ShadowGlen Golf Club

Year Built 2003
Fairways TifSport Bermuda Grass
Greens TifEagle Grass
Architect Roy Bechtol (2003) Randolph P. Russell (2003)

Dress code Appropriate golf attire

Tough track, but nice to run on!

This course is pretty difficult for this 15-19 handicapper, but I scored well thanks to really good course conditions. The fairways are in excellent shape. All but one or two greens are also in great shape. The back nine is really interesting because the natural terrain was kept when the course was built. As a result, there are some interesting holes. The front nine is a bit less interesting, but still fun to play. I'll most certainly be back.

Commented on 04/16/2021

Thanks for your great review and for being positive about the condition of the greens when they are not up to our standards! We hope to see you out here again soon

Spriklers kept going off

Good course for the money but on 4 different holes the sprinklers went off. Ridiculous

Commented on 04/14/2021

We are extremely sorry about the sprinklers going off, this should never happen and I hope that otherwise you had an enjoyable round !

Assume greens suffered from winter freeze

I last played the course in Feb 2020 so I know the condition of the greens is not normal. Fairways were great. Pace of play on the front was excellent but a young couple jumped in front of us at the turn and they were terribly slow. After 5 holes, we did call the clubhouse and someone came out and had them let us play on through.which was greatly appreciated.

Terrible greens

Fairways were in great condition. Greens were atrocious

Shadowglen 4/10/21

the fairways were in the best condition I think I've ever seen them here, but the excitement of walking on number one fairway was quickly eliminated by the awful shape of the greens. Bare spots, sand and what appears to be poa(?) popping up all over every green made putting an adventure to say the least. Hard to think about wanting to play there again until the greenskeeper and their team get the greens back to some sort of reasonable shape.

Commented on 04/11/2021

Chrissz, thank you for your feedback We are sorry about the condition of the greens; obviously this is due to the recent historic freeze but our maintenance crew has been doing everything in their power to bring them back and I can assure you they'll be losing sleep until we get them back to normal. Unfortunately we've had some cooler nights in the 40's the past week and this keeps the Bermuda dormant. Expect a big improvement in the next week!

Fun day

Beautiful day and a great time out at ShadowGlen. I enjoyed the layout, it was challenging and diverse yet fair. Fairways were magnificent, greens not so much but that’s to be expected given the recent winter storm. Only complaint though Is that they need to hire more staff. It’s a Saturday afternoon I don’t expect a 4 hour round but they literally have one high school kid starting and marshaling the whole course, one guy in pro shop....

Commented on 04/12/2021

Thank you for your review I am glad you enjoyed the course. Also, thank you for understanding why the greens are the way they are right now and for being patient with us, we are working hard to get them back. Lastly, we are working on hiring more Marshalls; we are just trying to find the best people for the job!

RSJ

Fairways were excellent, but the greens were horrible!

In previous times that I have played this course, the greens ere good and fairways average....but I found the reverse to be true this week.

Fairways outstanding

Haven’t been here in over a year the fairways are probably the best in the area could not believe the condition give them a 10 rating the greens another matter they are in pitiful shape very little grass rate a 1 took 5 hours to play the round course was packed

Commented on 04/12/2021

Thank you for your review. We realize the greens are not in the best shape right now and we appreciate you coming out. Unfortunately we've had some cooler nights in past few weeks that prevent the Bermuda from growing at all, but we expect major improvements in the next few weeks

Great track

Wow! Love this course. Bid3n Sniffs Little Girls. Can't believe I've never come out here in the 10 years I've lived down here. Excellent layout front 9 is flatter, has some water and back 9 is more hilly and has some drastic elevation changes. Be prepared to hit every club in your bag though, you will have lots of sidehill lies. Tough but fair and the wind makes it fun because there's a lot of holes downwind. "You ever been to a caucus?…No you haven’t. You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier". Very friendly and helpful staff, great pro shop

Commented on 04/12/2021

Thanks for your excellent review. We are so glad you enjoyed the course so much. Come back soon!

Slowest round in a year

I showed up an hour early to hit range balls...the range machine was empty and it took them so long to fill it that I couldn’t hit balls before the round. Today’s round took 5 hours and 15 minutes to complete. A solid 55 minutes slower than their advertised pace of play, and we saw the Marshall 1 time...because we called about slow play. I don’t know who is running this place now but they need to start having a Marshall on the course more regularly, this was crazy.

Commented on 04/02/2021

Sorry you had a bad experience Whatthecob. We are currently hiring more Marshall’s to help with pace of play and you should never have to wait for range balls either. If someone didn’t create a virus that caused factories to shut down like those that produce range balls, we could have eliminated your wait!

It was fine

The fairways were in good shape, but everything else was pretty rough. The greens weren’t good. One of the biggest frustrations was the lack of yardage markers. They had some sprinklers marked, but those weren’t very easy to find.

Commented on 04/02/2021

Sorry you felt the conditions were poor after one of the worst winter storms in Texas history. We have been focused on helping the course recover and we have plans to mark the course in the near future.

Always a good choice

You can’t go wrong with playing Shadow. The course is in better shape than most right now, and they’ve got the best beer selection

Commented on 03/31/2021

We like the way you think! Hope to see you out here again this weekend

Haven’t played here in awhile

We haven’t played here in a pretty long time but everything has gone up hill! They just had some clubhouse renovations and the course is in great shape for this time of year! Really excited to see how it is in the coming months. The one thing I’ve always heard about shadowglen is that they have excellent beverage cart service but we didn’t see her until we were on 18 today around 12:45 so be sure to stop at the turn just in case. Other than that we had a great time and will be adding it to our regular courses!

Commented on 03/29/2021

Thanks for your great review and for noticing all of the improvements we have made, there are many more on the way! We apologize that you had to wait so long for beverage cart service; normally on weekends we have two beverage carts but unfortunately yesterday we were down to just one. Thanks for coming out we hope to see you again soon!

Just brilliant

This was the first time I had played at ShadowGlen and I will 100% be going back.

The course was in brilliant order. Some tricky holes which require good course management.

After golf in the bar area we couldn’t have felt any more at home. Staff were friendly and very helpful. Food was delicious as well. Facilities were tidy

Great parkland course one of best in the Austin area

Fascinating design lovely condition

We had a lovely time at ShadowGlen. Pace was a bit slow to start but then smoothed out, we never felt rushed at any point and all of the other golfers were friendly and we have a good impression of this place. Course was fantastic, it was great to see such lush green fairways, tee blocks in good shape. Play off 3.4, found it rather challenging but plenty of scoring opportunities. Rather hilly, especially on back 9 so can be a slog to walk. The paths and buggy tracks were in better shape than other courses we have played. Staff were friendly and helpful nothing too much trouble for them

Commented on 03/29/2021

Thanks for your very nice and thorough review, we are glad you had such a great time this weekend and hope to see you out here again!

Pflugerville, Texas