Casperkill Golf Club in Poughkeepsie is situated in the heart of the Hudson River Highlands, surrounded by acres of lush, rolling countryside. The course wanders through stands of towering oak trees and circles a few tranquil ponds before moving along the banks of its namesake creek. The gently rolling hills provide the course with elevated tees and terraced greens. Robert Trent Jones designed the golf course in 1944. He created a traditional layout that fully utilizes all of the features of the scenic terrain. The course finishes with a player-friendly hole that offers a great opportunity for a birdie. There is a bunker in front of the green but if played smartly as a three-shot hole, golfers will be generously rewarded. In addition to the golf course, Casperkill also offers a driving range with multiple target greens and a large practice putting green with a chipping and bunker area.

Casperkill Golf Club

Year Built 1944

Carts Yes - $18

Dress code Collared shirts are required. No denim pants/shorts.

• Golf Advisor: Top Courses in New York (2016 #15)

Good classic course *

Good classic course and fun to play with the exception of 1 or 2 holes. Casperkill is always a great time. It's probably the course I play the most in the area because the mix of price, challenge, and conditions gives you the best value for your money. I would give it a 3.5 overall.

Greens aren't the fastest, but they're in pretty good shape for the price. A bit on the slower side so make sure not to read too much break. Fairways are usually pretty good. Never any bad spots, just not cut as tight as some other course in the area. Bunkers are a little firmer than some others in the area as well. All of these things are more than serviceable and make for a great day of golf.

Also, they have a pretty decent practice area to get you warmed up for your round. The range balls are a mix of old balls that were probably found all around the course, to actual range balls. All seem to be a little dead, so don't expect to see varying distances when warming up with each club. Good size putting green and nice little chipping area as well.

Here's my one beef with Casperkill. The tee boxes need some work. There are some holes where it's really difficult to even find level footing. Either the tee box is crowned, so you're left with the ball slightly above or below your feet. Or they place the tee markers on an up slope. If they leveled the tee boxes and gave them a little extra TLC, this place would be slightly more than a 4/5 for me.

I seem to be getting paired up with the same two people the past few times I've gone... Joe and Tina. If you get paired up with Joe and Tina, you're in luck because they are an awesome couple to play with. Super friendly and fun to be around on the course.

* I would give Casperkill an over 3.5 if the ratings allowed it, but I went with a 4.

Commented on 09/14/2021

Hello, We appreciate the review. You rated us 3-stars which means there is room to improve on your recent experience at Casperkill Golf Club. Let us know, in the comments, how and where you would like to see changes from the course. Thanks for the feedback!

Great Course After Huge Rains

We played one day after storm Henri hit. 6" of rain and this course was in excellent condition. Being that it was cart path only meant the GPS controlled carts would shut down, should you enter into forbidden areas. However, our carts were shutting down while on the cart path ! This of course slowed down play and added to the frustration of walking across fairways to hit our shots.

Always an enjoyable round

I like the course layout. Not the most challenging course but it’s not easy.

Commented on 08/10/2021

We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We see you rated the course 1 star and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit. We take single star feedback very seriously at our course. You are welcome to comment further or reach out to our team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing Casperkill Golf Club.

Great layout and always a challenge to play.

The fairways and greens are in great shape. There are large area that have crab grass in the rough that is very thick and difficult to hit out of. I’m sure Robert Trent Jones Sr didn’t include that in his design. We play relief with no penalty if our ball lands in such an area. USGA rules? No but!!!!!!!

Course ok

Course is women friendly with yardage. Greens were bumpy and slow. Too much goose poop on some holes.
Fairways were nice due to a lot of rain this year. Clubhouse and women’s room are a little dirty and need updates.

Commented on 08/11/2021

Thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is important to us. We will make note and we hope to see you back at Casperkill Golf Club!

Must play course in the area

This was my first time playing at this course. I strongly recommend this course. Fantastic course and you will not regret.

Disappointed Dutchess county resident golfer

This is my second time playing at Casperkill and the course itself is not a bad looking course. Unfortunately! My Bushnell 5 Rangefinder came up missing between the walk from the parking lot to the first hole. The only time I left my bag unattended was at the pro shop. I don’t expect for the item to be recovered but I was hoping that it would be turned in to lost and found. I don’t think I will be going back to Casperkill.

Commented on 09/18/2021

So it's their fault that you lost something and that's why you're not going back? Maybe you dropped it? Maybe you left on top of your car.

Commented on 07/26/2021

Hello, thank you for reviewing the course. We would like to apologize for your recent experience.

Please reach out to our management team at the pro shop, and thank you for choosing Casperkill Golf Club.

We hope to hear from you soon.

Don’t miss if you’re in the area

Just an outstanding course. Ups n downs, water and length what’s not to like. Greens are slow compared to others but that’s not a reason to pass on it.

Review a little unfair due to two days of rain. Traps were full of water and a lot of standing water on the course. Cart path only is tough for us because my playing partner is walking disabled. Ladies amateur tournament was just finishing up when we got there which put us about 10 minutes behind. This course is usually impeccable but today wasn’t the day. If it wasn’t a golf now round we probably would have played somewhere else when we found out it was cart path only

Pleasant Valley, New York