Type Private

Year Built 1954
Architect William F. Bell (1954)

Meeting Facilities, Banquet Facilities

Tennis

California Advisor

Antelope Valley... not a Country Club!

Rode the Blues (6710/71.7/127) in 4H, 40M mid day. Windy, clear and in the 60's made for challenging scoring conditions.

First time here, and did not have high expectations based on the reviews I had read. Got there before my tee time and the pro shop told me I could go next if I wanted to after the 4some that just was teeing off. Before I even left the pro shop, he told a younger 4some that strolled in they were up next? Assume they were members? No explanation, made for a poor first impression.

The guys that were moved in front of me were drinking, betting and having a good time. One member of their group routinely hit multiple shots before we could tee off. After a very long first hole, I joined a 2some for the rest of the front. They quit because of the pace after 9. The 2some behind me declined to join up on the back and quit after 11. The 3some behind them joined me for the remainder and we waited on every shot. Kviser would have had a coronary before the back 9!

Course is old school, not a bad layout even if nothing distinctive. Older, dated Country Club that opens up play to the public certain days to survive. IMO more comparable to an L.A. County muni than a Country Club.

Tees were okay, most divots were filled in and the coverage was decent.

Fairways were poor. Dormant Bermuda and hardpan. You were lucky to get a thin lie.

Rough was even worse. Dormant Bermuda with much greater areas of hardpan. I hit probably 8 shots today off dirt in areas I would expect to be finding grass.

Traps were decent for a course in a windy area. More raked dirt than sand, but they played okay.

Greens were excellent. Fastest greens I have putted on since I cannot remember. Combination of firm, fast and the wind made them almost unputtable downhill, especially if also downwind. Very smooth, but once the ball go rolling downhill on many greens I watched putt after putt end up in the rough.

Carts did not have GPS, no on course services. Course is not well marked for yardages, most holes had 100/150/200 yard markers. Well stocked pro shop and they appeared to have an open restaurant. Overall, the course did not meet even lowered expectations. The combination of remote location and poor playing conditions make this a course I could not recommend. My rating will be artificially high because the greens were so good, but from tee to fringe I rarely play courses in this poor of condition. One and done for me.

Palmdale, California
Palmdale, California
Lancaster, California
Lancaster, California
Lake Elizabeth, California
Llano, California
Santa Clarita, California
Newhall, California

Two round of golf and a night of lodging in one of our 4-bedroom Stay & Play luxury townhomes, including access to fine dining for dinner at Champs and Rockers.