Located just northeast of Columbus, Chapel Hill Golf Course has a central location that makes it easily accessible. Its affordable rates make it doubly appealing. The course was designed with players of all skill levels in mind with four sets of tees and some fairways that are open and others that are carved from the forests. The layout tumbles across rolling hills that provide interesting elevation changes and scenic views of the surrounding countryside. There are water hazards coming into play on seven holes. There are some notably challenging holes including the par-4 ninth, but the seventh and 11th are the golf course's signature holes. Built on the site of the former Mount Vernon Bible College, the old chapel now provides a unique clubhouse for the course.

Chapel Hill Golf Course

Year Built 1996
Fairways Blue/Rye Grass
Greens Bent /Poa Annua Grass
Golf Season Year round. Weather permitting.
Architect Barry Serafin (1996)

Credit Cards Accepted VISA, MasterCard, Discover
Metal Spikes Allowed Alternative spikes only
Dress code Appropriate golf attire. No Tank Tops nor cut offs.

Snacks, Restaurant

This is the second time.

It opened after a long time, so I went there.
This course is one of my favorites.
The reason is that strategy is required to capture the course.
Today's score was 40-43.

Challenging

Greens were well maintained and extremely fast. I did lose 3 balls today but the leaves were bad.

Just a very nice course well taken care of and friendly staff. Nice place to spend and nice afternoon!

Fun round

The new golf carts did not have the gps set up yet, which was a little disappointing. Pace was slow but the course was full, so was to be expected. Condition was good and the layout is one of favorite.

Very disappointed today. After playing the front 9 we stopped in the clubhouse & the gentleman told us we needed to speed up a little. The course, (fairways) were covered with leaves & we had a hard time finding our balls due to that. We had a foursome & it took us 2 hrs to play the front 9 so on the back 9 we were not able to relax & enjoy our game, we will not be going back.

Rain out

Call your office yesterday evening(Wednesday the 28th)knowing that’s 2-3” of rain was coming but you stated I needed to call the day of the round for cancellation,so I called today but because it’s been raining for more than 11hours there was nobody at the course to answer the phone,,so now I must call you again tomorrow to receive the cancellation confirmation,I guess the phones could be down “due to the weather “ but that doesn’t mean we couldn’t play a around in a downpour, don’t most guys do that,Right..The phone calls have become overkill for something we knew was coming thanks to Hurricane Zeta maybe you guys haven’t heard about that one & getting a questionnaire just poured salt in the wound.Talk to you tomorrow,thanks for keeping up.

Great course in Central Ohio

Too often in central Ohio you find yourself on the same old course due to the landscape but Chapel Hill is not that course. Challenging hills and winding hole layouts provide an excellent day on the course!

Beautiful out of the way course

I was asked to play 18 holes at Chapel Hill Golf course in Mt. Vernon on a beautiful September Sunday. I had to make a choice between mowing the grass, watching the Browns or going golfing, guess which one I chose.
Chapel Hill Golf Course is located just outside of Mt. Vernon Ohio, so it really isn’t on your way to any place so if you go play here you are either a local or this was your destination and you chose to drive a good bit out of your way to play here. I had heard a lot of good things so I was looking forward to seeing the course.
We had a 10:30 tee time and having never been here I was surprised when upon following the GPS directions I pulled up in front of what appeared to be a large church on top of a hill. The reason it looks so much like a church is because it was one. The folks who built the course back in the 1990’s, purchased the campus of the former Mt. Vernon Bible College so what is now the club house and snack bar used to be the chapel for the college. I guess you could say that you were going to church but actually play golf without having told a lie.
The course was pretty busy, it was a beautiful day and there were tee times lined up before and after us. Cost to play was very reasonable, I opted for 18 holes which came with a free bucket of range balls or a drink ticket, which cost $42. Another option would have been for unlimited play including food and beverages, which cost $60 I think. The hitch in the unlimited beverages was there was no beverage service on the course so you were limited to what you could take out onto the course. Pace of play was average. We were waiting on each tee on another foursome in our group but never so long as to be annoying.
I really enjoyed the course, the distances were not so great as to be difficult for a hacker like myself, and for the most part the fairways were wide enough to manage to stay in them. There is water on 7 holes but there were no long carries over water so staying out of it isn’t particularly difficult.
The course website says they have 5 different tee lengths, I only noted four, we played from the white tees which made the course length to be 6034 yards. Playing from the golds (seniors) that dropped to 5221, from the magenta (ladies) tees it was 4621. Tee boxes were bent grass, greens were bent grass and Poa annua. Fairways were blue grass. The greens were in very good shape with the exception of unrepaired ball marks. The only green I was very disappointed with was #16, the shortest par 3 which has been damaged by so many high arcing iron shots slamming into it and not being repaired by person’s who must think that fixing a ball mark is beneath them.
The 4 par five holes range from 457 yards to 521, averaging 492yards (playing from the white tees). The Par fours average 345 yards each and range from 412 to 281 yards. The par threes average 155 yards ranging from 193 to 128 yards in length.
One of the neat features of the course was the 5 holes (I think it was 5) on the back 9 that were off through the woods and across a road. These five (or was it 4?) holes were for the most part shorter with very wide open fairways. Bigger hitters than me can drive the greens on 2 of the three par 4’s with ease. The problem in doing so was that 2 of these involved sharp doglegs so for going at the green would require you to carry a lot of trees to a green you can’t see. The alternative (for me the only choice) was to club down and drive the ball to the dogleg and take the easy chip on. I’m not used to having to make a selection other than a driver on anything other than a par 3, and I liked the availability of a high risk /reward for the big hitters, coupled with the availability of potential par and birdie opportunities for less aggressive hitters who place their shots precisely.
One feature of the course I did not like was the almost total absence of yardage markers. The website say the carts are equipped with GPS to tell the distances from anywhere on the course. Maybe that was true at one time but not today. There were a few well marked holes on the front 9 at the 150 yard mark, but nothing at 100 anywhere. Sprinkler heads had yardage markings on them if you happened to find a sprinkler head, but the addition of blue, white and red markers would be very helpful and easy to do. Mowing was a little lacking in the areas immediately off the fairway. The course is well watered and fertilized so the grass is still growing well even this late in the season. It would have been preferable to mow it a bit more tightly. I didn’t’ lose a ball in the rough, but I found a few from others who weren’t as lucky.
In all I very much enjoyed my round and found the 1 hour drive to get here to be time well spent. I would encourage you to make the trip to Knox county and play a round at the Chapel Hill Golf Course

Chapel Hill GC

Fun time with my husband -we enjoy outdoors, fresh air beautiful scenery and good golF!

good course fair pric

The course layout is very good, but the course gets a lot of play so the greens have a lot of ball marks that effect the roll. The traps could use some work but the fairways were nice even without much rain.. Overall the course is worth about $30 to play.

Great condition

Course lived up to everything I have heard lightning fast greens and well taken care of

Centerburg, Ohio