View of the 18th hole at ShadowGlen Golf Club.

ShadowGlen Golf Club

Year Built 2003
Fairways TifSport Bermuda Grass
Greens TifEagle Grass
Architect Roy Bechtol (2003) Randolph P. Russell (2003)

Dress code Appropriate golf attire

Poor Fairways and Greens for Price

Overall not happy with the conditions of the course, especially for the price they charged. The fairways were in horrible conditions. I love the layout of this course but they need to start charging accordingly to the conditions of the course. I have no problem paying their green fee when the course conditions are kept up. I do however have a problem paying their green fee with the conditions this course is currently in. May be a while before I go back.

Good Course

This is a more difficult course than the average one. I recommend playing the set of tees up one from where you normally play at other courses. The tee boxes were shaggy, but that may have been from being unable to mow due to recent rains. Otherwise, the course was enjoyable. I‘ll be back,

Commented on 09/21/2022

Thanks for your review. The drought thinned out a lot of our tee boxes so we recently fertilized them to get them grown in before the cool weather arrives.

Great layout

I enjoy playing this course as it’s layout is very challenging but fair a great value.

ShadowGlen - Still A Great Golf Course

Okay, I’m continuing to report on courses that I’m finally replaying after going on a 5-plus year golf hiatus following a catastrophic skiing accident in 2015. Next up is ShadowGlen, which was part of my regular golf course rotation since it opened in 2004. I had made a 7:52 tee time as a single on a hot and humid mid-August morning, and was paired with an ophthalmologist visiting Austin from Florida - Dan, the personable Starter, sent us out as a twosome. There was a threesome in front of us, but they appeared to be competent golfers, and there was little or no waiting for them on any of the tee boxes. During the front nine, the course seemed somewhat different from how I remembered it, but I learned from the Marshal that the back and front nines had been flipped several years before. It’s still an interesting layout, with some really entertaining golf holes, but also with some puzzling ones as well. Holes #13 and #16 immediately come to mind - the split upper and lower fairways and the difficult elevated green on #13 seem like odd course design, and the blind shots and uneven fairways on the par-5 #16 can really challenge your game before you finally spot the green, but not before you’re almost on top of it. The golf course was in somewhat fair condition, despite the hellish Texas summer heat and almost complete lack of recent rainfall. The greens had been recently punched for maintenance, but still rolled acceptably well, considering that. We had regular visits from the beverage cart, and the aforementioned Marshal was spotted numerous times - as noted, pace of play was very good for a busy Friday morning. I thoroughly enjoyed ShadowGlen, and would like to return, but I only have one real misgiving about the course. The green fee was $85.52 + $3.00, and they do not honor senior rates on weekends - as much as I enjoyed ShadowGlen, it is not an (almost) $90-level venue, but maybe that’s the new normal caused by the Golf Boom, I’m just out of touch….

Should have read reviews before coming out

I had high hopes for this course. Looked on website and was thoroughly intrigued. Came out with wife and my brother and his wife, neither of our wives play often yet we were constantly waiting on group ahead of us to hit... We brought this up to a Marshall yet he didn't appear to do anything and was non existent for most of our round. Back 9 smelled like weed and also our cart was disgusting and had what looked to be like soda or juice spilled in console area to the point that it was sticky and gross and had cigarette tobacco flakes sticking to it, and it also maybe had bolts loose somewhere as it was rattling the entire time. Course itself was beat up, fairways especially. None of bunkers were raked not sure if that's group in front of us fault or not but pretty annoying when you pay $200 for your wife and you for rounds, water and a beer and snack, range balls and a bag of tees. Maybe I'm just being harsh as a ClubCorp member? But honestly I feel like this course could be really cool it just needs a management company and some investment

Summer in Texas conditions

Fairways were pretty beat up and very dry. Greens were shaggy and slow. Bunkers were hard-packed with very little sand. The pace of play was great since we only saw 5-6 other people out there. It was 105... Good price and value if you just want to get out and play. Lower your expectations on the conditions.

Slow pace

Friday morning round took 5 hours. Tons of marshals on the course (I saw one every other hole it seemed) yet no explanation why the pace is slow. Guess that’s what you get when they book tee times 9 minutes apart. Greens had been punched and sanded, some fairways had issues with no grass in areas but overall in decent shape considering the lack of rain.

Wish I had known...

I've played this course many times and it is usually in good conditions, especially the fairways and greens. Tee boxes have had issues for a while. But this July 4 we played and the greens were punched and frankly, horrible. I wish we had known because the Holiday/weekend rate of $89 is way too high for a course with bad tee boxes AND bad greens. Honestly, not really puttable. I realize this is necessary for the long-term health of the course, but the rate should reflect the conditions of the course - it was not worth $89.

So overpriced

This course used to be a great value, now it’s overhyped overpriced

Usually better than this...

We paid a rather high $89, assuming it was the highest weekend/holiday rate. The greens had been punched and were not good at all. This course is barely worth this rate when the greens are good, but certainly not when the greens are bad. The tee boxes are also not good. The fairways were generally ok, but hadn't been mowed and were a little long. The pro/staff are very friendly, but I wish we had known the condition of the greens... should have asked.

Shadow Glen- terrible condition

Great layout but the condition of the course was terrible. Dead spots and weeds everywhere. Looked like it hadn’t been watered in a month.

Pflugerville, Texas
Hutto, Texas
Round Rock, Texas
Lost Pines, Texas
AUSTIN, TX | Enjoy 3 nights' accommodations at Horseshoe Bay Resort and 3 rounds of golf on Horseshoe Bay's Apple Rock, Ram Rock, & Slick Rock Courses.
SAN ANTONIO, TX | Come play where the pros play! Enjoy 3 nights’ accommodations at the JW Marriott San Antonio Hill Country Resort & Spa and 2 rounds of golf at TPC San Antonio (The Canyons & The Oaks Courses), site of the PGA Tour’s Valero Texas Open.
SAN ANTONIO, TX | Enjoy 2 nights' accommodations at La Cantera Resort & Spa and 2 rounds of golf at La Cantera Resort - Resort Course.