 2 out of the 3 cons do not belong to the course. But thought I would mention it since they are in the area. Great course. Will be my new home course as long as they keep it in good shape and don't increase their prices. Did I mention this course makes Warrior Golf Course in China Grove look like a cow pasture