The Tattersall Youth Development Center at The First Tee Chesterfield Golf Course, as well as the First Tee of Richmond, was established to provide educational golf programs for junior players. This comprehensive learning facility includes an 18-hole golf course, a three-hole practice loop, a large grass practice tee, a putting green, and a short-game practice area. There's also a staff of qualified coaches and golf instructors that can help you improve your score no matter what your weakness is. As a learning course, it might not be what low handicappers are looking for if they want a challenge, but it's a perfect place for beginners and high handicappers to get some practice with the game. The layout is very forgiving with wide-open fairways that offer plenty of room. The greens are fast and sometimes framed with bunkers. There are several par-3 holes that will give you a chance to work on your short game.

The Tattersall Youth Development Center at The First Tee Chester

Architect Lester George (2000)

Carts Yes - $12

Golf Simulator Yes
Practice Hole Yes

Single Allowed No

...Forgot how bad this course was!!

This course is barely A step above the driving range! It's pretty bad when you get an eagle on a hole but you can't count it because the par-5 was only 421 yards! The course layout is as crummy as it gets too! I have to remind myself... Don't go back!

Commented on 05/03/2021

Ok... it's a youth development center, but I was more frustrated with the conditions than anything!! And 421 yard holes should be par 4s, youth development center or not!! Although I never saw 1 kid out there the whole day, I feel bad that they have to play such a crummy course!!

Commented on 05/02/2021

It is a YOUTH development center.

Try once and Return many

Try it once. I guarantee you come back and score the next round.

Very Playable

Course was in good shape, for time of year. Greens were very nice. Reduction of gnarly grass, around greens and bunkers, was greatly appreciated. This was probably do to time of year, do to minimal growth, this time of year. I wish that would be the protocol, year round. Staff at counter was very helpful and friendly.

Early in the season in Richmond

I have played this course numerous times and the current conditions are consistent with the emergence from winter and recent ice storms. At current the tee boxes, fairways and greens are various shades of brown and tan. It will begin to green up with the continued coming of spring. I will be back.

I Don't Like the Grass Around Greens

The course was generally in good shape. I object to the long, wryly, gnarly grass in various places around the course, but especially, around the greens. Ending up in that after hitting good shots, the reward is too often having to play out of these over-challenging areas. For the average "Sunday Golfer", I would enjoy playing on the course, a lot more, if this gnarly grass, wasn't so prevalent, and most significantly, around the greens.
Art DeVita

Some continual problems; 1 situational problem

Unfortunately, there are many places on the course, that are not well drained. This day the course was extremely wet and muddy, following rain from 2 days earlier.
My other disappointment was that the grass was too long, both on the fairways as well as around the greens and sand traps. It is especially unacceptable, to be losing balls in the fairway. Around the bunkers and greens, the grass is 4-5 inches long, which is hard to play from, and many balls are lost there on a continual basis.

$8.50 for a bucket of range balls???

New clubhouse, that’s it. Nothing else is different. Range balls are totally ridiculous. You can get range balls from Independence Golf Course cheaper and these two courses aren’t even in the same universe.

Still, if you are a beginner and/or are working on your short game, not a terrible track, but not a course that I would revisit a lot, like Vineterra, or Dogwood Trace, which offer comparable pricing.

Unfortunate experience

I play here often. Pace is usually slow, but what do you expect from an affordable public course? However, lately there has been chaos and today I couldn't have had a worse experience. Scheduled a tee time as a single at 8:10. I was happy to be added to another group but the the other 3 people of my tee time were nowhere to be found. I was told that "all those groups are behind you, so go tee off". I got to the first tee and there were multiple foursomes that had tee'd off, and one group on the box with a much later tee time ready to tee off. They let me play through reluctantly. Play was so slow that I was able to play through the groups ahead. The last group let me play through, only to call the clubhouse and complain! The cart guy raced out to tell me that I couldn't play through because "they were the first group and you've caught up to the maintenance guys". So after completely misshandling all tee times in the morning, I do my diligence to play through, to only be told I couldn't continue because I "wasn't the first group" and i've caught up to the mowers. What a joke! After 10 holes I had to leave, with no chance of a refund from Golfnow.

Long story short, if you want to play here, come in the afternoon on a weekday. All other times are a mess, with no starter, and no order to tee times. There is a large contingent of senior foursomes that prevent any chance of having a good round in the morning. This is not in line with the mission of the First Tee.

Great little course

My buddies and I are getting into golf and decided to play here on a whim. Course facilities seem nice enough. Welcoming type of atmosphere.

Carts were nice and clean. Semi newer looking as well.

I think there were 8 or 9 par 3s out there?

Greens were pretty slow and beat up a little bit from other golfers not fixing their dents.

Would return again and thanks for having us.

1st T Chesterfield

Course is in very good shape, shame on those golfers that won’t fix their divots on the greens though, that’s the only knock I can give the course, greens are being abused

First Tee

Staff was very professional and courteous. There was a senior league from another course and the pace was pretty slow. Course was in great shape. This course is for all levels of play. You only get to hit driver several times but using your 3 fairway wood can get you in play. Greens was rolling great. All in all a fun day at the course. Great job.

Midlothian, Virginia