A fall view of a green at Blacklake Golf Resort

Type Public/Resort
Blacklake Golf Resort

Year Built 1965
Architect Ted Robinson, Sr. (1990)

Dress code Collared shirts must be worn at all times. No tanks tops or cut-offs.

Playing Multiple Courses 19

Frequently play

We enjoy playing Blacklake when we visit Pismo Beach nearly every September. We have noticed the course is not nearly as pretty and green as it was in earlier years.

Commented on 09/20/2021

We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Lakes/Canyon at Blacklake Golf Course.

Very hilly

Lots of up and down hills with blind tee shots. Lots of fun if you use your GPS and score card for directions.

Commented on 09/20/2021

Thank you for visiting us at Lakes/Canyon at Blacklake Golf Course. We appreciate your 4-star rating and review. We hope you join us for another round soon.

Commented on 08/24/2021

Hello and thank you for your 5-star rating! We're delighted you enjoyed your round. Please book another round with us soon, and thanks for choosing Lakes/Canyon at Blacklake Golf Course!

Commented on 08/18/2021

Hi, we appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you for the 4 stars! We aim for a 5-star experience, so we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Lakes/Canyon at Blacklake Golf Course.

Commented on 08/17/2021

Commented on 07/23/2021

Hi. We would love to hear more about your positive experience on our course. Please contact us to share with us your favorite part of your experience. Thanks for golfing at Lakes/Canyon at Blacklake Golf Course!

Worn out public course

This was my first visit to this course and first time playing a public course in over two years. The course and facilities seemed old and worn out. The fairways didn't have much grass or were bare is spots. The greens on the other hand were soft, lush, and played slower than I'm use to. I played the Oaks and Lakes courses where the Lakes better suited my play. I may give it another try next year in the Spring or Fall.

Commented on 07/14/2021

What a difference a couple of decades makes!

In the early 80s I played the original course. We were four guys in our 20s who made the trip up from Camarillo . It was a funky course with a tiny starter shack. It was paradise for four hackers. THEN came the development of what is now the Blacklake complex of homes and a imaginatively designed golf course. I came back in the early 90s only once, family obligations didn’t allow for further field trips. Today was intended as a visit to an old friend.

It was a bit shocking as the water shortages have taken a toll on the fairways now very spotty. In short the course just looks tired. The greens are excellent although the speed varies considerably from one hole to the next. The driving range is one of the worst I have ever used. The ball dispenser ran out however the starter was very apologetic and had it quickly refilled. The machine itself is clearly on its last legs. The range is reminiscent of the fields where I first learned to hit golf balls, missing only the cowpies. The balls have to be well over ten years old. They were the type ranges had when solid core balls first came in to being.

Our foursome played behind four guys who were so much like my friend and me, four decades earlier They were polite and apologetic though they didn’t need to be, We played the Oaks first …..you might want to keep your driver in the bag, and then we played the Lakes nine. After three holes we reached the tee and watched as the aforementioned foursome hit their second shots. Rather suddenly a twosome that included a third non playing woman approached, ABRUPTLY announced mind if we play through, and then IMMEDIATELY marched to our tee before waiting for an answer! We later learned they did the same to the foursome ahead of us. It was some of the most boorish behavior I ever encountered. At the conclusion of our round I reported it to the starter who seemed equally aghast.

The course is a beautiful layout which just makes it all the more sad for the lack of upkeep over the years. I told my friends, if I lived here I would volunteer to work a hole a week to just spruce it up repainted tee markers, painting a bridge’s rails and doing some weeding and trimming. With very little effort some of the courses fatigue would disappear. Lastly, the staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The Marshall whom they dub “ambassador” was particularly nice and clearly takes pride in his role making sure groups move along at a consistent pace.

More detail than you probably wanted or needed but overall it was a satisfying day.

Commented on 07/14/2021

Hi, Peter! Thank you so much for leaving us with your feedback. We value our customer experience, so your review is important to us.

Commented on 07/01/2021

We appreciate the review. You rated us 3-stars which means there is room to improve on your recent experience at Lakes/Canyon at Blacklake Golf Course. Let us know, in the comments, how and where you would like to see changes from the course. Thanks for the feedback!

Friendly staff

Second time playing golf at blacklack the staff have been soooo friendly especially the ambassador. I be back.

