Style Links

Located just outside of Tacoma and less than an hour from Seattle, Chambers Bay sits along the shores of the Puget Sound. The golf course has a rugged and beautiful landscape that features a quarry with roots that date back to the Steilacoom Indian Tribe and the first European settlers in 1832. The layout was inspired by the classic links golf courses of Scotland and Ireland. Robert Trent Jones II designed the course. His challenging links design makes you feel as though you've been transported to the British Isles, even down to the seaside locale. The golf course tumbles across windswept sand dunes with native fescue grass lining the fairways. Wind is also an ever-present challenge on this wide-open layout. Chambers Bay has been a local favorite since opening and it is considered one of the finest golf courses in Washington.

Chambers Bay

Year Built 2007
Fairways Fescue Grass
Greens Fescue Grass
Architect Robert Trent Jones, Jr. (2007) Jay Blasi (2007)

Carts Yes - medical certificate required

Caddies Yes
Golf School Academy Yes - "Chambers Bay Academy"

Credit Cards Accepted Major credit cards are accepted.
Dress code Collared shirt required

Snacks, Restaurant

A Bucket list/Top 100 Pick 17

Knock out views with a layout to match

Top line: a famed course that has amazing views but some seriously fun golf holes.

I watche nearly every second of the US Open when it was at Chambers, so playing this course has been high on my list for some time. The layout of the course was spectacular. A great mix of shots, some tight holes some that are wide open. He one constant is that you want to be accurate off the tee because there are massive waste bunkers on the course. It is a little pricey (we splurged for caddies which was totally worth it) but if you have a chance the course was worth it.

Bottom line: play this course, it does not disappoint

Greens were bad this round

Greens were the slowest I’ve ever played them. Hairy and very bumpy. Made the tough putting even harder. Not to mention it was also the slowest round I’ve ever played here 5.5 hours...not the best chambers experience

Amazing Walk & Views

Definitely one of the longest walks I've made in Golf and worth every step. I would recommend the trip to play this gem and enjoy every second of it.

California Advisor

A MUST play

Played second of twilight tee time at 3:10. Initially saw a threatening rain shadow across the harbor so I was expecting the worst (or, Scottish weather). But, the rain faded and worked out to be a beautiful day. I would highly recommend a good pair of walking shoes for this course as it is a billy goat track. The course condition was excellent. The course is very challenging with elevation changes and undulating greens. It is very easy to three putt here. But, this was a very memorable round. A true bucket list.

Absolutely Amazing Views

There aren't many courses with views like Chambers Bay. The entire course over looks water. Course was in great shape and it was a great value at the afternoon greens fees.

Only thing it's missing is locker rooms.

Incentivized Review

Much improved grasses/greens

They have redone the greens in the last year’s. This is a huge improvement for an overall great golf course.

Incentivized Review

Chambers Bay

Beauty course. Challenging track. Excellent conditions. Great staff. Worth every penny

Great time

It’s my third time playing this course. I came with my brother because he has not played it yet. It’s a tough tough course but the hardest part about it is the walking can be very difficult. I’m 61 my brother 62 it was a little difficult to walk but very beautiful and scenic throughout the entire course. Would recommend getting a caddy for your foursome to help read the greens because they are pretty tough.

Great course and caddie - very poor security at course

Golf course was fantastic and our caddie Jason was excellent. After playing our round in less than 4 hours, we go to our rental SUV and find that it was broken into. We had thousands of dollars of items stolen and Chambers Bay's response was "this has happened quite a bit recently". We filled out an incident report at the course (we had to catch a flight) which they said would lead to a police report; that never happened. There are no security cameras or police oversight and they offered us absolutely nothing for our tremendous loss - that was amazing to my playing partner and I. We spent hundreds of dollars in the pro shop. I had to call the local police myself because I had a CPAP machine stolen. Course is great but management and staff are useless.

Best course I've ever played

I've been lucky enough to play on a lot of great courses in the US but Chambers Bay is, hands down, the best I've ever played. I can't speak to what the greens were like before they redid them but they are perfect. The scenery on just about every hole is spectacular. And, each hole is so well designed the whole course is a literal masterpiece. I now want to play everything RTJ Jr. has designed.

New Greens are amazing

Third time playing the course. Gets better everytime. Marshall pushed my bag up the hill between 12 and 13. Beautiful day. Greens are better then ever. Great day all together.

Amazing! Great New Greens.

The greens have been redone with new grass and they are great. Course is absolutely amazing! Great views. Demanding shots and fast greens. It’s walking only and it’s a lot of hilly terrain that adds another dynamic to the round. Highly recommend. My caddie Jimmy was awesome! Good course knowledge and great to talk to on the course. A caddy is a must for first time players.

Texas Advisor

You should just burn your $275 instead

Talk about a colossal disappointment. Wow. I’ve previously rated this course as a 5-star but this place has turned into a bottom dweller. These greens are the worst I have ever played. They are closing the course in October to replace all the greens but that does not mean you stop caring for the current ones when you’re charging $275 to play this dump. Awesome routing. Dumpster fire conditions. Horrible value.

Commented on 05/26/2019

You should check out the new greens...They are amazing.

Chamber's Bay

Just played there last week. Course itself and layout were awesome. Paid twilight rate which was even better. Would have given it 5 stars but the green complexes suck right now with the bumpy and not pure fescue greens. Even worse, during the round you end up playing 3 holes of the 18 on Poa Annua grass which were great and pure so gauging speed and line on those vs the horrible fescue in the middle of the round was really just crazy. Never have played anything like that with two different putting surfaces on a highly ranked course. Great course but wait until they rebuild the greens this winter. They will finally represent the great layout of the course next year and it will be worth 5 stars then. If you are going soon, I suggest playing twilight to pay less than rack rate.

I don't get it--so much potential

First the positive--The views are world class. The layout is hard, fair and beautiful. Everyone I met was awesome--friendly, helpful, and knowledgeable. The weather was perfect--light to a strong breeze that hit you in different ways on different holes that made it challenging.
Now the walkaway feeling--Why am I paying $150 for the worst greens I have ever played? I would explain it as--a club that just punched the greens and sanded them about 2 weeks prior. 3 years removed from the same complaints at the US Open, I can only figure they want it that way. If that is true, they need to "fix" the practice green, because that green was great. I play courses all around the Pacific Northwest and I wouldn't recommend this one.
Oh, and the clubhouse---similar to the par 3 muni course by my house--really? You had a US Open here and you have golfers paying big bucks to pay every day. I am assuming they would want a first class club house shopping experience. I generally buy a shirt or hat everyplace. I didn't and wasn't compelled to.

Lakewood, Washington