Deerfield Golf Club in Newark, Del., is a 145-acre public course, billed as a “natural treasure.” The 18-hole championship course gets the moniker thanks to its surroundings -- the ancient forest of White Clay Creek State Park. The 145-acre play, acquired by the state of Delaware in 2005, is a par-70, 6,323-yard golf course that features rolling terrain, smooth bent grass putting surfaces and scenic vistas. The mix of memorable, distinctive holes adds to the difficulty, as does the memorable, heavily wooded setting and dramatic elevation changes. Before or after your round at Deerfield Golf Club, enjoy the large putting green, full-service practice range, or lighted tennis and paddleball courts.

Deerfield Golf Club

Year Built 1955
Fairways Rye
Greens Bent
Architect William F. Gordon (1955)

Dress code No cargo pants, tank tops or denim.

Clubhouse, Meeting Facilities, Banquet Facilities

Tennis

Why is Golf Now a serious choice

Why book a tee time through GolfNow when you can call the course or go on line to the course website and get the same tee-times directly without a "convenience fee"? The only reason is for the Hot Deals which are limited times and the only way you can use a GolfNow gift card balance. That makes no sense to me. As soon as I choose a "Hot Deal" to get rid of my balance on a card I was gifted, GolfNow will be in my rearview mirror

Hard as Heck

If you are a bogey golfer or above steer clear hard course, great conditions great staff, great food. Layout is great but it is hard.

Best Public Course in Delaware

Difficult but fair Greens a tad fast. (Not sure if greens keeper was upset?) Hole placements were interesting Layout- elevation! Holes #’s 8,9,10. Toughest 3 holes I’ve played this year. Worth the 50 min drive

Thanks but no thanks

What a shame. This course was a great layout and in good shape. But the staff completely ruined our golf experience. Our check in and warm up went fine. The atmosphere was great at the beginning. The front nine were pleasant. However, starting on hole nine—it went downhill quickly. The ranger approached us and told us we were told on that one of the guys in our group brought outside beers onto the course and that we needed to have our bags searched or we could not continue with the round. Completely ridiculous. We went back to the car between 9 & 10 and returned the two beers he brought on. They said they would “lose their liquor license” if people brought outside alcohol onto the course. Cute excuse, obviously the cart girl was just mad we didn’t buy anything or tip her and she ratted him out. Yikes. I understood the petty beer thing being brought on and thought that would be the end of things since we abided by their request to return any alcohol to the car. But nope. On the 13th hole, a ranger again approached our group and told us we needed to hurry our play up and that we were in danger of being forced to skip holes because we were “holding up the whole course”. No less than 3 minutes later, the same ranger returned to tell us we were REALLY slow and again in danger of being forced to skip holes. Never even gave us a chance to speed up (even though we weren’t playing slow to begin with). He then followed us up the fairway and green for the remainder of the hole in one of the more uncomfortable exchanges I’ve ever experienced on a golf course in my life. We teed off at 8:40, we finished at 12:45. We had one guy in our group of 4 playing his second ever golf round. Four hours and 5 mins for that isn’t slow at all IMO. In any event, I will not be back. I run a small business and it’s a true shame when you have experiences like this. Above all else, you are wanting people to feel welcomed at your establishment. For the last 9 holes I felt so uncomfortable I remarked to the guys I would be ok leaving early after just paying nearly $80. Good luck in the future with your course.

Decent shape

Early in the season and greens were not in great shape but very playable and a beautiful day

Great course in excellent shape

I would highly recommend this course, very well taken care of.

4/17/21

Excellent experience. Pro shop staff very friendly, especially Heather. Course in very good condition, very hilly. Local knowledge a must, lots of cool dogleg holes and elevation changes. Tee shot on 10th hole really fun, greens ran pretty quick, lots of subtle breaks. Friendly beverage cart girl, good sausage sandwich. Cart kids could work a little harder, didn’t touch my bag on way in or out, could have earned a better tip, sorry. Would definitely come back again.

Challenging Layout

Was pleasantly surprised by this course. Recommended by a friend, it was a great but challenging round. Every hole brings in some form of elevation challenge. For March and after a few days of rain, the course was in excellent shape. Greens were quick. Now that I have an idea of this course and a general understanding of the layout, I will definitely be back to play again.

Tough test

Always a challenging course made more difficult with faster greens, tough pin placements and bumpy greens. I don't know when they aeriated but I hope they improve soon. Lots of tree debris everywhere too

Great late afternoon round

Teed off at 4:20 pm, front nine was slow but then opened up on the back. Course was in good condition considering all the rain we had. Staff was very friendly and helpful.

Newark, Delaware