Commented on 07/01/2021

We are beyond happy to hear you enjoyed a great day at our course. Positive experiences make lifelong golfers. We look forward to many good times ahead with you, and we will pass on your kind words to those responsible so they can continue to help others enjoy great experiences at Lakes/Canyon at Blacklake Golf Course.

Commented on 06/25/2021

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave an excellent rating! We really appreciate your business. Please let us know what we can do for you in the future to earn that last star!

Not worth the price

Like an average muni with resort green fees. The practice facility is very poor. The condition of the course was very average. I would not pay more than $45 for a round on this course and they’re weekend green fees are $75+. Just not worth the money. If you are in the area visiting like I was to play a round of golf by the coast don’t waste your time here. Just pony up and play monarch dunes or cypress ridge. I will not be playing here again. Wish I would have known this before booking my tee time at the central coast.

Commented on 06/22/2021

We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We are going to pass on your feedback to the teams in charge so they can work to make changes. Thanks for visiting Lakes/Canyon at Blacklake Golf Course. We hope you'll give us another try in the future.

Commented on 06/22/2021

Hi. We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. Thank you we always welcome feedback for improvement. Thank you for playing Lakes/Canyon at Blacklake Golf Course.

Commented on 06/14/2021

Hello, thanks for taking the time to leave us a review. We see you rated the course 2-stars and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit. We take customer feedback very seriously at our course. Please reach out to our team in the golf shop and tell us what's on your mind. Thank you for playing Lakes/Canyon at Blacklake Golf Course.

Needs lots of work

Fairway grass is thin to none. Greens look like they’re maintained only weekly. Slow pace of play. Had other golfers pick up my ball on two different holes - scoundrels. The homes and vegetation around the course are lovely. Major issue with gophers on the Oaks.

Commented on 06/08/2021

Hi, Let us first say that we are so glad to hear you enjoyed your visit. We work hard to create a seamless experience with so you can focus on enjoying yourself and let us do the rest. We also want to thank you for your honest and constructive criticism of the course. Your comments are presented in a way we can incorporate them into actual change. We are going to escalate your review to our team in charge and do everything we can to improve before your next game. Thank you for visiting and playing at Lakes/Canyon at Blacklake Golf Course. We hope to see you again soon!

Commented on 05/27/2021

We appreciate you taking the time to review the course and rate us. We see you rated the course 1 star and are interested in learning what we can do to improve for your next visit. We take single star feedback very seriously at our course. You are welcome to comment further or reach out to our team in the golf shop. We always appreciate the feedback. Thank you for playing Lakes/Canyon at Blacklake Golf Course.

Best in the area.

This course is the consistently the best in the area.

Commented on 05/25/2021

Your feedback is important to us. Thank you for sharing your 5-star experience. We look forward to seeing you again at the course soon! Thanks for choosing Lakes/Canyon at Blacklake Golf Course.

Commented on 05/27/2021

Thank you for leaving us a review. We are sorry to hear your experience was anything short of 5 stars, but we hope you will give us another try in the future. Thank you for choosing Lakes/Canyon at Blacklake Golf Course.

Average

I know Covid is still screwing things up, but ball washers and trap rakes sitting in the sun? Come on, get real!

Commented on 05/26/2021

Wow! We are so happy you enjoyed your round! We look forward to seeing you again soon at Lakes/Canyon at Blacklake Golf Course.

Arroyo Grande, California
Grover Beach, California
Santa Maria, California
Santa Maria, California
Avila Beach, California
San Luis Obispo, California
MONTEREY, CA | Enjoy 2 nights’ accommodations at Quail Lodge & Golf Club and 2 rounds of golf at Carmel Valley Ranch and at Quail Lodge Golf Course.
MONTEREY, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Hyatt Regency Monterey Hotel and Spa and 3 rounds of golf at The Links at Spanish Bay™, Bayonet Golf Course and Poppy Hills Golf Course.
MONTEREY, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Embassy Suites by Hilton and 3 rounds of golf at Poppy Hills Golf Course, Black Horse Golf Course & Del Monte™ Golf Course.
FROM $1,037 (USD)
MONTEREY, CA | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at The Lodge at Pebble Beach™ and 4 rounds of golf at Pebble Beach Golf Links™, Spyglass Hill™, Pasatiempo & Bayonet Golf Courses.
ORANGE COUNTY, CA | Enjoy 2 nights’ accommodations at The Resort at Pelican Hill Newport Beach and 2 rounds of golf at Pelican Hill Golf Club - Ocean North & Ocean South Courses.